Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2017, 02:53 AM   #1

Price for engine Oil change and transmission oil change

Have a workhorse Chevy 8.1 liter engine with Allison transmission. Just like to know how much anyone with same engine paid for engine oil change and transmission oil change...

Thanks for your input.
fastwhls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2017, 04:08 AM   #2

I've got a 7.4 changed my own yesterday 7 qts mobil 1 and 2 qt napa oil filter cost $55.00
Kenaleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaleslie View Post
I've got a 7.4 changed my own yesterday 7 qts mobil 1 and 2 qt napa oil filter cost $55.00
I wish I could do it myself but since I end up on wheelchair I have to take it to shop. I'm doing it and wanted to get an idea how much each will cost... Having a feeling they are way over charging me.. $135 plus oil and plus filter which not included and for transmission also $135 plus oil and filter also not included...
Old 07-20-2017, 04:21 AM   #4

My garage charges $20.00 to change oil and filter u furnish oil and filter
Kenaleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwhls View Post
I wish I could do it myself but since I end up on wheelchair I have to take it to shop. I'm doing it and wanted to get an idea how much each will cost... Having a feeling they are way over charging me.. $135 plus oil and plus filter which not included and for transmission also $135 plus oil and filter also not included...
$135 is way too much to change engine oil and filter IMO. I would expect you can get a complete lube, Oil and Filter change at any GM dealer for around half of that. A Quick Lube place would be even less. As mentioned above I would use Mobile 1 or some equivalent synthetic and a high quality filter.

Unless you have well over 100,000 miles on your coach it isn't necessary to change your transmission fluid yet. You don't list what coach you own but guessing by your picture it's around a +/-2006 Winnebago on the W24 chassis. If so this is the Allison 2100 series Transmission. Recommended fluid and filter change interval is somewhere in the 150,000 mile range.

For the transmission, your very best bet is to have a Used Oil Analysis test done on your fluid. This costs about $30 and will tell you a lot about what's gong on inside the transmission. You can purchase a sampling kit that allows you to retrieve the sample from the dip stick under the hood from the front. The data compiled from a UOA will help you determine when the next inspection interval should be. Transynd and other TES-295 compliant transmission fluids can cost over 10/qt

Tom over in the Allison forum is very helpful and can get you all set up with a UOA. Tom was an Allison Fluids Engineer for many years before he retired. Here is a good thread on transmission fluid.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/form...eer-89293.html

So to help answer your questions. A complete lube, oil and filter change using Mobile 1 and a good quality filter should cost somewhere around $100 for everything and a UOA for your transmission will cost about $30 plus the cost of the fluid extractor kit which is about $10 if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:41 AM   #6

With both the engine AND transmission fluids and filters being changed, it sounds about right to me.

The engine is a quick job, but the transmission may involve dropping the pan to access the filter. I understand that Allison fluid is very expensive.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:37 AM   #7

Transmission Fluid

I have a 2005 Voyage that I bought 2 years ago. I had the transmission work done just so I knew when it was serviced. I had 45k on it when I did this. Might have been an overkill but it is worth the piece of mind.

Synthetic Transmission Fluid..133.00
Allison Filter 78.41
Labor 89.00
Total 300.41
JJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #8

$135 to change the oil and filter you provided, hope they kissed you when they were done!!! Seriously, I would never go back to that place again and I would tell everyone I met what a rip-off they were.

Next time find a Chevy commercial truck dealer and have it done there, they will have bays large enough for a motorhome.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdave View Post
$135 to change the oil and filter you provided, hope they kissed you when they were done!!! Seriously, I would never go back to that place again and I would tell everyone I met what a rip-off they were.

Next time find a Chevy commercial truck dealer and have it done there, they will have bays large enough for a motorhome.
They charging me all together for oil change:
$135+$5 oil filter+$26 for oil and few for disposal
For transmission: $135+$27 Alison transmission filter+$125 transmission oil+disposal
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2986.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	169412Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2987_1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	169413
Old 07-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #10

I have two words, RIP and OFF!!! Businesses who take advantage like that disgust me!!!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #11

As soon as they see someone on wheelchair all they see is $$$$$
They came back and tips me the wire to knocker sensor is melted guess it was touching the engine block. Part price they gave me $116.55+another $135 to install it.. they also changed exhaust donuts
Right off the bat they said my starter is bad and need to be replaced when I don't have any problem with starting the engine.. it starts on first crank....
Old 07-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Hopefully they didn't change your "prop wash" , "muffler bearings", and "canutting valve".
Run (excuse the pun) the other way next time or they will find something wrong with your wheelchair as well.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I would find another shop. As other have said it should be around $100 for engine oil change with synthetic oil including the oil and filter. As far as the transmission I don't think. You were gouged quite as bad but still a bit overpriced. I do agree to the timing of the transmission oil change. In a vehicle that is worked a bit harder, like a motorhome, I would do the first trans fluid change around 50,000 miles. Cheap insurance as tires fluid is one of the biggest causes of failed transmissions.
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #14

I'd be somewhere else.

Curious to know whether you are going to a dealer or truck shop or something else.

Around here the nearest Ford dealer that will touch our C is about 15 miles away. He is also an MDT dealer so has the lift capacity and room to run in a MH and do the work. Local tire dealer 3 miles away has a pit so will also do the work and annual inspection. I usually get both inspection and oil change once a year for around $70.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, transmission