Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Radio display in bedroom is too bright

We have an 07 Journey and the combo radio/DVD (Jensen #AWM960) has a very bright display so much so that we have to cover it with a pillow to darken the room, this is with the radio "off". Anyone else notice this and anyone know if it's possible to turn off the display when not needed?
Mnichols4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We had the same problem in our Tour. Ended up having to unplug the whole thing because we couldn't figure it out either. Good luck.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have a digital clock that has very bright in the bedroom. I put couple layers of a frosted tape over the numbers. It dimmed the light down so as not to light the whole room up. Yet at night you can still see the time display.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We had the same issue with our 07 Ellipse. I tried putting two layers of window tint film on it but it was still too bright so we took a business card and taped it over the display. We have to lift it up to see the time.

Poor design IMHO.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

On my '07 Adventurer we used Velcro and put a curtain using room darkening material over the entire radio. Wouldn't you think that they would put a dimmer feature on the lighting?
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I changed the 2 bulbs to LED's and now just right to see at night. Had to put resistors in series with the LED's. I also tried different colors of LED until I found one that was just right.

I also used a business card covered with electrical tape hinged over the light panal.

Gary
Gary D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

What does Jensen have to say?

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
GG1
Winnie-Wise

We have very dark translucent black film over the face works good with just the correct amount of brightness
Old 06-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

On my 03 Journey DL the +12VDC Battery and +12VDC Ignition were wired together. I added a switch to the +12VDC Ignition wire and it would kill the back light.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnichols4 View Post
We have an 07 Journey and the combo radio/DVD (Jensen #AWM960) has a very bright display so much so that we have to cover it with a pillow to darken the room, this is with the radio "off". Anyone else notice this and anyone know if it's possible to turn off the display when not needed?
Go to a car window tinting place and get som tint film. Apply as many layers as needed.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Well my two cents worth of information is: I installed a Winny on/off rocker switch next to the radio. I turn it off an use another device for my bed side clock. One that does not light the room up at night. My radio is installed into a set of small drawers, next to the bed...so I pulled out 2 drawers...pulled the power plug to the radio and put in the on/off the rocker switch an cut into the side next to the radio. IF in need to listen to the radio or use the DVD player I just power up the radio by using the switch. Problem solved. At least for me.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I had a piece of TV/ Movie window netural density film in the garage. Just cut a piece and stick it on the display. Viola.

If you shut it off you obviously lose the clock, and that wasn't an option

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I got tired of hitting the radio with my hand when I rolled over and turning it on. Removed the radio, cured both problems. Only left a one inch hole where the wires went thru, can be easily reinstalled IF I ever wanted a radio in the bedroom. Freed up alot of table space.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Peddler, I really like your idea. The other night my wife woke me thinking an animal was scratching on the roof and trying to get in so we started banging on the walls to scare it off. How embarrassing, I had hit the radio button when sleeping and it was off station making some kind of scratchy racket. On/Off switch is on the project list !
Mnichols4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnichols4 View Post
Peddler, I really like your idea. The other night my wife woke me thinking an animal was scratching on the roof and trying to get in so we started banging on the walls to scare it off. How embarrassing, I had hit the radio button when sleeping and it was off station making some kind of scratchy racket. On/Off switch is on the project list !

You're not alone. Been there. Done that too!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers, the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras and Advent appliances. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

The AWM960 has two power wires; one +12V DC Battery and one +12V DC Ignition. When both wires are connected to +12V DC, the stereo will remain ON. When you press the Power button, this will toggle the stereo between ON & Standby. In Standby, the LCD backlight will remain illuminated.

A solution, as grtgarris mentioned, would be to wire the +12V DC Ignition to a two-position toggle switch. This will allow you to turn the stereo OFF, in which case the LCD backlight will no longer be illuminated. The clock text will still be visible on the display.

Our newer JENSEN wall-mount stereos have either a user adjustable LCD backlight brightness setting or an auto-dimmable LCD display.

Please let me know if I can assist further.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

My 2011 Suncruiser has the Jenson radio/DVD player as well. The radio, which should be a newer model, has the ability to dim the display, but even in the lowest setting it is too bright. To make things worse, the radio is mounted so that it is right in your face when lying on the bed. It would be better if Jenson could either offer more brightness settings or the ability to turn off the display backlight.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

My wife hangs a towel from the cabinet above... Me, I would sleep through anything.
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooking View Post
My wife hangs a towel from the cabinet above... Me, I would sleep through anything.
What light? LOL

I'm the same. DW has to have a perfectly black room. Me, I just shut my eyes and it's dark.

Maybe women have thinner eyelids or something? If they left their eyeshadow on at night it would help with the thinner eyelids. Maybe some of that glare reducer football players use.

Ouch! That's gonna hurt. Yup! Swelling already!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENSENRVdirect
I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers, the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras and Advent appliances. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

The AWM960 has two power wires; one +12V DC Battery and one +12V DC Ignition. When both wires are connected to +12V DC, the stereo will remain ON. When you press the Power button, this will toggle the stereo between ON & Standby. In Standby, the LCD backlight will remain illuminated.

A solution, as grtgarris mentioned, would be to wire the +12V DC Ignition to a two-position toggle switch. This will allow you to turn the stereo OFF, in which case the LCD backlight will no longer be illuminated. The clock text will still be visible on the display.

Our newer JENSEN wall-mount stereos have either a user adjustable LCD backlight brightness setting or an auto-dimmable LCD display.

Please let me know if I can assist further.
Hi, I would love to review the newer stereos. Do you have a link to your website?

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio