Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #1

Purchasing RV Tires online ... simpletire.com

Looking to replace my 4 rear tires on my RV. Got this answer from an online tire shop. Asked them for the DOT date on tires what I got back was shocking. They said they can't give me the DOT date but the tires they selling are within 4 years which they say is standard guidelines. Don't know what guideline he is talking about but why someone wants to buy tires which have been sitting for years.. thought to share this if you looking to buy tires. Will not recommend this online tire seller...simpletire.co
I attached the replay I got.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190912_085027.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	260089
fastwhls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #2

I share your concern, but many on here have purchased from them and reported back that the tires they got were within 6 months. Still some degree of risk though.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #3

What I think they were talking about is that if tires are unmounted and kept in a controlled storage facility where they sit on shelves, there's an expected longer lifetime then tires left out in the open. This is pretty standard for truck tires. And nearly all big tires sold are truck tires.

Where it gets complicated is with the compounds they use in RV tires that (as I understand it) make the tire softer so it gives a more comfortable ride somehow and gives it longer life when mounted on an RV and only used over 5,000 miles average per year. And of course it will usually have UV resistance. These compounds are more sensitive to inactivity than a truck or tractor tire that doesn't have the softening compounds. So just sitting on a shelf isn't good for an RV tire whereas it will hardly bother a truck tire.

So if you're buying RV specific tires, you definitely want a newer tire. If you're buying a truck tire, it doesn't matter as much...except if you're thinking of selling the rig. Then you want newer tires for any potential buyer to see.

At least that's what I remember...could be wrong, who knows?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #4

I asked them what conditions they keep the tires and they keep them in a warehouse but they can't guarantee the conditions the tires were stored in and they can't give me the DOT date since they have no access to tires which will ship out and when I receive the tires I can't return then if they are within 4 years guideline... does anyone knows what guide line they are talking about. Who wants to pay $1600 for 4 old tires..
Old 09-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #5

Buy local. Your home town economy depends on it and you'll know for sure when your tires were made.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #6

I just bought 4-22.5's from Tire-easy online. Same deal...they couldn't tell me the date codes. Cost was $1038. Asked a local tire shop to install them for me and had them direct shipped to them.

I went and inspected them when they arrived because the seller would take them back, no restocking charge, even paying for shipping, if I didn't want them. And they were all just a couple months old. Even though coming from two different warehouses. I was a happy camper.

So, I'd say to buy from a place that will let you return them free, and pay for the shipping back. Than arrange it so you have the time to inspect the date codes. Maybe have them shipped direct to you. Mine weighed in at 68 lbs each and I don't have a big car so needed to ship them to a tire place.

Note that at least one of the tire shop's employee's wasn't happy with me buying the same brand they sell and shipping them to them. I got them online for less than half the cost they wanted. Lucky he wasn't there the day the shop installed them and the guys did a great job.

SoloRV guy is correct though. I would have bought local if I could have but this has been a very expensive year and needed to save.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #7

I've been going back and forth, they say if the tires I receive, the DOT is within the 4 years I can't return them. They keep talking about a guideline, and they are within the guideline... you guys are right I will go local....
Thanks guys for your inputs.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:10 AM   #8
RV LIFE Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I just bought 4-22.5's from Tire-easy online. Same deal...they couldn't tell me the date codes. Cost was $1038. Asked a local tire shop to install them for me and had them direct shipped to them.

I went and inspected them when they arrived because the seller would take them back, no restocking charge, even paying for shipping, if I didn't want them. And they were all just a couple months old. Even though coming from two different warehouses. I was a happy camper.

So, I'd say to buy from a place that will let you return them free, and pay for the shipping back. Than arrange it so you have the time to inspect the date codes. Maybe have them shipped direct to you. Mine weighed in at 68 lbs each and I don't have a big car so needed to ship them to a tire place.

Note that at least one of the tire shop's employee's wasn't happy with me buying the same brand they sell and shipping them to them. I got them online for less than half the cost they wanted. Lucky he wasn't there the day the shop installed them and the guys did a great job.

SoloRV guy is correct though. I would have bought local if I could have but this has been a very expensive year and needed to save.

Can you give us the URL to Tire Easy. I can't find it.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #9

Opps, sorry forgot an 's', it's Tires-easy.

And they're out of stock on the tires I bought that this link goes to. Guess I got them just in time. But that's a good sign that the vendors stock is low and the date codes would tend to be newer when they restock. That's one thing I try to do when I'm ordering tires online, look for one of the several brands I follow to be out of stock and then when it shows up again, I know the date codes will be new. And that's when I try to order. Timing doesn't always work out that way, but I try to follow that method.

Note that the salesperson I dealt with via email at Tires-easy wasn't exactly forthcoming about their policy regarding paying for return shipping if the tires were old. Had to ask a couple times before I got a straight answer.

Old 09-14-2019, 03:26 AM   #10

Purchased Michelin RV, 19.5 from Costco at $382 each.
Had to find someone to mount and balance at $60 each.
A friend just bought the same from a local tire co. Colony
Tire. They are a large local trucking company looks to be
associated with a Ford dealer.
I purchased 4 from the same dealer for less that $1500,
mounted and balanced, out the door.

I am not gonna buy China tires, as I just took of 10 yr.
old Michelin that I can get $100 each for that have been
always garaged keep.

At Costco, had to go buy tires, go back wk. later pick
them up and find someone to mount and balance.
I cant imagine ordering them on the net...to much hassle.
coopcolt
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:57 AM   #11

I bought 6 new tires for the motorhome from Simple Tire in 2017. 4 came from a local distributor, 2 came from a distributor 100 miles away. Oldest date was 4 months. I prepaid the installation ($25 each)with the tires and they were mounted and balanced by a shop 1 mile away. The odds of getting a major brand tire more than a year old from a distributor is pretty slim IMO unless it is some oddball or obsolete tire size.

Including the offroad tires I just ordered for DW's Toyota FJC, I have bought 4 sets of tires from Simple tire since 2012. Never a problem.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
I bought 6 new tires for the motorhome from Simple Tire in 2017. 4 came from a local distributor, 2 came from a distributor 100 miles away. Oldest date was 4 months. I prepaid the installation ($25 each)with the tires and they were mounted and balanced by a shop 1 mile away. The odds of getting a major brand tire more than a year old from a distributor is pretty slim IMO unless it is some oddball or obsolete tire size.

Including the offroad tires I just ordered for DW's Toyota FJC, I have bought 4 sets of tires from Simple tire since 2012. Never a problem.
Same here, and to the poster worried about dates on tires, sure, we all want the ones made yesterday, BUT if you order a brand and size that is common then it won't be a surprise. I've ordered everything from Motor Home tires to ones for a Toyota and 4 for a Porsche, and dates were all fine.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #13

I ordered Sumitomo tires. They made in Japan. I bought two for front over a year ago and they have been great. Very smooth ride. For $262 each cannot beat it and they come with 6 years warranty Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_094020.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	260524
Old 01-22-2020, 08:38 AM   #14

Installed 4 of them on the rear on our RV. I absolutely love these tires. Ride is nice smooth and quiet ride. Much better than previous ones michillen xrv.

Tags
tires