Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rain Water Intrusion?

Our RV: 2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 27Q. Upon removing the bunk mattress, moisture was present on the deck. The underside of the mattress was damp. I lifted the edge of the curved "nose panel" and saw/felt moisture there. If you have ever removed the mattress in your RV, you may have noticed a metal strip running side-to-side. In my motorhome, the strip is attached to the deck by 45 screws: 15 rows, 3 screws in each column. I discovered that EVERY SCREW IN THE MIDDLE of each column was broken off at the head. Yes, every middle screw! I lifted them off with my fingers. Upon removing the strip, I detected moisture, rust, and wet wood. Needless to say, I am extremely unhappy about the workmanship and concerned about the structural damage . I'll be taking the RV in for inspection and repair. Has anyone else encountered this water intrusion? If so, where was the entry point?

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2017, 10:11 PM   #2

This is the overhead bunk, right? Do you have a window in the front of the overhead, if you do, that is the most likely culprit. I suggest removing the window and reinstalling it with new caulking.
I had a cousin with a class C which had this leak. He spent a lot of money attempting to eliminate the leak. Finally he had the entire overhead rebuilt due to rot, about $4,000. He had them eliminate that window and never had a leak since.

Another possible source is front clearance lights. I had one leaking on our 5er. the only way I discovered the source was, when washing the 5er I noticed a water line on the inside of the lens. I removed the entire light, and found that water was getting into the lens, filling to the wiring hole in the base-plate, then following the wiring into the wall.
I sealed around the wires with caulking, then drilled a 1/8" hole in bottom of every clearance light lens on the 5er. Never had another leak.
EDIT: there's a chance the leak happens while driving in rain; there's some air compression between cab and overhead. If there is a poorly sealed seam it could force water into the opening.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water