RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Removing the protective film

Trying to figure out the best way to remove the protective clear film on the front of my 2008 Winnebago

scooterbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Is it Diamond Shield or a 3M protective film? Lots of posts here on how to remove various types of protective film. Do a search on Diamond Shield (although most of the posters confuse it with the 3M film) or the 3M Film.

Diamond Shield can be removed by pointing the coach south and letting the sun really heat it up. It usually just peals off.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
https://youtu.be/Y0O8wTuY08c
This guy sells a product, and guarantees it works. The key was to work slowly.....patiently....and keep it in one piece. Also much better to get it off before it cracks.
Mine is coming off next year, after our Alaska trip.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have no idea What time it is help you tell
Old 09-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Kind
Old 09-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #6

Well, to some extent it really doesn't matter which one it is, the process is about the same. Remove the plastic, then clean the residual glue. Sounds easy. Problem is, by the time you want to remove it because it looks bad, it won't come off in those nice big sheets. I've been spending a lot of time slowly doing mine, which is very mildewed and cracked.

Removing the plastic usually involves some sort of gentle heat/steam and plastic scrapers (or better) those red plastic razor blades which won't harm the paint. Sometimes you can get it off in large hunks, sometimes it's in quarter-size pieces. Once the plastic is off, you can clean off the remaining glue.

Search as others have said for Diamond Shield or 3M and you will get pages of tips, what worked, what didn't.

Here's a 6-pager to get you started:

Diamond Shield Removal
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
If all else fails, consider taking coach to CDI in Forest City, They do great work at a very reasonable price. Had some mold under shield behind the 'hood' portion of our coach. While at GNR, CDI techs came to our site, removed 'hood', took it to shop where they removed shield, cleaned mold, replaced shield then replaced 'hood' on coach while the coach was still on rally grounds. All for very reasonable cost.
Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
2015 Equinox
WIT 47083 FMCA 263635
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:30 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try Ugly Shield Removal

This series of videos are mandatory viewing for anyone considering.

Wayne Michalski runs Ugly Shield Removal in Fort Meyers, Florida. I'm sitting in his lot this morning preparing to have the film removed from my coach. He is an amazing guy with a very nice indoor facility. And, he will allow you to camp right on the lot with 50A power and water.

Wayne also sells his proprietary removal product which, according to him, is a combination of two different chemicals that soften both the film and the underlying adhesive.

Wayne has an excellent set of videos on youtube - just search for ugly shield removal. if you want to do it yourself, he'll show you how.

If you are anywhere close to Fort Meyers though, you really should consider his service. For $750, he'll remove the film, polish and wax the paint, refinish your headlights, and wash the coach. A complete hand wax is and additional $300.

I'll update after the work is done on my coach today!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #9
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Yep, you got to get through the No's before you get to the yes's.

https://uglyshieldremoval.com/videos/
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:05 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ugly Shield Removal review

I can't recommend Wayne and his company, Ugly Shield Removal highly enough. My experience with his service was simply amazing. Wayne runs his small business the way every business should be run. His technical skills are impressive but the service experience he provides his customers is beyond compare. You can certainly take the film off yourself and Wayne's videos will show you how. But, for $750 you can let Ugly Shield Removal do all the work and you'll get a wash and get your headlights polished up nicely.

See the attached photos. My film was headed downhill in a hurry. I'd developed a good bit of mold under the film and most areas were streaked and stained from cleaning chemicals and just plain exposure to the elements. It was time to get it off!

The end result is amazing. While I dislike the way the film looked after seven years, it definitely did it's job. The paint underneath the film was pristine!

Now, I have to decide if I want to leave it bare or cover it with some other protective product or device. I'm leaning toward Armor Shield.

Again, if you can make it to their shop in Fort Meyers, I highly recommend you let Ugly Shield Removal work their magic on your film.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4493.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	177640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4547.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	177641  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4550.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	177642  
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for posting Randy!

I've talked to Wayne and he gave me some advise. I'd like him to do it on my 14 yr old 3m film, but Ft Meyers is a long way from SoCal. Mine looks cracked but it's not the film, it's the adhesive. I've kept a sealer on the film (Rejex) and I have have no mold under it. But I do have a few big rock dings that punched all he way thru the film. At 10 ft away it looks good except. Wayne said don't mess with it til it starts looking ugly.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote