Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

We are looking at a Winny class A next week. Any tips on inspecting the coach or does someone have a recommendation for a checklist of some sort. The unit is a 07 Tour w/cummins motor. Should I bring my creeper and coveralls and look the underside over. What about the interior and all the interior parts of the coach. Does anyone know of any inherent problems with this year we should pay special attention to. We need some help so we can make sure we pick up a clean unit w/o any damages. What about having a cummins or freightliner mechanic check out the engine and drivetrain for problems. Thanks for everyones help in finding the right unit.
fotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We are looking at a Winny class A next week. Any tips on inspecting the coach or does someone have a recommendation for a checklist of some sort. The unit is a 07 Tour w/cummins motor. Should I bring my creeper and coveralls and look the underside over. What about the interior and all the interior parts of the coach. Does anyone know of any inherent problems with this year we should pay special attention to. We need some help so we can make sure we pick up a clean unit w/o any damages. What about having a cummins or freightliner mechanic check out the engine and drivetrain for problems. Thanks for everyones help in finding the right unit.
fotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:16 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'd check to see that all the required maintenance has been done, like the tranny filter change at 5,000 miles, oil changes in cummins and gen set.

A 2007 probably won't have many miles on it and that is to be expected.

I would make sure all the systems work like a/c, fridge, sat tv, electrical, inverter, tv sets, dvd player, etc., etc., etc.

Look in all the cabinets for signs of leaks as well as all the seams along the top of the walls.

I would think a good rv inspector who knows diesel engines and frames would be money well spent.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I agree with Doug on involving a professional inspector. When one buys a "previously owned" stick built home it pays to have a professional inspector go over everything. When I bought my "previously owned" motorhome I had a professional inspector go over it for me. If I remember correctly the cost for me was around $200 or so.I called some RV dealers to fo find someone and I would guess there will be others that can offer suggestions on someone in your area.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The only thing I have to add is this.

RV's are not made per personal physical specifications but are made to be one size fits all. People are all different in size and shape, and with different physical restrictive conditions, if any.

Make sure the coach fits YOU or your WIFE PHYSICALLY. Examples; toilet, bathroom size, interior manuvering, closet access, area around bed, drivers/passenger seats, dash controls, cabinet heights, ability to hook up utilities without excessive physical hazards; bumping head, having to get on knees, etc. Then the ablility to reach into the bays without having to crawl into them, checking fluids, do you need a ladder, etc.

Hope this helps, just another way to look at an RV purchase, it wouldn't be fun to spend $100,000.00 plus on an RV and then findout later your wife needs a step stool everytime she needs to get something from the cabinets or, you need knee pads just to access the sewer dump!! That gets old!!!

Hope this helps.

David
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

fotoguy,

I just bought a new 2007 Tour 40TD leftover from a dealer in June. Its a great coach for our family and we love it! But like David said in a previous post, it FITS our family.

If you're not mechanical and have not owned a motor home before, definitely spend the $200 for a pro to look it over.

Remember that diesel maintenance intervals are longer so oil changes may not be an issue. I just sent a sample of my oil (orig. from factory) to a lab for analysis, and it came back perfect.

However, the genset should have had a oil and filter change at 150 hours.

My dealer replaced all 5 batteries before I picked it up so make sure your pro checks that. There are MANY mechical systems to check and with a used model, you don't have a warranty. CHECK EVERYTHING. Also, depending on your climate, make sure it was winterized properly last season. That could cause major problems with the ice maker and the washer dryer combo (if equipped) as they take more effort than just draining your water system.

Spend the most time on components that are expensive to fix/replace. TV's, satellite, microwave, genset, drive train, A/C, heater. There is a screen at the top of the dashboard that will tell you average MPG, engine hours, etc. for the chassis.

NEW leftover 2007 Tours are going in the $180k price range. List was about $255k. So make sure you are getting a good deal. What the seller owes or paid for it is not an indication of what it is worth on the used market.

It's a great coach, just make sure you get it at a great price!

Good luck!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #7

If the previous owner didn't properly clean the undercarriage after driving on Wintery roads, you could have some rust issues....the coveralls idea is good.

You are more liable to having coach issues more than drivetrain issues, so look close for any roof issues and/or siding issues.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Other than the usual pre-purchase due diligence which has been well discussed above, I am not aware of any particular issue with an '07 Tour.

Even as an '07, it might not have all of the little problems worked out of it but that's a risk you will have with any manufacturer.

Winnebago provides really good customer support and that should be important attribute of your choice.

Good luck!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have an 08 Tour 40TD and love it. We have put 7,500 miles on it and live fulltime in the coach and have had very minor issues with it. I suspect if you try everything out before purchase (especially in the coach area) and it works, you will likely be fine, although having the pro look is always a good idea. I do believe that Winnebago does a good job engineering their products so that problems of design are minimized.

Your chassis should have a 3 year warranty from Frieghtliner on it. Plus, the engine and transmission have, I believe, a 200,000 mile/5 year warranty on them.

Good luck.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote