Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Power Gear

We have a new 2016 Journey 42E that is having issues with the leveling control pad going into full alarm, all lights blinking and alarm dinging, when I use the exhaust brake mainly but will also do it if I hit the brake hard by itself. It did this on my first test run before we purchased and it did it on our way home after we purchased it. The dealer was unable to find the problem and basically told us we are on our own.
I have tried to contact Lippert via phone twice as well as 2 times on their web site that says they will get back to you within 2 business days. The first I let it go for over a week then made the second attempt. It's been 3 business days and no reply. What is a person to do? I'm disappointed to say the least with the dealer, Winnebago, and Lippert.
Any one have any ideas what I can check on my own?
dw624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

check the fluid level in the leveler's hydraulic tank - if it's too low this may be a system warning, aggravated by the engine/braking...
49 US States(including ALASKA) & 10 Canadian Provinces
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw624 View Post
We have a new 2016 Journey 42E that is having issues with the leveling control pad going into full alarm, all lights blinking and alarm dinging, when I use the exhaust brake mainly but will also do it if I hit the brake hard by itself. It did this on my first test run before we purchased and it did it on our way home after we purchased it. The dealer was unable to find the problem and basically told us we are on our own.
I have tried to contact Lippert via phone twice as well as 2 times on their web site that says they will get back to you within 2 business days. The first I let it go for over a week then made the second attempt. It's been 3 business days and no reply. What is a person to do? I'm disappointed to say the least with the dealer, Winnebago, and Lippert.
Any one have any ideas what I can check on my own?
We have the identical rig with identical symptoms - 2 months old. Fluid level was just barely below the line but added some anyway to just above the fill line. Several hundred miles since - no more alarms.
KenandCyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Fluid level was slightly above the line checked by me and confirmed by dealer.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Looking for info and journey owners
Joanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Since Power Gear was bought out, I have to wonder what the heck is going on with that brand? Does anybody know the real truth? Seems so many slide and leveling system problems since 2013. Before that date, not so much.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

If it is happening on either hard air or engine braking, I would start with the no brainer.
Your jack reservoir needs more fluid. Add some.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I guess you didn't read that the fluid level was checked first by me and then by the dealer. It was slightly above the line as stated above.
As of this date 10/20 after trying to contact Lippert twice via their online contact form, which says they'll get back to you within 2 business days, I haven't heard a thing. I don't think waiting 3 weeks for contact is acceptable. And before you make another smart comment about calling them, I tried that twice too.
This is a new rig and under warranty until June of 17. As it stands now we are at our winter spot until next spring so I'll be dealing with it more then.
My other point of the original post was the lack of customer service.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #9

I offer no advice other than I think it's despicable that the DEALER will not take care of it. Sounds like a Camping World move.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

So what if it is "slightly above the full line". Add another half inch. If the jacks are up and you have at least an inch or more room it won't hurt a thing. Then you can verify that is the issue and find out why an overfill is needed to keep the alarm off.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw624 View Post
I guess you didn't read that the fluid level was checked first by me and then by the dealer. It was slightly above the line as stated above.
As of this date 10/20 after trying to contact Lippert twice via their online contact form, which says they'll get back to you within 2 business days, I haven't heard a thing. I don't think waiting 3 weeks for contact is acceptable. And before you make another smart comment about calling them, I tried that twice too.
This is a new rig and under warranty until June of 17. As it stands now we are at our winter spot until next spring so I'll be dealing with it more then.
My other point of the original post was the lack of customer service.
So, people are trying to help you and this how you respond. You need to come to Georgia for a few weeks and let the southern charm work on you. I have 15 years experience as a Service manager and everything you describe points to a wrong gauge or a float sensor problem. As the other poster correctly said, make sure the jacks are fully retracted. Add fluid until it is within a 1/2 inch of the opening. (It must have room for heat expansion.) I'll bet your good humor trophy your problem will go away.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
So what if it is "slightly above the full line". Add another half inch. If the jacks are up and you have at least an inch or more room it won't hurt a thing. Then you can verify that is the issue and find out why an overfill is needed to keep the alarm off.
What he said! Those sensors are not an exact science. Yours may be a little out of whack. The symptoms you're describing are exactly what low fluid does.

By the way... get out and look that all jacks are up to the same height when retracted. If one or more are not ALL the way up, this will also show as low fluid. If they're not all the way up, wipe down the pistons with some of the same fluid. If you have grease zerks at the bottom of the cylinders, shoot in some grease.

If all jacks are up at the same height, add a little fluid.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I was wondering, do you leave your leveling panel on while you are driving? I typically will only turn it turn it on, to either raise or lower the jacks.
As far as contacting Lippert and Winnebago, I was unfortunate enough to have to do that concerning a slide controller, and of course it was late on a Friday evening, no answer at both, and left messages - both did return my calls and emails on Monday morning - and were very helpful - of course the controller was bad and I had to replace.
Thanks, Russ
Old 10-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

First let me apologize for showing my frustrations with Lippert customers service, I didn't mean to be so harsh.
It's irritating in the first place that some of the things being called warranty issues are really quality control problems that are left up to the consumer to rectify at your own expense. By that I mean it's a 180 mile round trip to the dealer only to find that Winnebago didn't authorize the full repair recommended when you show up. They want to try a cheap fix first and when that doesn't work you have to schedule another appointment all over again.
I do have the jack panel off when driving. I am reluctant to overfill the reservoir as suggested without Lippert telling me to do so while it's under warranty. The jacks appear to be all the way up and there are no lights showing otherwise when I shut the panel off for travel. The fluid level is very slightly above the black line on the tank. The other thing was the dealer said Winnebago is notorious for hijacking other circuits. So if it's tied to the brake circuit I wonder if low voltage when brakes are applied could cause the alarms. This is another reason why it would be nice to have Lippert's input.
I have some other repairs that the dealer tried and where unsuccessful so I think a trip to the factory is needed when we return home in the spring.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Tags
power, power gear