Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Reading check engine light codes

Hello all, my first time on your Winnebago forum.

At the Elk Horn Campground in KY and my friend and neighbor mentioned he had yet another check engine light come on shortly before pulling in. This is the third time it has happened in the recent past. The first and second time a mechanic changed the NOX sensor and reset the code.

He has a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer 37B, Workhorse Chassis with the Banks exhaust system.

Two questions, can anyone explain how we can read/retrieve the check engine light code without a scan gauge, on my HM I can turn the ignition key several times and the code will show in the speedometer display. The other question has anyone else had NOX sensor issues where they apparently fail soon after replacement. If the current check engine light is another NOX failure, it seems odd that three have failed so rapidly.

Speaking for our friend, any info or input will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z

tnrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrvers View Post

At the Elk Horn Campground in KY and my friend and neighbor mentioned he had yet another check engine light come on shortly before pulling in. This is the third time it has happened in the recent past. The first and second time a mechanic changed the NOX sensor and reset the code.

He has a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer 37B, Workhorse Chassis with the Banks exhaust system.

Two questions, can anyone explain how we can read/retrieve the check engine light code without a scan gauge, on my HM I can turn the ignition key several times and the code will show in the speedometer display. The other question has anyone else had NOX sensor issues where they apparently fail soon after replacement. If the current check engine light is another NOX failure, it seems odd that three have failed so rapidly.

Thank You
Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
OBDII needs a scan gauge, no other way.

The MH that you can turn the ignition key several time is probably OBDI 95 and older vehicles.

OBDII 96 and newer vehicles

What do you mean by NOX

Old 05-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #3

Quote:

Thank You
Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z

A NOX (nitrogen-oxide) sensor can fail or be blamed for not doing it's job due to other issues, just like any other sensor can look bad if you just look at the codes and do not diagnose the root problem. For OBDII as mentioned you will need a scanner. A generic scanner will only read generic codes but something like AutoEnginuity will read them all if you purchase the software for that make. Torque pro and a wireless bluetooth adapter is another option if you have an Android device. Other than that you will pay big bucks for a scanner that will be able to read manufacturer specific codes. Generic codes are good for many as they will be all of your emission related codes which are the ones that illuminate the check engine light.

Once you have the codes you usually have some detective work to do as a sensor code is usually just a starting place and you will need to track down the issues.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CJ7365

Thanks for your reply.

The NOX sensor(I believe that is what the mechanic called it) is part of the exhaust emission equipment and it is installed into the exhaust pipe before the catalytic converter. I believe it's function is to read the exhaust gas and adjust the fuel mixture.

Thanks for info that the code can only be read by a scan gauge, I feel lucky, ours is a 2000 Bounder diesel on a Freightliner chassis and I can get any code, must be the diesel what do you think.

Thanks again.

Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
Old 05-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
bigb56

Thanks for your reply.

Can I assume you may have so direct knowledge or experience with these types of issues. Having said that what do you think, maybe the cause of the first two failures has yet to be found. If so, exactly what type of shop or experienced mechanic would you suggest he go to. The last two were RV mechanics and depth of experience is unknown.

Thanks again.

Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
Old 05-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
CJ7365

Thanks for your reply.

The NOX sensor(I believe that is what the mechanic called it) is part of the exhaust emission equipment and it is installed into the exhaust pipe before the catalytic converter. I believe it's function is to read the exhaust gas and adjust the fuel mixture.

Thanks for info that the code can only be read by a scan gauge, I feel lucky, ours is a 2000 Bounder diesel on a Freightliner chassis and I can get any code, must be the diesel what do you think.

Thanks again.

Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
I know what a NOX sensor is, I have just heard them call O2 sensor.

Yes, diesel is a whole other animal. It does not have an OBDII connector.

Ask your friend, if the mechanic or he has cleaned the MAF sensor, it is located in line behind the air cleaner, it should be cleaned annually, this sensor tells the engine via computer how to mix air/fuel ratio.

Auto Zone or Orielly's will have a scan tool you can "rent" that you can get the codes.

You can also reset the Check Engine light with the scan tool.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was getting P0151 and P0152 Check Engine Lights. That refers to the O2 sensors.

I replaced the sensor...no help.

Cleaned the MAF...fixed the problem.

Turns out the sensors were doing their job of reporting bad air to fuel mixture which was a direct result of the MAF being dirty.

Very common problem on the 8.1 and a lot of shops making money changing out the O2 sensors.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:00 PM   #8

Quote:
bigb56

Thanks for your reply.

Can I assume you may have so direct knowledge or experience with these types of issues. Having said that what do you think, maybe the cause of the first two failures has yet to be found. If so, exactly what type of shop or experienced mechanic would you suggest he go to. The last two were RV mechanics and depth of experience is unknown.

Thanks again.

Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z

I am just a shade tree but I have the Autoenginuity setup and Torque Pro. I work on my own stuff and my grandkids cars. If the Workhorse has the Vortec 8.1 engine a General Motors mechanic should be able to work on it, it doesn't need to be an RV guy, probably better if it isn't.

As an example my granddaughter's car kept throwing a P0420 code which indicated the Cataytic converter on that side wasn't doing it's job. A new converter was installed along with a new 02 sensor. Shortly after the same code came up again. Further investigation revealed a leaking intake which turned out to be the root cause of it all, the ECM was trying to make up for the lean condition caused by the leak by adding fuel and was loading up the converter.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to all who provided assistance.

We were able to get to the MAF sensor and remove it as well as seeing that the throttle body is accessible. Tomorrow we will clean both, reassemble and try to clear the check engine light by disconnecting the batteries, which may or may not clear the fault, but easy and worth the try. If it doesn't clear he will go by Autozone and have them clear the code and wait to see if the NOX code returns.

If the check engine returns, when he get home in a month or so he'll get a mechanic to dig into it and resolve it once and for all.

Thanks again.
Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
Old 05-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
OBDII needs a scan gauge, no other way.

The MH that you can turn the ignition key several time is probably OBDI 95 and older vehicles.

OBDII 96 and newer vehicles

What do you mean by NOX

Not entirely true. On earlier OBD-II equipped Ford vehicles with the electronic odometer, you hold down the trip odometer button while turning the key on. It will first do a light check, then a gauge sweep check, and then toggle through several different live readings (RPM, fuel trim, etc.) and then pull up DTC codes. On Chrysler vehicles up until they went CAN bus, you could use the KO/KO (X3) to pull DTC's. They would show in the electronic odometer also.

Unfortunately, GM didn't include an easy way to pull codes. There is a way to display them by using a test port under the hood, but I don't remember how they did that - unlike the old days (OBD-I) where you jumpered two pins in the ALDL.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #11

In Oregon, their emission test tests for NOX......had a friends car that wouldn't pass....believe this or not, flushed cooling system and passed!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
In Oregon, their emission test tests for NOX......had a friends car that wouldn't pass....believe this or not, flushed cooling system and passed!
That is believable since higher temps increase NOX emissions

Tags
check engine light, engine, light