Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Purchasing a used Winnebago - Help

I currently own a 1998 32' Brave. We only have about 35000 miles on it, no slides and it is in very good condition inside and out. Everything works and is ready to travel. We are, and have been, very pleased with our Winnebago.

We want to upgrade to a slightly larger unit to give us more space to take the grandchildren along on a few trips. We are looking at a 2007 Winnebago Voyage 35L at a local dealer. This unit has 25,593 miles on it and looks very clean and well cared for. It is on a Workhorse W22 chassis with 22.5" wheels. There are lots of desireable options included.

As it has been quite some time since we were in the market to purchase, I am wondering what the consensus here is as to how much I can expect the dealer to discount the price? In years past it seems that 20% to 30% seemed to be about the norm. Is that still true today?

Any ideas or thoughts are very welcome. Thanks.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I believe those discount percentages are pretty spot-on for NEW RVs. However, the pre-owned market is different. Check NADA for pricing.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It seems to me that it's a buyers market right now.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thank you both for your responses. I agree that it should be a buyer's market, which sadly means my current unit is worth less too. All things are relative I guess. For some reason I can't get the nada site up on this computer, I'll try again later.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoo Tom View Post
Thank you both for your responses. I agree that it should be a buyer's market, which sadly means my current unit is worth less too. All things are relative I guess. For some reason I can't get the nada site up on this computer, I'll try again later.
try clicking on this link RV Reviews | Review RV Values, Camper and Trailer Specs, Motorhome Value & RV Prices | NADA Recreational Vehicle Appraisal Guide good luck
Old 04-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If it was me I would sell my current unit myself and take the cash to the dealer and you will get a better deal. He may discount the RV you are looking at, but will also discount your trade-in. Only once in my life did I trade in a vehicle and got scr****. Won't do it again. JMHO

Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

The wife and I were very serious about buying a Class A at a dealer in Myrtle beach. It was a used unit, and the original price was 89K. After trade value our TT and pull vehicle (older Suburban) the price was down to 56K. About 7k of that was our trade so the price was down from 89k to 63k. That is about 30%.

While you may not like the idea of trading in your RV, be aware that it is more than 10 years old and if you try to sell it to a private party, they may have a very hard time financing it because of the age. This may limit you to Cash only sales.

We ended up buying a different RV from a private party (2000 Itasca) but the only bank that would even think about financing a 12 year old coach was USAA, and that was only for 80% of NADA.

I would say in your case have them make you an offer, and then counter with what you think is nearly an impossible number. Then walk away and think about it over night.

Good luck with your purchase
Old 05-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
NADA prices for used m/h are pie-in-the-sky prices, imho. The banks may use those prices for determining loan value, and dealers may use those prices to set their asking price, but they are higher than private-party prices that you would/should pay in buying/selling a used m/h. A good deal is more than the price you pay to drive it off the lot... it's also the cost in time/money/frustration for after purchase repairs to bring the unit up to top condition. The best way to get a good deal is to do a lot of research and legwork. I learned a LOT about features, floor plans, and even selling prices, by reading nightly the ads on eBay for several months before I purchased. irv2 has a wealth of information from current owners, just keep asking. Workhorse chassis issues need to be studied well before purchase. If I read correctly, Workhorse had significant brake issues, and they are no longer in the m/h chassis business. Know before you buy. You should look at the Adventurer/Suncruiser line, floor plans are similar to the Voyage, and you get a much more deluxe unit for not a lot more $$. For each coach make a list of items needing repair/replacement, so you have a budget to get your coach in good running condition. Tires are the first item, if they are 2007 I would replace them immediately. Make sure all appliances and slides are in good working condition. Check if any maintenance records are available. If you are paying dealer prices, I would expect all of these items to work as intended. Check inside for evidence of water leaks, and check the roof for condition of the seam sealant. Many times m/h do not receive recommended maintenance, as well as the family auto 'because we only drive it 5000 miles per year...' PPL motorhomes(Houston) has a nice website listing all their consignment units for sale, and their asking prices. Shop several dealers and private parties, select at least two acceptable/desirable choices, and start to negotiate! It's an exciting time, and with legwork you can end up with a good deal on a coach you will be happy with for many years!
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

My 2008 Voyage 35 L is still at the local dealer for sale that I traded in last November.

They are asking 84K, it has the Ford V10 engine and chassis. it was a great motor home, we put 22,000 miles on it
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Thank you all for your input. Lots of good thoughts here. We bit the bullet yesterday and placed a deposit on the 2007 Voyage 35L. The unit looks great and the floor play suits us well.

We've not finalized the purchase yet and are still negotiating a final price. We have them down about 32% off their listed price. I am trying to get it down to 35% or greater if I can. It is definately a buyer's market and I think we will be successful. To be honest we are happy with the price where it is, but every nickel helps.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #11

DO your home work.. The dealer will tell you they are doing a good business. HA:: The RV. market is so soft now you can buy at a .30 to 40 Percent discount from the Retail Listed price... I know a fellow that Wanted Book price after trying to sell for over a year at a consignment Place He took it home and sold For 30% less then the Book.. Save your cash and shop streight From the Owner.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
GG1
Winnie-Wise

do a global search on this forum for workhorse chassis, some of the earlier workhorse chassis had a problem and recalls on the braking system

Tags
winnebago