Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I posted this question on another forum but got less than satisfactory answers so I thought I would post it here.
We are in the final planning stages on getting our coach painted with a full body paint. The question has arisen as to whether we can have the "W" and the Journey DL painted on the Motorhome. It seems there may be a copyright infringement.
For those who had their coaches painted, did you replace the manufacturer logo or did you have to order decals to be put on? That is what we have been told we will have to do if we want these 2 things back on the coach. I am not personally interested in decals as this is one of the reasons we are having it painted in the first place.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I posted this question on another forum but got less than satisfactory answers so I thought I would post it here.
We are in the final planning stages on getting our coach painted with a full body paint. The question has arisen as to whether we can have the "W" and the Journey DL painted on the Motorhome. It seems there may be a copyright infringement.
For those who had their coaches painted, did you replace the manufacturer logo or did you have to order decals to be put on? That is what we have been told we will have to do if we want these 2 things back on the coach. I am not personally interested in decals as this is one of the reasons we are having it painted in the first place.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Blucrabbie,

Have you spoken with anyone at the Winnebago factory?

<LI> Service Administration-... 1-800-537-1885
For information about your current Winnebago
Industries motor home, service or dealer inquiries
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blucrabbie:
For those who had their coaches painted, did you replace the manufacturer logo or did you have to order decals to be put on? That is what we have been told we will have to do if we want these 2 things back on the coach. I am not personally interested in decals as this is one of the reasons we are having it painted in the first place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally, if I was to get mine painted (I'm actually pondering it), I'd be happy to get rid of the decals. Are you getting it done locally..somewhere in NC?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

CDI in Forest City (they do all of the full-body paint Winnebago products) will do any custom paint job - give them a call. Call Winnebago to get their number.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all of the responses. Ranger, we are having it done locally by barnes
We found him at an RV show and have since interviewed several other places in NC.
I will give Winnebago a call today. Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2001 36ft Journey and I am interested in what an "average" full body paint job might cost. I realize a person can get very basic or go extreme, but on average what would a ball park figure be? Thanks, Art
arthurval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I wouldn't know the "average" price charged by independent body shops, but If I remember correctly it was a $6,000.00 option in 2006 when we were considering a new coach.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Bluecrabbie" I am wondering who in the world is going to inspect your coach to determine if you have violated copyright infringements, by painting on icons. I just don't think any one is going to give a hoot one way or the other.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Homer
This is what we were told by Barnes that they could not paint the Logo's on but that we could order decals from Winnebago.
This is personally not a big issue with us but I was just wondering if anyone here had a full body paint done on their coach and did they have the logo's painted back on.??
Old 06-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Had my 2002 Journey painted in 2003...best thing I ever did to a motorhome....no decals except for a front silver "Journey" one which I just put on after 5 years of being a no name..
With a full body paint, the year of the coach becomes ageless....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I would suggest that you choose paints from standard colors of current (or recent past) automobiles.

Then in the future, if you have a picnic table jump out in front of you or a mailbox suddenly decide to leave an impression on the side of your coach any paint shop can get the exact matching color to repair the appearance of your coach ...

(My coach has had three touch ups ... and they are next to impossible for others to spot)
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:05 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We have just had a full body paint on our 1995 Vectra - it looks fantastic. We would never ever have decals again given the work it was to remove the faded and damaged original ones.

Lorene and John
1995 Vectra
1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara

1995 Winnebago Vectra
Lorene and John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Lorene and John: I couldn't agree with you more. Graphics are the source of a lot of grief and add nothing to the RV'g aspect of a coach.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:27 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Bluecrabbie: Sorry I mis-understood your post. You are not the concerned party but rather your painter is. That is understandable.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hi, We just picked up a used 07 Adventurer. It has the Ebony full body paint and zero logos. None, nowhere. All it has is the RIVA sticker & the Winnebago logo built into the grill. Nothing else. Either the original owner did not like to advertise, or they were in a hurry to ship it.
I checked carfax & it wasnt totaled & rebuilt.
Actually we like the "clean" look.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

You are welcome to repaint your owned unit in anyway...

Regards,

Ron Lichtsinn
Old 07-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

One would think so. My question to the floor is if you are removing the Winnebago trademark "W", and replacing it with a painted on "W", how is that copyright infringement if you are replacing exactly what you removed and did not in any way modify the logo?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all of the responses. The coach is now at Barne's. We called Winnebago and found out it is ok with them to repaint the logo's. They do not have a problem with us repainting them on our unit.
We can't wait to see it!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
One would think so. My question to the floor is if you are removing the Winnebago trademark "W", and replacing it with a painted on "W", how is that copyright infringement if you are replacing exactly what you removed and did not in any way modify the logo? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what I think; how can it be infringement by painting a Winnebago logo on a Winnebago motorhome that originally had a Winnebago logo on it? A better example of copyright infringement is you copy (download) a picture or logo FROM the Winnebago website, take it to the mall, and have them print that image on coffee cups and tee shirts. That's an infringemnet, even if you don't sell those items for profit. Take a picture of your own personal motorhome and have coffee cups and t-shirts made, that's not infringement since it is an original image that you produced and it doesn't belong to Winnebago.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote