Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Powerline Amperage Display loss

I awoke this morning and my amperage indication on the Powerline loadmeter is blank. The "Service Type" and "Power Status" LED's are working correctly. Everything in the coach seems to be working fine. Any ideas?
wfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
If you are hooked up to 50a shorepower, the display will be blank. Not sure why, but all three of my Winnebagos have been that way.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Check to see if there is a "reset". On mine you have to remove a phone jack type plug on the bottom back of the unit. Plug it back in and everything is reset and for us seems to have solved the problem.

TurtleKent is correct, there is no display when plugged into 50 amp like when you are plugged into 30 or 20.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
If you are hooked up to 50a shorepower, the display will be blank. Not sure why, but all three of my Winnebagos have been that way.
The EMS only functions on 20 or 30 amp lines. The reasoning is that with a 50 amp service (actually two 50's for a total of 100 amps) no management is needed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
The reason why it's blank is because of the way the system is designed. RV electrical systems have two side (or legs) with a common neutral. There is an induction loop on the neutral wire. When connected to a generator or 30 amps, both legs are connected in phase to each other. This means that the total of the current through both legs can be measured as the current flowing through the neutral.

When connected to 50 amps, the two hot legs are out of phase with each other (when one leg is positive, the other leg is negative). If you measure the current flow through the neutral when connected to 50 amps, you will only see the difference in current flow between the two legs.

The only way to measure current when connected to 50 amps would be to have an induction coil on each leg.

If you're connected to 30 amps and don't see the current displayed, switch to generator and see if current is displayed. If it does, there is faulty wiring. If it doesn't, the EMS may be faulty.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You can reset it by disconnecting the shore power and then turning off the house batteries (the switch that makes a noise when you disconnect the house batteries). When you repower everything the EMS will reset the display. As previously noted this only works on 20 or 30 amps; or, if using the generator.
Let us know if this works.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Thanks for the explanation mrschwarz! It certainly makes sense now.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all! This is the first time on 50 amps and I did not notice the display was blank when I first connected.
wfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote