RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #1

Propane regulator! Again?

Hey folks,

Long time lurker, first time posting here. Searched the site a while, and havenít really come across to much thatís been helpful..

Our 2016 View 24J is wonderful. Havenít had any major issues to date(fingers crossed). The usually stuff, fit and finish, charging solenoid, to name a few.

One thing though that has me banging my head, has been the propane regulator. Iím on my 3rd one in a year. I have the usual, stove, fridge, heater, and the LP genny. I can usually get about 3 months before the regulator goes bad, or what is to be perceived to be the problem. The local RV dealer replaces, and everything is fine. Let it sit for now just a few weeks, problems again.

Any help/suggestions would be great. Go easy please.

Sprinterpups is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinterpups View Post
Hey folks,

Long time lurker, first time posting here. Searched the site a while, and havenít really come across to much thatís been helpful..

Our 2016 View 24J is wonderful. Havenít had any major issues to date(fingers crossed). The usually stuff, fit and finish, charging solenoid, to name a few.

One thing though that has me banging my head, has been the propane regulator. Iím on my 3rd one in a year. I have the usual, stove, fridge, heater, and the LP genny. I can usually get about 3 months before the regulator goes bad, or what is to be perceived to be the problem. The local RV dealer replaces, and everything is fine. Let it sit for now just a few weeks, problems again.

There are good and bad brands. I think I heard that Marshall is supposed to be good. I also heard that the flex line (if equipped) has a rubber liner that deteriorates and leaves an oily residue that clogs the regulator.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Propane Issue

What are the signs of your failed regulator? My new (2016) unit will only fill to 50%, both physically and on the gauges. Looking at replacing the Manchester Valve/Fill-w/80% controller as it may be a mechanical fail. All info helpful.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJoyce View Post
What are the signs of your failed regulator? My new (2016) unit will only fill to 50%, both physically and on the gauges. Looking at replacing the Manchester Valve/Fill-w/80% controller as it may be a mechanical fail. All info helpful.
Regulator is for distributing propane, your issue is in filling the tank.

How did you physically confirm tank was at 50% ? The bleeder valve releases liquid propane at only 80%.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Hey folks,

Can you update us with a description of the problems that indicate your regulator is bad? Just exactly what happens to let you know there is an issue?

IMO, regardless of the brand used, a 3 month life span for a pressure regulator is too short when the failure is repeated. Without knowing a bit more, all answers are guesses, but if the regulators are truly failing so regularly, I would suspect there is some contamination in the tank itself that is being passed into the regulators.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
The tank gauge and the inside computer monitor showed staying at 1/2 full after a propane tried to top off my new and consigned rig. He demonstrated how the emergency release valve wasn't ejecting any liquid/gas propane, hence the tank was really half full and my issue was a sticking controller valve. Seemed like an old pro and said it happens.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJoyce View Post
The tank gauge and the inside computer monitor showed staying at 1/2 full after a propane tried to top off my new and consigned rig. He demonstrated how the emergency release valve wasn't ejecting any liquid/gas propane, hence the tank was really half full and my issue was a sticking controller valve. Seemed like an old pro and said it happens.
I ask because both gauges are working together on one sensor.

My tank said 1/2 and was empty. The sender was clipped on the sensor wrong.

Its happen often that the OPD will stop the flow just before the bleeder releases liquid propane. The fill person opens a bleeder valve, not an emergency valve. That's under the tank away from you.

Best way to tell accuracy is run it empty and then fill it, watching how many gallons it takes. The tank will have a capacity on it..

Some say that pouring hot water down the side of the tank will show the liquid level.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #8

Well, to go into basic detail. I am pretty religious about running the genny monthly, usually starts with a few seconds. When I seem to have a problem, I go back into the coach and turn on all the propane devices, starting with the closest to the tank. Stove, fridge, WH, furnace, etc. After shutting those down, I next prime the genny and run it. This usually works and has the last few years.
With in the last year, canít get those other appliances to work. They spit out a little propane and work, but usually go out. Out of ideas, I head to the local dealer/mx. They narrow down to the regulator/ replace it, and all work well including the generator for around 3 months, then same issue. So after the 3rd now 4th time Iím at a loss. Thoughts?
Old 03-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #9

SO during this down time periods are you closing the Propane Service Valve?

THen when you get ready to exercise gen you Open the Propane Service Valve....and get limited flow
You are opening service valve too quickly tripping the Excess Flow Device (in a fitting on Regulator).
This is a safety feature that closes down limiting the amount of propane that can flow should a downstream hose/fitting leak. It is a spring loaded ball check .
Opening service valve too quickly causes an imbalance in upstream & downstream flow so spring pushing ball to closed position .....
Close service valve...wait 30 seconds and then SLOWLY open service valve.
This allows balance flow on both sides of ball check valve and the ball remains centered allowing FULL flow.

Doubt regulators were actually faulty.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #10

+1 to Old-Biscuit. OPD valve.

Is your dealer an RV dealer or Propane dealer? RV dealers replace regulators because they can. Propane dealers can fix any of it.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Hey folks,

Any chance your tank has been emptied and was not purged before refilling? Have you changed suppliers in the past year? Are you sure he is not overfilling your tank? Liquid propane can damage a regulator designed to handle vapor, not liquid propane.
Already mentioned are deteriorating hoses contaminating the regulator. I would suggest you consult another propane supplier whose sells propane. Local RV dealers are often the least competent people to deal with these issues. Some even are more inclined to sell you expensive parts rather than hire techs who know how to troubleshoot and/or are allowed to by their employer.

BTW. Propane gauges are supposed to be accurate only when the OAT around the tank is 60įF. Any colder it will read a lower level due to liquid contraction and any hotter it will read higher due to expansion of the liquid propane inside the tank. That is the reason regulations don't allow sellers to use gauges or LED displays to be used to determine the amount of liquid propane in a tank or bottle.
The unreliability of float valves is the reason regulations don't allow the seller to rely on the OPD valve to shut off the flow of liquid propane at the 80% level. The volume of LPG is very sensitive to temperature and the 20% of expansion space required by law is there to allow the LPG in the tank room to expand without venting overboard under pressure during a normal range of ambient outside temperatures.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndrorder View Post
+1 to Old-Biscuit. OPD valve.

Is your dealer an RV dealer or Propane dealer? RV dealers replace regulators because they can. Propane dealers can fix any of it.

Just for clarification
OPD ---Overfill Protection Device
Float inside tank/cylinder that stops liquid propane from going IN....nothing ti do with propane vapor coming OUT

Excess Flow Device....
Separate device not part of OPD
In a fitting on Regulator (Mounted Tanks) or a component of the ACME Nut on pigtail hoses for Cylinders

2 separate devices ...different features
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:01 PM   #13

Not closing any valves. As you know on the the 2016 there is an LP switch on the services panel. I flip that switch on, usually can hear a click of a solenoid. I wit a few seconds and light the stove, or generator.
Iím not physically climbing underneath the rv and shutting off valves at the tank. Nothing in the Winnebago Manual states this during storage.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:42 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Not closing any valves. As you know on the the 2016 there is an LP switch on the services panel. I flip that switch on, usually can hear a click of a solenoid. I wit a few seconds and light the stove, or generator.
Iím not physically climbing underneath the rv and shutting off valves at the tank. Nothing in the Winnebago Manual states this during storage.

Bingo

Tags
propane