Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #1

Question on washing / waxing roof

Hi,
We recently purchased a Class A (2001 Journey) and curious how others wash or wax their roofs. I am in my 60's, still fit but seems quite dangerous to get up on roof for cleaning. A lot of antennas, vents, sky lights, plus getting roof wet seems like a disaster waiting to happen and a long way to fall.

Do you pay a professional washer, use a ladder and wash from side, or just be careful and take your chances? And we are just part timers living in Western Washington, should roof be washed about every 3 mo ?

Feedback would be appreciated.
Jim
Seacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm in the same age range, for what it's worth. I do mine myself, just get up there with a long-handled brush, bucket of Simple Green or similar, and a hose. That's just me. Only you can decide if you are comfortable up there. I've replace my own TV antenna etc. Just be careful and taking your time to do it safely.

As far as frequency, guess that depends on where you park and how dirty it gets. It is a fiberglass roof after all... once a year is sufficient where I park. Gives one a good opportunity to check the caulk seams around the fixtures, which I feel is a more important task. JMHO.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #3

70 next year, and still get up on our Lexi 3-4 times a year to clean and check caulk and Eternabond.
Clean it twice yearly, but never ever will I wax. Makes it too slick and slippery for the # of times I'm up there.
My opinion only.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #4

I go to Mexico once per year and have the roof washed and waxed down there for about $1/foot. And it's generally done by a young man in his 20's who's still strong and agile. I enforce safety practices though. Don't want someone falling off my roof.

I'm not sure waxing the fiberglass roof is really called for, but it sure looks purdy when it's done. Also not sure if it needs to be washed as often as every 3 months. Where did you hear that? My brother keeps his RV near Seattle full time and never washes the fiberglass roof that I know of and it's not looking all that bad after 10 years.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #5

Like others I get up on the roof once or twice a year with a long handled brush and appropriate cleaner. Between times on the roof I clean it using the same long handled brush from an 8' step ladder (roof is 12' 8").

The cleaning from the ladder doesn't allow me to inspect the sealant around the sky lights, vents and antennas as well, but it does allow me to get a good look at the seams between the roof and side walls.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I hired a professional roof cleaner last year since Im 77 and dont really want to climb 11 feet off the ground to do it myseff..After a few days I climbed up my ladder to check the roof edge caulking and I could write my name in the dirt on my new cleaned roof wit a coat of spray on wax...so if you can do it do it yourself or just for get it...its fiberglass it dont hurt it to get dirty..
Old 08-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Whenever I pay someone to wash and/or wax the coach, I have them wash the roof. I will still do it myself with a long handled brush.

I apply a coat of 303 protectant twice a year. I am now at a point in life where waxing a roof is not a priority. 303 keeps it from fading and streaking the side of my coach and it is easy to apply.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm 71 and just finished my semi-annual roof wash. Stiff brush and regular auto wash/wax. After it's dry I put on a coat of floor wax, the stuff from Wal-Mart or Mop N Glow - it keeps the roof fairly clean as the rain will wash most of the dirt off. But frankly, I only do it to keep the streaks off of the sides, I don't particularly care what the roof looks like.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:15 AM   #9

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Sounds like maybe I need to suck it up and get up on my roof at least once / yr, and wash from side with ladder in between. Just makes me nervous, as my boat was taller but if I had ever fallen, I would have just splashed into water instead of concrete!

My roof is still clean and in good shape, but seems there should be something to protect from UV and weather since it is 17 years old now.

Jim
Seacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #10

I'm 63, with a rubber roof. I climb up several times a year to inspect everything. Annually, I clean and then treat the roof. I go up barefoot, and I let nothing distract me. I'm take my time and I think about every move. If I get tired, I can get clumsy, so I'll quit before that point. I store my 5th wheel under a carport, which minimizes maintenance. I can get up there under the canopy if I stay on my knees.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #11

I'm 71 and don't get on the roof. I get the roof and solar panels washed somewhere once a year. I pay for the service.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #12

My advice is not stress about waxing the roof. More important is to check the caulking where the roof edge rolls over into J channel that runs down the side. Do that once a year. There is a Winnebago Service Bulletin that you must follow for your insurance to cover any roof damage.
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
73 here and wash the roof about twice a year. Never wax. Mine has a ladder on the back so it's easy to get on the roof.

I use Dawn dish soap and a long handle car washing brush.

I have a very strict rule....I never step backwards while on the roof and take small steps. That along with staying two feet from the edges.

Oh...and just in case....I make sure my wife is home should something happen.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm 76 years old and do the roof twice a year using Chemical Guys Waterless Wash & Wax so nothing runs down the sides of the coach, and I wind up with a light coat of wax.

I wear rubber sole crocks and the roof is not slippery since I don't use water.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof