Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Potts flushed

I see CEO Randy Potts is out as of today. Thanks for Lippert slides, the lack of QC and what I think is a sales, not customer focus. Boy, this may hurt Tiffin sales.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I fail to see the connection between Winnebago and Tiffin sales?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

He was CEO and chairman of Winnebago Industries.
Potts has retired from his positions effective Thursday, the company announced.

Former CEO and Chairman Robert Olson will take over as interim CEO as Winnebago searches for a new chief executive.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quality control is not hard to achieve, the management has to care enough for it to filter down through everyone in the operation. Allowing systems to continue to be fitted knowing the number of warranty job is mounting daily is not the way forward. And if senior management are not reviewing warranty information regularly and making changes, the system ends up where I suspect Winnebago is at the moment.
On my third trip to Forest City in the first 12 months of ownership, for the same issues, bearing in mind it takes 3 months to get an appointment.

Hope the new guy understands that we, the customer, are what makes a business successful.

Yeah, and I love my 2014 30T, but the slide squeaks and rattles test me!

Pete

2014 Vista 30T
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersharkjd View Post
I see CEO Randy Potts is out as of today. Thanks for Lippert slides, the lack of QC and what I think is a sales, not customer focus. Boy, this may hurt Tiffin sales.
I'm not sure exactly what this post is about. Is it just a general rant, or do you have any specifics or facts that you would like to provide for the rest of us?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
I'm not sure exactly what this post is about. Is it just a general rant, or do you have any specifics or facts that you would like to provide for the rest of us?
As a publicly traded Company, Winnebago must immediately disclose any significant change in management. If you check the "news" for Winnebago on most stock quote systems, you will find the Company press release on Thursday. You will also find it on Winnebago's web site in the "Investor Relations" section. Personally, I think Potts did a tremendous job expanding and particularly updating product lines that has made Winnebago arguably the industry leader once again. They will be big shoes to fill.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
As a publicly traded Company, Winnebago must immediately disclose any significant change in management. If you check the "news" for Winnebago on most stock quote systems, you will find the Company press release on Thursday. You will also find it on Winnebago's web site in the "Investor Relations" section. Personally, I think Potts did a tremendous job expanding and particularly updating product lines that has made Winnebago arguably the industry leader once again. They will be big shoes to fill.
So what did Potts have to do with Tiffin? Still confused.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Maybe now Winnebago can get back into what they were known for, building a quality product, not just putting together a bunch of Lippert junk, slides, jacks, steps, windows, and anything supplied by the lowest bidder. They should hire a VP of Quality Control to gather info as to what percentage of their production has to return to the factory or dealer for repair under warranty, there has to be a reason why there is a 3 month wait for factory service! My suggestion would be to open East and West Coast Factory Repair Centers to take the load off Forest City, free up some workers to add to production and quality control.
CFSUNRISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
So what did Potts have to do with Tiffin? Still confused.
FWIW, I think he was implying that renewed quality at WBGO may have a negative impact on Tiffin sales. Apparently the OP thinks that some of the potential WBGO buyers opted for Tiffin coaches during Mr. Potts tenure, and that NOW they may come back to WBGO.

Personally, I think that is a bit of a stretch, but time will tell.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
FWIW, I think he was implying that renewed quality at WBGO may have a negative impact on Tiffin sales. Apparently the OP thinks that some of the potential WBGO buyers opted for Tiffin coaches during Mr. Potts tenure, and that NOW they may come back to WBGO.

Personally, I think that is a bit of a stretch, but time will tell.

Edgrey, thanks for that clarification! That's the first thing in this thread that has made sense!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-10-2015, 06:39 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I seriously doubt that Potts' departure had to do with quality issues. Sudden departures like this usually have more to do with moral or medical issues. If it has anything to do with quality issues, Winnebago would have put some quality improvement program's in place before firing the CEO.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

ChasA
That might be true but according to Winnebago's press release of 8-6-15, the same day Randy Potts retired, the Lead Indepdent Director said " After having extensive discussions with Randy we collectively agreed that this is an appropriate time for new leadership". Someone on either side was not happy with something.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

CSUNRISE,
Yes, I read the press release. I think you made leap into a huge chasm by attributing Potts' departure to Winnebago using LCI parts. The press release gave no reason. Agreeing to part company can have many reasons.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

It is all about the $ numbers. My new coach was delivered with a punch list of 14 items that should have been addressed prior to leaving Forest City. The RV forums are full of QC issues. It's like a computer... Junk in, Junk out. Winnebago at one time was proud of the fact that they manufactured most items in house such as windows, no more, they are LCI as well, very poor quality compared to what Winnebago made several years ago. My statement was that Winnebago has a QC problem not only the LCI issue from the bottom of the line-to the $500,000 coaches. To much time spent pushing out product than to what quality they are producing. My selling dealer took delivery of a new ordered $ 500,000 Itasca coach where the paint on one side didn't match the other side and finally sent it back.
End of story.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
He was CEO and chairman of Winnebago Industries.
Potts has retired from his positions effective Thursday, the company announced.

Former CEO and Chairman Robert Olson will take over as interim CEO as Winnebago searches for a new chief executive.
According to an article on RVB, Olson is leaving, too.

QUOTE:
Winnebago Industries Inc. announced that Robert J. Olson notified the Board of Directors that, effective Sept. 24, he will be stepping down as the interim CEO.
According to a new release, if the CEO position has not been filled by Sept. 24, Chairman Larry Erickson will temporarily fill the position. Olson, who retired in January of 2012, assumed the role following the Aug. 6 retirement of former Chairman, President and CEO Randy Potts.
Erickson noted, “We thank Bob for stepping into the CEO role during this time of transition for the company and wish him well in his retirement. We are continuing our search for a permanent CEO and are confident we will have the position filled in the near future. Things are looking positive at Winnebago and we are very excited about the possibilities that await us. To the extent necessary, I will step into the role of CEO for a short period of time until a permanent CEO is named.” END QUOTE
Old 10-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

You might want to look at the 4th quarter financial figures and rethink your statement about quality issues and Randy Potts departure.