Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-22-2006, 05:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I'll be siging papers next week for a new Journey or Meridan. I have three dealers I'm working with and the low price will win (maybe) based on the responses from this post. One is out of state (600 miles +) and two are within 30 miles of home. I've noticed that many, many buyers are taking their coaches back to the dealer they purchased from for warrenty and service. Many times traveling hundreds of miles.

Question is, is their an advantage to taking your coach back to the dealer or will (?) or can any authorized Winnabago service center handle your problems. What expierences have you had in this area.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'll be siging papers next week for a new Journey or Meridan. I have three dealers I'm working with and the low price will win (maybe) based on the responses from this post. One is out of state (600 miles +) and two are within 30 miles of home. I've noticed that many, many buyers are taking their coaches back to the dealer they purchased from for warrenty and service. Many times traveling hundreds of miles.

Question is, is their an advantage to taking your coach back to the dealer or will (?) or can any authorized Winnabago service center handle your problems. What expierences have you had in this area.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:16 AM   #3

Okay, here is the problem. The dealers are not obligated to service your coach if you did not purchase it from them. You may save $ by buying out of the area, but you take the risk of not getting the local dealers to take care of things for you. It is a real "sore" point with owners, but it's a fact of life. Winnebago will not make the dealers service you if you didn't buy it there. So you may want to weigh your options based on that. Do you want to drive 600 miles to have your coach worked on everytime??
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:27 AM   #4

There is a Winnebago dealer very near the city where we live, but we drive 2 hours (one way) to go to a dealer in another city that is better equiped to handle the various problems we have, and they are also a Workhorse Service Center so we can get the recalls done there in one visit.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'd ask Bob Gregory (co-owner of iRV2) for recommendations and advice in the Virgina Beach area.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

John C,
Thanks for reminding me of Bob. I spoke with him several months ago and one of the dealers is one he recommended.

jk
Old 09-22-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Jk, Bob can definetly tell you about the dealer in Va Beach and if the other one is on the Peninsula I can help you there. 600 miles is a far piece and you need to weigh the savings before making a decision..If You buy outta town as Glenda said service may not be available promptly in the local area...Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:48 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Just in case McGeorge RV is one of the dealers you are considering, I WOULD NOT BUY a glas of water from them if I was thirsty...

I have done business with Snyder's here locally and can even recommend another local independent service tech for you if you will contact me...
Snyder's sales department are the most "go getting" of the bunch,but you can at least get a fair price there...
High volume is not their forte...

(glenda1908 was the one that recommended the independent person to me and I use them for A LOT of stuff now,even with my Newmar coach).

Send me a PM or email me [email protected] and I'll be happy to get you up to speed...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

And, to my knowledge there are no other places besides a Winnebago dealer, and Winnebago itself to take your coach for warranty service.

(Some other manufacturers have deals with places like Coach Care, Winne does not.)

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:41 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Tim, in the case of vendor supplied items on your coach, such as Dometic,Norcold,HWH and so forth, there are indeed independent techs that are "authorized" to do warranty repairs.

The issue you may be referring to is something that is "specific" to Winnebago,such as cabinet door or other piece of furniture. Those items require that a Winnebago dealer address them.

I know of several Winnebago owners that use the same independent tech I use with the Newmar I own,as well as with the Vectra I owned in the past...
Old 09-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Good point. And there are certainly a lot of supplied parts that that is the case.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I have not been back to my selling dealer since I picked up the coach.

I've had warranty service done near Savannah at Bill Waits on I-95 and in Ocala at Suncoast RV. I was very well received at both dealerships and my problems were repaired to my satisfaction.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Does Winnebago have factory service centers like Monaco does? This might be another alternative for you if they do.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:01 AM   #14

Winnebago does not have factory service centers, which is something our club is trying to get Winnebago to address. The service centers are "dealers" and the "dealers" are in to selling RV's, so as stated previously, "If you didn't buy it from me...don't expect me to service it". The independent's service centers are able to do warrenty work on some of the workings of your coach, but not if it is a Winnebago manufactured item. We are fortunate to have a GREAT independent service center that can do just about everything, but Winnebago will not authorize him to do their warrenty work.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:05 AM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

Newmar is the same way,authorizing the independents to do everything but Newmar items...

So far I've only had vendor issues so it's been ok...
Old 09-25-2006, 12:13 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glenda1908:
"If you didn't buy it from me...don't expect me to service it". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been to 3 dealers for service and I've been well recevied by all.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:47 AM   #17

I'm glad you have had no problem having service done at other dealers. However, in our area it is a real problem getting service from a dealer you didn't buy from. You may be able to get in, but you are usually put on the bottom of their service list...ahead of the buyers. I completely understand that, but since RV dealers are few and far between in this area, we are at a disadvantage. We are trying to get Winnebago to address this problem by allowing trained service techs to do warrenty work. If these techs need to pass a test to be qualified then so be it. The guy we use here would have no problem doing that so he could do warrenty work on the coach itself, but so far it's a no go. I know the reason is the agreement that Winnebago has with the dealers regarding $$ for work done under warrenty, but this does not address the problem that we owners have getting service.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:01 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Sorry this is a little off topic but there are Winnebago dealers who won't put you on the back burner if you didn't buy from them.. We bought this coach in FL and Beckleys in Thurmont MD have done warranty work on it 3 times. For our slide we went upstate PA to Tim Schaeffers and were well received up there also. Mainly you need recommendations for the best qualified service. For our awning,micro, thermostat, we used an independent tec who was an authorized center. Just don't buy a coach with the factory REAL far away . We have been to Forest City 3 times and might consider something near like Tiffin and Newmar next time. Good Luck
Old 09-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

You don't have to go to a Winnebago dealer for some warranty work.

If the fridge needs work see any Norcold or Dometic dealer.

If the HWH jacks need service see any dealer that does HWH warranty repairs.

Etc, etc.

You can go to a Newmar, Fleetwood or even a travel trailer dealer for many items still under warranty.