RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2005, 06:05 PM   #1

We are thinking about getting rid of (hopefully selling) our couch and replacing it with a desk. I think I'll have to remove the passenger seat to remove the couch. The mounting bolts are under the carpet. Before I start tearing into things, I'd like to ask if the seat can be removed without major surgery. Also, can the couch mounting bolts be similarly handled. Thanks

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2005, 06:05 PM   #2

We are thinking about getting rid of (hopefully selling) our couch and replacing it with a desk. I think I'll have to remove the passenger seat to remove the couch. The mounting bolts are under the carpet. Before I start tearing into things, I'd like to ask if the seat can be removed without major surgery. Also, can the couch mounting bolts be similarly handled. Thanks

Old 05-26-2005, 05:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Cyko,

Which floorplan do you have, and which couch are you planning on replacing?

We have the 36GD and just this winter I removed the banquette (loveseat), RestEasy sofa, and dinette. As most RV furniture is, they all disassemble from their steel frames so they come out in very reasonable peaces. The frame itself is attached with several screws to the floor. Even the Rest Easy breaks down to 7 pieces, each of which can be carried by 1 person easily through the door.

You won't need to remove the front seat to get any of the existing furniture pieces out, however if you need to remove it to install the desk, you can remove the seat from the pedestal by just removing 4 bolts holding the seat to the slide mechanism. Just becareful when unhooking the cable connecting to the adjusting mechinism so you remember how to reattach it. By leaving the pedestal attached to the floor you won't have to mess with the carpet.

Joe
Old 05-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #4

We have the 36G with dining slideout. We have already removed the booth and replaced it with a computer desk, and we want to remove the main couch (Resteasy?) and put some other furniture there. I hadn't thought of taking the driver's seat off the pedestal; it seems obvious now that you mention it. I didn't know the couch broke down. Thanks for the information.

Old 06-08-2005, 03:55 PM   #5

THis is kind of off-topic, but the discussion about removing the passenger/driver seats reminded me of an item that may be of interest to others. First the short story, then the item of interest.

After about 6 months of usage the electric motor controlling the forward/aft seat position for the drivers seat broke. I could hear the electric motor operate, but the seat did not move. When parked we typically moved the driver seat forward and backward to enable rotating it around towards the rear.

So investigating the problem I was able to determine the gear shaft housing on the motor was cracked allowing the motor to move such that the motor drive gear was no longer contacting the internal driven gear. To get down the road I was able to hold the motor in place and move the seat. The rig was still under warrantee and upon returning to our home I was able to convince our local dealer to order a replacement motor assembly without bringing the rig in. When the motor assembly arrived I next convinced the dealer to allow me to remove the seat and bring the seat in so the dealer could remove/replace the two screws holding the motor. Anyway, the dealer replaced the motor, I replaced the seat, and we were all happy.

So now the item of interest. After removing the seat by taking out the 4 pedestal bolts, the old-time engineer in me went into "failure analysis" mode to determine what caused the motor housing to break.

I discovered the moter drive housing, which is made of a high impact plastic material, was totally fractured as described above and I also noticed a severe metal scrape on the side of the motor. So, wondering what caused the scrape on the motor I reinstalled the seat. Holding the motor in place I moved the seat forward and backward. During the process of moving the seat I discovered the motor was displaced upwards about 1/2 inch each time it moved forward/backward over the top of the pedestal center swivel shaft. This shaft protruded upwards about 1 inch above the surrounding pedestal plates. This forced displacement of motor the caused the motor gear housing to break. Looking at the passenger seat I discovered the drive motor on it was also being displaced, however, since it wasn't moved as frequently, it had not yet broken.

Cutting, or otherwise shortening the pedestal center shaft was the obivous solution...but it turns out there was a much easier fix. The pedestal mounting bolts were sufficently long to allow placement of 1/2 spacers (made from 3/8 in I.D.pipe) and washers between the pedestal and seat. This was done for both the passenger and driver seats and resulted in both seats being moved up slightly (1/2 inch). Bottom line, the drive motor now has sufficient clearance and no further damage should occur. It really doesn't matter, but I wonder if this was a design fault of Flexsteel (the seat manufacturor), the pedestal vendor, or WB?

Anyway, the motor replacement cost was $275.00 and covered under warentee. It may be worth a quick peak with a flash light at the motors under your seat.