Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We've read the discussions regarding extended warranties on most of the forums, but would like one more round of comments and your experiences please.

Does anyone have positive or negative comments specifically about Warranty Experts? They are now the top candidate and we are considering 7 yrs with Tire Guard. Their coverage seems to fit our needs and is fairly straight-forward. And Jason did offer us a little discount off the original quote.

We are taking into consideration the normal warranties associated with the new coach. We've read the opinions on whether or not to have an extended warranty, but we will be full-timers, using everything all the time, we can afford it upfront, will have peace of mind, etc. In the past we've had major applicances fail days before the warranty expired.

Although this question is not specific to Winnebago, this Owner's Corner is the most active and responsive. We've learn so much from everyone here. Thanks in advance.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We've read the discussions regarding extended warranties on most of the forums, but would like one more round of comments and your experiences please.

Does anyone have positive or negative comments specifically about Warranty Experts? They are now the top candidate and we are considering 7 yrs with Tire Guard. Their coverage seems to fit our needs and is fairly straight-forward. And Jason did offer us a little discount off the original quote.

We are taking into consideration the normal warranties associated with the new coach. We've read the opinions on whether or not to have an extended warranty, but we will be full-timers, using everything all the time, we can afford it upfront, will have peace of mind, etc. In the past we've had major applicances fail days before the warranty expired.

Although this question is not specific to Winnebago, this Owner's Corner is the most active and responsive. We've learn so much from everyone here. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I see you really want these extended warranties.

Tell the dealer you'll sign on the dotted line if he throws in these warranties for FREE. They cost him very little. If he balks go home. He'll be calling you.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Tom and I are on the same page.

Please remember you are basically buying insurance and not a warranty. In fact it is insurance usually loaded with *many* restrictions and exclusions. Before you give them a dime, obtain a copy of the contract and carefully read and understand every word.

My opinion is you are far better off putting that money away in a fairly liquid investment than giving it to a 'warranty' company.

Businesses push extended 'warranties' because it costs them very little and in the case of appliance/electronic retailers, they actually make more of a percentage profit on the 'warranty' than the product.

Good luck with your decision.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Suggest you listen to John, I wish I had on my first MH after ownong it for six months we upgraded to a larger unit and we lost $2000 on the policy we never used. Save your money and read and send in your warenties.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the straight answers. We will rethink the extended warranty. We usually do not purchase them for other items.

(I'm guessing you would have the same response if we end up with a 2007 Monaco DP.)

My DH is so mechanical, understands & can do most of the electrical and plumbing, cabinetry, construction, general handyman stuff. He's so smart, a genius with computers, but perhaps lacking in the engine & transmission stuff. Which already have great regular warranties.

I'll make him a deal to drive the MH if he will work on the fixit stuff. Don't tell him I WANT to drive. THANKS!
Old 06-10-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

when i purchaced our coach, we bought an extended warrenty from STAR CO> sold thru Bill Ollinger rv in portland oregon. they told us our 200.00 deductable will cover all covered systems .. they were less than truthfull,, just got a bill for repairs ,,, star paid for two parts 129.00 we paid 426.00 for diagnostics the dealler did. watch out for these types of dealers , they lie to get the sale,,, put the money u would have paid for the ex. warr. in a savings acct and u will be way ahead
billba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoneFishin:
Thank you for the straight answers. We will rethink the extended warranty. We usually do not purchase them for other items.

(I'm guessing you would have the same response if we end up with a 2007 Monaco DP.)

My DH is so mechanical, understands & can do most of the electrical and plumbing, cabinetry, construction, general handyman stuff. He's so smart, a genius with computers, but perhaps lacking in the engine & transmission stuff. Which already have great regular warranties.

I'll make him a deal to drive the MH if he will work on the fixit stuff. Don't tell him I WANT to drive. THANKS! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like to take an opposing view, or at least ask a few questions. What is the cost of the extended warranty (insurance) and what is the length of time and mileage it will cover? Is there a deductible per item, per visit, or maybe a ˜zero' deductible option? How many miles do you drive per year and what is the standard chassis and coach warranty? A five year extended warranty isn't really five years if your MH comes with a one or two year warranty from the manufacturer at the time of purchase. Most important, what are the exclusions of the policy and what is the norm for having the work done when something is broken?

I'm not a fan of extended warranties but bought one on my MH; we've had so many problems with it that I find it hard to believe that the price up front wasn't worth the price of admission and piece of mind. While most motorhomes are built well, things do break. Just look at all the posts in the Winnebago, Fleetwood, Workhorse and Ford chassis forums, for example.

Check with a large service department and ask them what typical failures are on a three, four and five year old MH. Keep in mind the more you use that MH on a yearly basis, the more likely you will experience failures. Comparing failure experiences to someone that takes their unit out only five or six times a year and only drives 1,200 miles a year doesn't work as a good comparison.

Lastly, what can you afford? If you have no failures for three years but then have a sizeable failure, financially, would it be a big deal? No question that extended warranties can offer a huge profit to the dealer, but then look at the huge markup at MSRP on motorhomes! Get the best possible coverage and get the best possible price, and then decide in your own mind how you feel; there's really no right or wrong answer.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:15 AM   #9
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Mine is on the coach only. I feel it was reasonable and if I did not have it I would have spent much more on repairs than what it cost me. Now I am considering one on the drive train. For me it works.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:37 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We have had the extended waranty on two MHs. When we traded , the waranty had not expired and we were given a refund of the non used period. We have found it a good gamble. We have had things go that one doesn't think of and find the prices for replacement are very high. An example is a rear view camera went out and needed replacement. The camera (Sony color) was over $400. My cost $100 deductable.