Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2005, 04:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to Bob C
hi all

any one else experience problems with propane extension hoses attached to main tanks??

i installed on my main tank a valve to attach another hose to go to the regulator of a large two burner camp stove... have used this successfully all last year..

yesterday at an air show was the first time i fired up this big boy this year.. i was cooking breakfast for about 20 people in our club (estang just elected president - congrats to estang)..

anyway, the burners would not stay on, and the flame, while on, was no where near as high/hot as in the past... tank was full of propane...

we attached one of the small (16oz) propane bottles and it worked fine except after a short while, it had to be replaced, not because it was empty, but i guess because it ran down enough not to have the pressure to fire up both those BIG burners (and they are app 30k btu's ea)we replaced the bottle with another full one, and all was well again...

when we changed over from the main tank on the coach, to the small bottle, we eliminated the extension hose and attached the small bottle directly to the regulator on the stove... this was the only difference between the two connections...

and i repeat, last year i used the exact same setup many times with no issues...

thanks in advance

bob casale

Bob & Terry Casale
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

hi all

any one else experience problems with propane extension hoses attached to main tanks??

i installed on my main tank a valve to attach another hose to go to the regulator of a large two burner camp stove... have used this successfully all last year..

yesterday at an air show was the first time i fired up this big boy this year.. i was cooking breakfast for about 20 people in our club (estang just elected president - congrats to estang)..

anyway, the burners would not stay on, and the flame, while on, was no where near as high/hot as in the past... tank was full of propane...

we attached one of the small (16oz) propane bottles and it worked fine except after a short while, it had to be replaced, not because it was empty, but i guess because it ran down enough not to have the pressure to fire up both those BIG burners (and they are app 30k btu's ea)we replaced the bottle with another full one, and all was well again...

when we changed over from the main tank on the coach, to the small bottle, we eliminated the extension hose and attached the small bottle directly to the regulator on the stove... this was the only difference between the two connections...

and i repeat, last year i used the exact same setup many times with no issues...

thanks in advance

bob casale

Bob & Terry Casale
Old 06-20-2005, 06:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Bob,

Where was the hose stored over the winter? I understand that spiders love the smell of propane. We were told on our walkthrough to keep containers of mothballs (with holes in the lid) in the outside frig and water heater comparments to discourage spiders. Maybe you have a web problem...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We just added a similar connection for our bbq. The first time we used it, the bbq was hard to light, and the flame would be very low. It eventually got better. Probably air in the line.

The next time we connected the hose, we had the same problem. Plus.. no LP was going to the fridge or water heater. We were able to light the inside stove and ran it until all the air got out of the line.

We are now using the RV full time for the summer and keep it attached all the time when in an RV park, but will probably have the same problem next time we remove the hose to travel to our next stop.

I don't feel totally comfortable being able to only turn it off at the bbq's regulator and would feel better being able to turn it off without having to turn off the main LP valve, but we are having a problem finding another valve to add at the "t". So far it is working fine and we leave the main LP valve open so I can use the inside stove.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have been going thru this also this year.
If you are positive that the unit works as expected on a spare bottle, then your regulator on the grill is ok. But make sure that it does work perfect on the bottle. My regulator went bad after only one season of using the grill. There is an oily substance that is part of the propane. In my case, this oil clogged the regulator. I also have a fitting that joins the extend-a-flow hoses to the regulator POI. So I had to drain the oil out of those extend-a-flow hose and also clean out that coupler piece and replace the regulator.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 04:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Where was the hose stored over the winter? I understand that spiders love the smell of propane. We were told on our walkthrough to keep containers of mothballs (with holes in the lid) in the outside frig and water heater comparments to discourage spiders. Maybe you have a web problem... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha....spiders can not smell and moth balls will repel moths.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

hi again

i called marshall brass today (the company who makes the connectors) and i was told to ck to be sure the grill's burners were NOT turned on when i connected the hose. apparently, there is a check valve in the hose to cut back the flow, if the flow is too great (a safety device to ensure against a leak of propane).. just like your back yarg grille, if you connect the tank and turn it on when the burner is turned on, the flow of propane is automatically restricted as a result. the fix (if this is the problem) is to disconnect all fittings, be sure all sources of flow are turned off, connect and turn on flow s l o w l y......
ill try it in the next day or two and advise..

bob casale
riverside, ri

Bob & Terry Casale
Old 06-21-2005, 09:46 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I thought the flow restrictor was actually in the valve on the propane tank. Not in the hoses. Another way you can trigger that shut off valve is to connect your hose tooo quickly to the propane tank, even if your grill burners were turned off. When you screw the hose onto your propane tank fitting, you here a hissing noice as you tighten it. Don't rush it. If you screw it on too fast, it could trigger that flow valve.
Sorry I meant to add that to your list of possibilities. If that flow valve is where I think it is, in the tank, and not the hose, then your onboard appliances on your rig wont work either.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote