RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Proper sealant for roof vent

I'm in the process of putting a vent cover over our maxx fan. Went to the Winnebago call out sheet to find the proper sealant. Got the part number and ordered it from Litchsinn RV.

When it arrived I was a little confused. It is NuFlex 311 joint sealant which is a self leveling SILICONE. I thought you did not want to use Silicone on the roof. It's also the same product in Litchsinn's roof maintain video.

Your thoughts please, I'm hesitant to use it. I have always used Dicor self leveling lap sealant, but not sure if that comes in Black.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2017, 05:43 AM   #2
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
I'm hesitant to use it
As you should be. This is a very important PM item. This proper sealant issue comes up every once in awhile. Read this post and accompanying posts I included and you should be able to make a educated decision what you should use.

I did a lot of research on this subject before I redid my roof. You have to use a Thermoplastic flex sealant in these roof seam areas. I used Clear NuFlex 640.

Here's a previous post on this subject:
See entire post here:
Recaulking roof seams
My procedure is Post#4

• I’m attaching my 2012 Winnebago Sealant Call-Out Sheet as a PDF - This callout sheet is right out of my Operators Manual Supplement

• As you can see in the Legend in the top left hand corner…
NOTE: Sealant E may be substituted for sealant C in painted locations.

Well as you look at the Call-Out sheet that accounts for almost everything (including the roof cove) except a few items ON TOP of the roof. Pretty much everything else is either Sealant C or E. And “E” can be substituted for “C”.

• So what is sealant “C” part# 072889-10-000? It’s Manus Bond
Definition: A Urethane Sealant

• So what is sealant “E” part# 094401-04-000? It’s Stone Mason Gutter & Siding Sealant
Definition: Stone Mason Gutter & Siding Sealant is a high quality, low cost, one component thermoplastic sealant for use on many common construction materials.

• So what is NuFlex 640?
Definition: NuFlex® 640 Thermoplastic Sealant*is a one part, co polymer, high performance sealant. The cured sealant exhibits good physical properties including excellent adhesion to a variety of construction materials including marine surfaces. It possesses rubber-like characteristics and can be compressed or extended.
FEATURES:
• Excellent adhesion to most substrates
• Remains permanently flexible
• Cures in 24 hours
• Paintable
• Non-staining
• Available in a plastic cartridge
• Ideal for*gutters, eaves troughs, flashings, and siding!

So in summary here’s what we can say:
If Sealant “E” (a thermoplastic sealant) can be substituted for Sealant “C” then either Stone Mason Gutter & Siding Sealant or NuFlex 640 can be used in all Sealant “C” areas.

Now I’m not trying to sell Nuflex 640 or anything like that, but just trying to bring the facts of what can & is recommended to use. I chose Nuflex 640 because as I said, it is a Thermoplastic Sealant which has all the same properties as Sealant “E” and was recommended as a perfect substitute and cost a lot less. It can be used on all areas on the MH that call for Sealant “C” which is basically almost everywhere except the for the few items directly on top of the roof.

Notice that none of these Recommended Sealants or approved substitutes are Silicone based. They are either Urethane or thermoplastic based sealants. Now “silicone based sealants—according to the video that was posted—can be used on Full Body Paint MH’s but I have no experience or knowledge of this area, so I’m not going to comment either way on that one.

The best price for Nuflex 640 is here:
96600 Heng's Industries Nuflex #640 Thermoplastic

Here's my summary of my complete roof redo with pic's:
Finally the roof is done
Attached Files
File Type: pdf callout sheet.pdf (180.6 KB, 7 views)

TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Marjoa... my call out sheet is identical to yours and for the max air fan cover I was going to use sealant B. The sealant that was sent by Litchsinns RV has the exact part number as sealant B in the call out sheet but it is NuFlex 311 self leveling joint sealant and in big letters on the tube it says SILICONE.

I called Dicor and they do have a self leveling lap sealant in BLACK which is a new product. I ordered 3 tubes.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal, sealant, vent