Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Just came across this in RV.Travel and thought I'd post it just in case. I don't know if anyone has posted it before or not.

If anyone is having problems with driving in a straight line this may be the cause.

Tom

Winnebago is recalling 1,972 MY 2004-2008 Vecta and Itasca Horizon motorhome chassis equipped with ZF Model 8018 steering gears. These steering gears may have been assembled with the incorrect recirculating ball spacer. This could potentially allow the recirculation balls to escape from the recirculation ball circuit resulting in a loss of steering. The operator may notice higher required steering wheel inputs, or the need for more steering wheel adjustments while driving in a straight line in combination with metallic cracking noises prior to a loss of steering. Loss of steering could result in a vehicle crash. Winnebago is working with Freightliner and ZF to replace the steering gear.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Just came across this in RV.Travel and thought I'd post it just in case. I don't know if anyone has posted it before or not.

If anyone is having problems with driving in a straight line this may be the cause.

Tom

Winnebago is recalling 1,972 MY 2004-2008 Vecta and Itasca Horizon motorhome chassis equipped with ZF Model 8018 steering gears. These steering gears may have been assembled with the incorrect recirculating ball spacer. This could potentially allow the recirculation balls to escape from the recirculation ball circuit resulting in a loss of steering. The operator may notice higher required steering wheel inputs, or the need for more steering wheel adjustments while driving in a straight line in combination with metallic cracking noises prior to a loss of steering. Loss of steering could result in a vehicle crash. Winnebago is working with Freightliner and ZF to replace the steering gear.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the head's up Tom.

This came out maybe six or eight months ago and when we had our Freightliner service performed in October, the dealer still hadn't received any word about the specifics of the recall.

The latest I heard there was still debate between ZF and Freightliner as to what the remedy should should be.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:47 AM   #4

I received my notice from FL a couple of weeks ago about the recall. Called the FL shop, made appointment and had it repaired. It took less than a day for the repair. I have the 36G Journey. It seems to be on the FL chassis built between Jan and june of 07.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
This ZF recall is for IFS equipped FL rigs. In Winnebago's case that means Vectra/Horizon only.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote