Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #1

We recently bought a 2004 Itasca 36G Meridian that was in great shape -- except for the dirty/stained carpet. Since this seems to be a common problem, I thought I would report on a possible solution.

Our carpet was a mess and it looked like the prior owner dumped a pot of coffee right by the dinette table. We bought the coach anyway since the price was great, the rest of the coach was like new, and we figured we would replace the carpet. However, before replacing the carpet I figured what the heck - I would try to clean it. Tried once with the Hoover steam cleaner, but not much result. Then, I tried again using OxiClean (the dry crystals). I made a very thick solution and used a brush to really rub it in (the carpet ended up damp, but not soaked). I let it sit for about an hour and then used my Hoover steam cleaner (using only water, no soap) to rinse/dry it. I must have rinsed it 15 times before the water being vacuumed up looked clear.

After it dried, I was amazed. The carpet looked like new! The stain was virtually gone (and it was bad before). In fact, the wife said it looked so good that we will forget replacement for awhile. I did not seem to cause any wear or problems on the carpet and am quite pleased with how it turned out. I would recommend you try a small area first to be sure your carpet is colorfast, but it sure worked great for us.

2020 Fleetwood Discovery 40M
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #2

We recently bought a 2004 Itasca 36G Meridian that was in great shape -- except for the dirty/stained carpet. Since this seems to be a common problem, I thought I would report on a possible solution.

Our carpet was a mess and it looked like the prior owner dumped a pot of coffee right by the dinette table. We bought the coach anyway since the price was great, the rest of the coach was like new, and we figured we would replace the carpet. However, before replacing the carpet I figured what the heck - I would try to clean it. Tried once with the Hoover steam cleaner, but not much result. Then, I tried again using OxiClean (the dry crystals). I made a very thick solution and used a brush to really rub it in (the carpet ended up damp, but not soaked). I let it sit for about an hour and then used my Hoover steam cleaner (using only water, no soap) to rinse/dry it. I must have rinsed it 15 times before the water being vacuumed up looked clear.

After it dried, I was amazed. The carpet looked like new! The stain was virtually gone (and it was bad before). In fact, the wife said it looked so good that we will forget replacement for awhile. I did not seem to cause any wear or problems on the carpet and am quite pleased with how it turned out. I would recommend you try a small area first to be sure your carpet is colorfast, but it sure worked great for us.

2020 Fleetwood Discovery 40M
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:31 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rv rick:

After it dried, I was amazed. The carpet looked like new! The stain was virtually gone (and it was bad before). In fact, the wife said it looked so good that we will forget replacement for awhile. I did not seem to cause any wear or problems on the carpet and am quite pleased with how it turned out. I would recommend you try a small area first to be sure your carpet is colorfast, but it sure worked great for us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OxiClean has to be one of the best products you can buy. My wife accidental dropped a jar of marinara sauce in our MH; the jar cracked but the lid never came off. There was a little sauce on the edge of the counter and a drawer but the thought she dodged a bullet until my son came in and pointing to the ceiling, asked ˜what's that?' She said it literally looked like someone had been shot. Crying the entire time (she knew that I was going to be upset) she used OxiClean on the fabric ceiling and it came out perfect! I didn't even know until the next day when my wife and son told me what had happened...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote