Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

On my ems display it shows no amp reading for the rear air when running the generator only the front air shows amps. When switched over to powercord then both rear and front shows amp reading I talked to a Winnebago rep he said didnt sound rite to him said to call intellitec but there tech department hasnt called me back yet do I have a problem it seems when we first got it it would show amp reading for rear air when running on generator

Rich
Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On my ems display it shows no amp reading for the rear air when running the generator only the front air shows amps. When switched over to powercord then both rear and front shows amp reading I talked to a Winnebago rep he said didnt sound rite to him said to call intellitec but there tech department hasnt called me back yet do I have a problem it seems when we first got it it would show amp reading for rear air when running on generator

Rich
Old 07-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have 30 amp service in our Itasca Sunstar and there is a switch I can throw to run the rear air off of generator while we are on shore power. Our power cord plugs into a receptacle while we are traveling to draw power from the generator. Perhaps there is a transfer switch that takes power straight from the generator to the rear a/c when the generator is running. Tomorrow when we leave Stone Mountain I will turn on the rear a/c only to see if my EMS displays anything.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: This one got me too. I actually took the MH to the dealer when it was new to find out why the 2nd compressor didn't show. (Was it working?) The dealer said everything was ok, but also didn't know the answer. I looked at the electrical diagrams and quickly saw the answer. The generator has two outputs that are actually out of phase so you could get 220 volts. One breaker runs the first compressor and goes through the current sensor torroid so it shows up on the display. The second doesn't go through the sensor because it would actually reduce the reading. We indicate about 28 amps when on shore power and about half that on the generator. Does this make sense?
Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Dirk you were rite after talking to Intellitic and further research (looking for loose ground wire) it seems its wired for the rear air to run off the second breaker on generator when you have rear ac switch set to generator it separates it from the main panel so the ems will not see it. When you forget and leave rear ac switch on powercord and run rear air with the generator the ems will sense it because it now is running thru the main panel called Winnebago again and they comfirmed thats the way it should be

Rich
Old 07-23-2008, 02:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Rich, not sure if this helps but I said I would look at it when we left Stone Mountain yesterday. While on generator and the only a/c on is the rear a/c my EMS shows 14 amps. I was sure I wouldn't see any amps so I was surprised.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

bjbkkb does your rv have a switch for the rear air was it switched over to generator or was it on powercord when you were running it. On ours when switch is set to generator the rear air does not run thru the main panel it runs directly off of the generator so it will not show amy amps on the ems display but if the switch is left on powercord setting when you run the rear air then it will run thru the main panel and show amps on ems display didnt know that until reading Dirks reply and doing some investigating on my own and and finnally talking to a rep at Winnebago who confirmed thats how it was supposed to work the first rep I talked to at Winnebago didnt know

Rich
Old 03-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Powerline EMS Problem

Hi, my recently purchased 1999 Winnebago Adventurer is having a problem with the Powerline EMS. All these instances occurred while on Generator power.

First time everything worked properly.

Second time system worked fine but I had no display

Thrid time after cycling all breakers, Display was active but it showed 30 amp and you could not change it to Generator Set. The four green lights were shining BUT the display was odd. It showed left to right the following:
A backwards 7 then a 6 and a period in the lower right corner.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Randy
Lill Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

May I assume you have a 30 amp rig?

On a 30 amp rig, when you are hooked to shore power all power runs through the EMS and thus it reads amps for everything

The EMS can also "Shed" loads, normally one of the air conditioners and possibly the water heater, as needed to keep the loads below 30 amps

But have you noticed your generator is likely 5500 watts.. That's 50 amps

30 amps for the rig.. Where do the other 20 amps go?

Well, the Automatic transfer switch switches the rear air contitioner DIRECTLY to the generator, bypassing the EMS so that you can run both of the A/C's at once. That's the 20 amp breaker on the gen-set

NOTE: if you are at a 30 amp site and would like to run as though you were on the generator.. 30 amps to everything but the rear air and the rear air on a seperate 20 amp circuit... CLICK HERE Note I have no connection with them, not even a customer. I built my own imation