Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Rear end noise at 58 to 63 mph 2010 Winnebago Sightseer Workhorse

Hello, I have a 2010 Winnebago Sightseer 31E on a Workhorse Chassis and there is a whine noise that seems to come on around 58 to 63 mph. Now I have checked the rear end fluid and it is full. And when the motorhome is cold there is NO rear end noise at all and after a 100 miles or so then it comes back. It does seem to go away after 63 to 70 mph. Is there an additive you can put in the rear end to quiet the noise or change the fluid ? does anyone have a whine noise like this ? Any help would be appreciated !!!! racecar327
racecar327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Does the noise change with left/right turns? Are you sure its not tire whine? Does the noise go away if you step on or let off the gas?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Stick some 80-140W rear end lube in her and see if that quiets it some.

Skip H.
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

The noise only seems to go away only when the motorhome is cold. That is when just leaving the campground and getting on the highway. After 100 miles or so, the noise or whine returns from 58 to 63 and there is some difference when you let off the gas.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

If the rear cover comes off open it up do an eyeball inspection looking for anything obvious or unusual. Knowing how to interpret wear patterns and taking measurements is a bit of an art but doing a look see is pretty low risk of making things worse. If not just drain and refill.

Drain the oil into a clean container and let it settle for a day or two then inspect what ever settle to the bottom such as metal or other debris. Stick with the recommended lubricate type and weight for a refill for now.

Also check the universal joints if they have a zerk fitting. If present give them a couple of pumps of grease. Universal usually scream when under load when they get tired but check anyways.

You could send a sample of the oil out to a lab to see how much metal is in it. Call your lab of choice first and ask if they have a base line or other such data to compare against. A lab check will at least verify the oil weight and the presents of water or other stuff that shouldn't be there. Differentials do warm up as you go down the road but normally don't get hot enough to degrade the lubricant.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

This rear end in the W22 Workhorse chassis does not have a cover on the back like the Ford 9" truck. It's massive and the oil check hole id on the front pass side about a little over halfway up. The oil appears to look like Syn and clean from what I can see. I will pump some grease into the universal joints today or Monday to see if it helps. It still strange that when COLD the rear has NO whine or any noise for at lease 100 miles or so or until the rear end gets hot ? Also at 64 and up the whine disappears. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Based on your descriptions, wondering if it could be the exhaust. Every differential I have had that developed a noise didn't go away once you got over/under a specific speed. Wheel bearings might also be a culprit. Most of the issues I have read about with the differentials have been wheel bearings as opposed to the actual gear set.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Based on your descriptions, wondering if it could be the exhaust. Every differential I have had that developed a noise didn't go away once you got over/under a specific speed. Wheel bearings might also be a culprit. Most of the issues I have read about with the differentials have been wheel bearings as opposed to the actual gear set.
Forgot about that one. Had a Ford Range what seemed like 30 years ago, well it was 30 years ago. The heat shield around the catalytic convertor would start singing around 50 MPH and stop around 60. Sympathetic vibration.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Wow, now that was a hard thing to find, it could be a wind noise like that. Maybe I'm thinking to much. Thanks for your help, I'll keeping checking. Although this whine really is not there when the coach is first driven or cold. It's usually after a hour or two that you seem to notice. Interesting!!!! Thanks Again
Old 04-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

This one is interesting. If there is a wear pattern developing with the ring and/or pinion gear that wear pattern can not change. Metal worn off causing the noise won't come back so the noise is always there. It may change in volume with speed.

Yes the temperature of the fluid and gears may alter the noise but my experience with those types of worn parts is the noise is always there but it will change based on RPM's and temperature but they won't just go away.

I have not seen everything or every way this can happen so there's always a chance.

We traveled to ME from AR one summer (1999 F-53 chassis) and on the way it developed the normal differential ring/pinion gear noise. It reached a point and stayed there. We took it to a Ford shop in Bangor. They diagnosed it as a bad ring/pinion gear but told us to just drive it back to AR and have it fixed. So we drove it 2,000 miles back to AR. It never got worse but made the wirrrrrring noise all the way back.We took it to Tulsa and under warranty it was replaced.

We don't know your mechanical background so I have to ask. Have you heard other bad differential gear noises as a basis of comparison??? Do you really know what a worn differential noise sounds like???

I'd suggest crawling under the unit and do some good hard looking. Poke around a bit and see if you can find a loose heat shield. Smack, bump, or tap things a bit to see if something could vibrate. Can you walk back and listen to determine if it's center, left or right??

If it's a gear noise it will change when loaded or unloaded (gas on or gas off). That makes sense with a ring/pinion noise. Gas on is loaded and pressure on the gears is greatest. Let off and the pressure is less and noise goes away.

Turning left and right is to test the load on a tapered roller bearing. It puts side pressure on those bearings.

Usually a tire wear problem does not come on suddenly unless you've rotated tires recently and it is not usually related to tire temp but tire speed. But anything is possible.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Just curious but when was it last serviced?
If it was what oil was put in?
How many miles on it?
Has it ever been rebuilt?

You say that it doesn't do it when cold! That indicates to me that as the oil thins out with heat it may be a viscosity issue.
There are so many issues that could be a factor if it was rebuilt.

When the noise is there is it when cruising or once you start to pull under acceleration.

The noise you describe may not be an issue as far as long lasting goes. But I would change the oil and get a sample when it is hot.
Try not to take the sample from the bottom but from the half way point of the level.

You could check the backlash: Pinion to Crown gear which may give you an indication if the specs are out enough to cause a problem.

One thing is for sure you either live with it or pay big buck to repair.

But on the brighter side if it has been there for some time it is probably fine.
Differentials destroy them selves very quickly when things go wrong.
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
If the oil was changed recently, maybe the wrong oil was used. Rear ends MUST use EP oil. That's extreme pressure oil. If regular mineral oil is used, the ring and pinon gears will be ruined.
Good luck.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I have very similar symptom that I have yet to find the culprit for close to two years now. Mine is a high pitch whine at 65mph, as soon as I hit 65ish, it’s there, 66ish and above gone. It is quiet when cold as well. Definitely under load, as soon as I take foot off of the gas, it stops ( but speed slows as well)

It is a class C, 2002 E450 chassis. When I first bought the motor home, (before I driven 65mph, so didn’t know if noise was there or not) local shop r/r’d rear axle bearings and changed diff fluid with synth, as well as new brakes.

At first I thought noise was from front of vehicle, but I think it is originating from the rear. Previous internet search led me to change out idler pulley and tensioner, and an alternator that had a slight whine, but noise still there
It has not gotten any worse in close to two years and 8000 miles, so I just live with it for now. It’s a pain, as 65 is the speed I like to drive on highway, and I’m always jockeying above and below so it’s quiet.

I was going to have driveshaft and u joints checked next, but catalytic conv heat shield is something quick to check as well I have an audio clip of noise that I will try to find,

Open to try anything and hoping to get it TCO if possible.

2002 Class C Shasta Cheyenne 304
c_ref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

My old Suburban had gear whine, was always there cold or hot and would change with power on vs. power off. Drove it like that for over 100 K miles.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqpko2icg8...995~2.mp4?dl=0,

Here's a link to a 15 sec video from my phone. Audio not as loud as actual, but you can hear the whine come and go as I step on and off gas pedal.
Attached Files

Old 04-18-2017, 07:25 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Definitely gear wine! Heard that many times. Check your drain plug for you diff. Hopefully it has a magnet on it and will give an indication of damage. Sounds like improper gear setting for crown and pinion.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:25 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Unplanned. I'm assuming if it is a problem in the differential, it's not going to be a cheap fix. Since it does not seem to be getting worse, I may continue to live with it. Not sure yet.

Racecar:. Is this noise similar to yours?

Old 04-19-2017, 07:07 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Definitely gear wine! Heard that many times. Check your drain plug for you diff. Hopefully it has a magnet on it and will give an indication of damage. Sounds like improper gear setting for crown and pinion.
I agree with this!

Just to add to this I am not a fan of Synthetic Diff oil. I don't want to get into why because that as it would change the focus of the thread. But I do have a lot of experience with heavy diffs and synthetic oil. And I would never again use it.
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:09 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Is your axle a Dana/Spicer S135? I know some Workhorse chassis used them. My Ford F53 does.

On the S135 axle the pinion depth is not adjustable. To set it up, you set the backlash, then adjust the pattern. Adjusting the pattern screws up the backlash, but since you can't adjust the pinion depth, there's nothing more that can be done. My axle has a good pattern, but excessive backlash and it's just like yours, noisy at certain speeds when warmed up.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Is your axle a Dana/Spicer S135? I know some Workhorse chassis used them. My Ford F53 does.

On the S135 axle the pinion depth is not adjustable. To set it up, you set the backlash, then adjust the pattern. Adjusting the pattern screws up the backlash, but since you can't adjust the pinion depth, there's nothing more that can be done. My axle has a good pattern, but excessive backlash and it's just like yours, noisy at certain speeds when warmed up.
I agree and have the same noise on my W24 with the S-135. Pull the fill plug which is magnetic and check for fuzz (metal) and I'll bet there is none. Also check the fluid, of course.
If there is no metal on the plug I say turn the radio up. We now have 40K on ours and just finished a 10,000 mile cross country trip. The rear end noise has been there since day one.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, sightseer, winnebago, workhorse