Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Re-leveling coach after one jack settles

The curb side rear HWH leveling jack settles some (3-4 inches) after sitting a while with the slides out. How do I go about getting it level again.

With the HWH controller that I have, it allows you to lower (or raise) 2 jacks at a time. But I only want to lower one jack. If I lower the right side, will it lower both the right front and right rear? Same for the rear?

I do not want to raise all of the jacks and start over with the all of the slides out for fear of causing more twisting than has already done.

Thanks,
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You will need to pull the slide in and level the needed jacks then slide out
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

wlf00,
In most cases, leveling with or without the slides out won't make any difference. The manufacturer of the coach may or may not have instructions of sequences to be followed in slide vs leveling. Check with your owners manual prior to leveling and slide movements.

Now, as to your question, yes, the HWH system does move bi-axle jacks at one time. That is, it will raise both the jacks on the front, both on one side or the other or, both the rear. But, while this system is set up to do so, it will extend both jacks until one confronts resistance. Then, it will stop that jack until the other on the circuit that's being used, confronts resistance. At that point, they will both continue to travel downward until one of two things happen.

One, you let go of the button, or two, those two jacks reach the end of travel and then, the bypass valve goes into operation if the button is continually pushed pass that point.

You say the right rear jack "settles" after a bit? Do you mean it's not holding and starting to travel back up on its own? If so, you've got a solenoid issue that's not sealing and allowing fluid to be returned to the reservoir from that particular jack. But, if you were to push the button for raising both rear jacks, the one that's still in contact with the ground will not move, the one that's suspended, will travel downward until it hits the ground/pad etc. and then, they both will raise if, the button is held.

But, just think of this. Upon starting the leveling procedure, and the jacks are all up, you push the rear set to start the leveling. Now, one may travel faster than the other due to the fact that it may be getting better pressure than the other one or, the springs are weaker than the other one. Now, that one that's traveling faster will hit the ground first, correct?

So, if what you're thinking could happen, than the one that hit the ground first would continue to go down and, in fact, start to raise the rig on that corner, before the other one would even touch the ground. So, that's why it will simply stop and wait for the other one to catch up with it and then, they both will raise the rear of the coach, together. Hope this clears some things up for you. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

One tip that I have found really helps: I use those leveling blocks that look like big lego blocks. I put a couple under each jack pad, or if visibly uneven, maybe three or four. The system seldom reaches maximum length, it levels quicker and retracts quicker also. I have never noticed any drop in height.

I watched a couple over in Bryce Canyon, Utah last week using some nifty pads that apparently had been made as cutting boards, made out of corian or similar material. They had ropes tied on them and they used a fancy dancy stick that looked like a shuttle stick to place them. What a team! She even helped him with the sewer hose. What a woman! I was almost embarrassed over my lego blocks but at least they work and I can add to them for height which they couldn't. Apparently they must spend a lot of time at swap meets or the big tent at Quartzsite.

Give a try to the blocks and see if the system holds better when not fully extended.

Good luck.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

wlf00...Fire Up is right on...I have same problem with my HWH right rear...You will have to relevel with 2 jacks...Remember to always level unit by raising low SIDE, then support coach by lowering front and rear pairs. Will be replacing my solenoid as a winter project.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all for your replies.

Quote:
You say the right rear jack "settles" after a bit? Do you mean it's not holding and starting to travel back up on its own? If so, you've got a solenoid issue that's not sealing and allowing fluid to be returned to the reservoir from that particular jack. But, if you were to push the button for raising both rear jacks, the one that's still in contact with the ground will not move, the one that's suspended, will travel downward until it hits the ground/pad etc. and then, they both will raise if, the button is held.
FIRE UP: You are correct. The right rear jack starts to travel back up on its own. But it is still touching the ground and supporting some weight. It so happens that when parked in the driveway behind my house, I need to raise the right side and then raise the rear. So the right rear is raised the most. Now the coach has a twist to it because the right rear has settled and the rest have not. I can see that the extended slides are tight at the top left and there is a gap at the top right. My dilemma is that if I extend either the two right side jacks or the two rear jacks, that both jacks will extend and I will still have the same twist in the coach that I have now.

I really do not want to retract the slides when the coach is in this twisted condition because retracting them could pull out the rubber seal where it is so tight at the top left of each slide.

Thanks,
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
You mentioned a 3-4" drop in your first post, and in the second post you indicated the problem was behind your house. My solutions would be 1) replace solenoid and 2) build solid blocks out of 2x12 to raise your tires the appropriate distance needed for level parking in this location. Then the need for jacks would be minimal/none. I routinely store my coach in a level hangar with jacks retracted and slides extended. Just my thoughts, good luck.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

As I related in my other post I have the same problem with my right rear and have also had the same problem you are concerned about with the "twist"...I drew in all jacks and then retracted the slides when coach was sitting "normal"...I know it is not recommended but have done so without any problem...I would crank it up, retract the slides and replace the solenoid !!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlf00 View Post
Thanks all for your replies.

FIRE UP: You are correct. The right rear jack starts to travel back up on its own. But it is still touching the ground and supporting some weight. It so happens that when parked in the driveway behind my house, I need to raise the right side and then raise the rear. So the right rear is raised the most. Now the coach has a twist to it because the right rear has settled and the rest have not. I can see that the extended slides are tight at the top left and there is a gap at the top right. My dilemma is that if I extend either the two right side jacks or the two rear jacks, that both jacks will extend and I will still have the same twist in the coach that I have now.

I really do not want to retract the slides when the coach is in this twisted condition because retracting them could pull out the rubber seal where it is so tight at the top left of each slide.

Thanks,
I had the same problem with my selinoids. Check the tightness of the nuts on the end of each one for the jacks. I found one very loose and tightened it up and "viola" no more sinking problems. Just be careful not to get them too tight. Read the owners manual. Hope this helps.
Richard
Old 10-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

here is the quick answer. just relevel.
you wont twist the frame any more by just releveling from the position you are in now. when you hit the button, the system will extend the jack that was retracted first. when it hits the ground, and reaches the same pressure as the other jack, both will extend together. side to side or front to rear. the system is designed to do just that. dont retract your slide. no damage will occur.
you need to mark all the jacks when its extended. use a ink marker, and mark the silver shafts in 1/4 increments for one inch.down fron the cylinder seal.
sometimes, the jack on the opposite corner retracts, and it looks like the jack you are observing is the one. when you determine which jack is retracting, replace the hydraulic solenoid for that jack. if you have a 325 system, you must check to make sure all jacks are on the ground. its possible to level with three jacks, and if you dont check rught away, you may notice, next day, that one is not touching, and assume that it has retracted. i have had a lot of customers that this has happened to.
if you have a 625 or 725 system, it will have all jacks extended, and the solenoid will have to be replaced. just replace the right one. download a service manual for your system at Welcome to HWH Corporation. it has a diagnostic procedure for just your problem.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote