Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

can anyone tell me how to remove rear cap so I can repair my ac duct. I cant reach it from underneath or from the tail light. winn doesnt have any paperwork to help me. any help would be app
Old 05-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

can anyone tell me how to remove rear cap so I can repair my ac duct. I cant reach it from underneath or from the tail light. winn doesnt have any paperwork to help me. any help would be app
Old 05-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Finding all the screws would be a task, but I would be more concerned with how much that cap weighs. Hopefully they can tell you that. It appears the ladder roof attachment point, the screws under the side trim strips & along the roof under all that Dicor to start.

If the loose tape is not structural (holding the duct together), I would try some duct mastic containing fibers, and after cleaning the area, apply it with a roller. It appears the duct is mounted flat against the rear wall & hopefully the tape is still intact there.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

jdsr,

I had to have my a/c duct repaired and Winnebago paid for it. Mine is an 04 and out of warranty also. I called them and talked to a tech who approved the repair after a couple of days. I would give them a try before taking it off myself. I think it takes several people to remove it safely.
While they had it off I paid to have reflectix type insulation (bubble wrap) wrapped around the duct over the factory insulation. I don't know if it helped or not, but feel like it had to.

Hope they take care of you,
Dave
Old 05-30-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davel:
jdsr,

I had to have my a/c duct repaired and Winnebago paid for it. Mine is an 04 and out of warranty also. I called them and talked to a tech who approved the repair after a couple of days. I would give them a try before taking it off myself. I think it takes several people to remove it safely.
While they had it off I paid to have reflectix type insulation (bubble wrap) wrapped around the duct over the factory insulation. I don't know if it helped or not, but feel like it had to.

Hope they take care of you,
Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Dave, when did you get yours fixed. The tech said it was out of warr and they would not pay fro it. I was very nice and polite when I asked, you know catch more flies with sugar thing, but they said I am required to do a certain amount of maint on my mh. If I was told I would have to do this kind of maint I would of never bought this mh. I believe This problem has been here for a while but no one caught it or wanted to catch it. From what I see when I pull up info on this it is a problem and they know it. When I buy my next motorhome my memory will not fail me, my friends or anyone else who I tell my story to. I guess they will save a few hundred dollors only to lose 200,000.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 AM   #6

jdsr, I bought a laser temperature gun at Pep Boys for less than $50. You can aim this temp gauge up toward the duct work and as far as I can tell, my duct isnt seperated. I cant feel free flowing cold air when I reach my hand up behind the rear cap toward the duct work.

On hot days, I have run my hand on the OUTSIDE of the cap and felt where the duct runs up and feels cooler than the rest of the rear cap, but that doesnt mean that the duct has seperated, as the duct isnt insulated very well and will spread the cold to the nearby rear cap.

If you cant feel free moving cold air when you reach your hand up near the duct inside the cap, you most likely dont have duct seperation.

PS...you can use your laser temperature gun on tires and anything else you desire....its a good purchase.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Maybe you can find a company that spray the foam insulation in home and have them spray it. That would seal it.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:12 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">From what I see when I pull up info on this it is a problem and they know it. When I buy my next motorhome my memory will not fail me, my friends or anyone else who I tell my story to. I guess they will save a few hundred dollors only to lose 200,000. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The A/C duct separating HAS BEEN a long running problem. I had problems with my duct as well but it was addressed under warranty in FC. I would escalate the problem and don't stop with the technician. They probably have no authority to make these decisions, certainly not in today's economic times.

I can understand how you feel about purchasing another Winnebago if the decision stands as is. I would have the same attitude. I would escalate the problem.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Harry B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">From what I see when I pull up info on this it is a problem and they know it. When I buy my next motorhome my memory will not fail me, my friends or anyone else who I tell my story to. I guess they will save a few hundred dollors only to lose 200,000. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The A/C duct separating HAS BEEN a long running problem. I had problems with my duct as well but it was addressed under warranty in FC. I would escalate the problem and don't stop with the technician. They probably have no authority to make these decisions, certainly not in today's economic times.

I can understand how you feel about purchasing another Winnebago if the decision stands as is. I would have the same attitude. I would escalate the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I agree, its a problem and they know it.Thats not a bad Idea. I will call back again. Frontranger, I put a spot light under the cap and it has a 3 foot split where the tape is coming off. the cold air is blowing out there. I wouldnt have seen it without this light because I have looked before but I guess not good enough. Im betting this will solve my ac problems that I have had since day one. I will be buying another mh in the near future and I will look elsewhere. Word of mouth advertising can be your best friend or worst enemy.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

As an additional point of info, I indicated that I had problems as well.

I taped the seam as far as I could reach up, but the problem was higher up as well. Winnebago retaped that higher portion of my duct without removing the cap. It was completed in a couple of hours along with some other problems. They must have a real tall and skinny guy working there

It is still sealed today as far as I can tell. I periodically inspect it by removing both my tail lights. I can see both sides of the duct that way.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I want to thank Harry and winnebago. Harry for telling me to call Winnebago back and winnebago for taking another look at my problem.After talking to Brian at winnebago they have agreed to fix it if its reasonable.I sure have a warm and fuzzy feeling about winnebago now. Winnebago will be my next mh Its hard to believe I've been fighting this ac problem and it could have been something this simple. Thanks again Brian.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Glad to hear that Winnebago is stepping up to resolving your A/C problem. Often it becomes an issue of being persistent, explaining a situation properly and doing so with the right person. I have not found Winnebago to be unreasonable in past dealing. Let's hope their support continues in this fashion. That is a win win for both parties.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

jdsr,

Great to hear they are going to take care of it. Winnebago has treated me well and it's good to hear they are doing right by their product. Mine was repaired last fall with over 26,000 miles.

Dave
Old 05-31-2008, 12:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

this might not turn out to be a very costly repair for Winnebago but this will def be a sale on my next mh, A WINNEBAGO.