Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

replace 19 : tube tv to 22" LCD or 26 will it fit

I have a 2003 Winnebago with a 19" tube tv and want to replace it with a LCD tv. I have read that some can fit a 26" in and some only a 22" They have good deals on them the 22" is 20.6" wide and 14.1" hight. The 26" is is 19" hight and 25.7 width. This TV is a Vizio with front speakers. I think I remember one man had to trim the two glass doors to fit a 26 ". If any one has done this and are happy with a 22 as your main tv or is it the extra work worth it to get the 26" to fit. Thanks PS Black Friday prices on the 22" is 198 dollars and the 26 is 268 dollars Wally World
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

IMHO the 26" is going to be much better than the 22" and would be worth the extra effort to put in, but I don't know about your personal situation as far as what model Winnebago you have. Check out other tvs too as there may be 26"ers that would fit easier than others. I would think front facing speakers on the tv would be important too.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

This is a bit off the true topic but I have a question. Where (physically) is the splitter that allows signal from the panel to the OUTSIDE TV panel? Darned if I can find it! This is for the Itasca U35 2002 version. Also the 2001 Adventurer U35 and perhaps others.

Help!!

And my thanks. Sorry for the off-topic disruption.

Dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct78barnes View Post
I have a 2003 Winnebago with a 19" tube tv and want to replace it with a LCD tv. I have read that some can fit a 26" in and some only a 22" They have good deals on them the 22" is 20.6" wide and 14.1" hight. The 26" is is 19" hight and 25.7 width. This TV is a Vizio with front speakers. I think I remember one man had to trim the two glass doors to fit a 26 ". If any one has done this and are happy with a 22 as your main tv or is it the extra work worth it to get the 26" to fit. Thanks PS Black Friday prices on the 22" is 198 dollars and the 26 is 268 dollars Wally World
Welcome to the forum! I have a completely different coach but have replaced the salon and bedroom tvs and beginning to work on the tv outside.

My advice is to go bigger rather than smaller and the only real way to select your new TV is to remove the old one, measure carefully and then select a new set with dimensions that work for your application. Rather than attempt to find a set which would fit inside the old opening, I chose to mount the new sets on the outside of the opening so I could go up to a 37" in the salon and 32" in the bedroom.

Good Luck,

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Welcome to the forum! I have a completely different coach but have replaced the salon and bedroom tvs and beginning to work on the tv outside.

My advice is to go bigger rather than smaller and the only real way to select your new TV is to remove the old one, measure carefully and then select a new set with dimensions that work for your application. Rather than attempt to find a set which would fit inside the old opening, I chose to mount the new sets on the outside of the opening so I could go up to a 37" in the salon and 32" in the bedroom.

Good Luck,

Rick
Rick O has good advice. Bigger is better. It's all about what fits in the opening, or just outside the opening w/o interfering with the cabinet doors.

Regarding the splitter to the outside TV, it's wired on the video selector on the 2nd TV. Splitter is probably in the body where the outdoor TV hookup is supplied.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I agree with RickO as well. When I replaced my front TV I measured between the doors over the driver and navigator and found one that just cleared. It is a 32" model with about 1/2" clearance on each side. Then I cut out the frame to allow the new TV to fit back in the openning as much as possible. It came out great and on our coach was not a "head knocker" even though it is sitting out a little from the original. By putting the TV in front of the cabinet you have no problems matching the wood work ar finishing out the fit.

The front facing speakers are really important as we have one flat screen with front facing and one with rear facing and the sound is not nearly as good with the rear facing.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 11-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I think technology might be helping when it comes to fitting a larger screen into a limited space too. On another post http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/whats...tvs-80034.html I've been trying to educate myself on the new LED/LCD sets. They are MUCH thinner than LCDs... prices seem to be comperable... the picture quality is said to be good... and they seem to be lighter than LCDs. There is some great info from members in the above thread if anyone's interested.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have a 96 Vectra with corner mounted front tv (over passenger area), I went with the 26" vizio tv. I used a swivel mount bolted to two aluminum angles bolted to the existing frame work. With the swivel mount I put the tv in front of the opening, I use two pieces of velcro strapping across the top and bottom to secure it while traveling. This opened up the tv space for storage and I just move the tv slightly to open the cabinet door next to it. The storage space was located by the cat and his is new home when stopped. He looks out the front window and is very happy there.
I also remove the tv when stored and take it home, thieves will only find a big hole there. No pictures at this time as the unit is in storage. Bigger is better because of the way some tv's box the picture.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I changed my rear TV to the LCD screen VIZIO last month and after just getting back from a three week trip the only fault I found with the set up is the speakers are very chin-see sounding no matter how I tried adjusting them.

I will get auxiliary speakers mounted for it over this winter.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We agonized over this too. You are obviously putting a lot of thought into your choice and you are recieving lots of good advice. We each have our own tastes and viewing habits. Maybe you could benefit from our experience in choosing a TV.

Go to your local box store, record the sizes (written on the carton) of the TVs you like and cut a template from cardboard. This was a good tool to use in our decision. We did change our thinking after we taped up a few pieces.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
...Go to your local box store, record the sizes (written on the carton) of the TVs you like and cut a template from cardboard. This was a good tool to use in our decision. We did change our thinking after we taped up a few pieces.
That's exactly what we did. By having actual cut outs of the tv screen sizes, we found we preferred (& could fit) a size up on both front & bedroom TV's than we originally thought. Now I'm just waiting on a great sale to make the purchases.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
This is a bit off the true topic but I have a question. Where (physically) is the splitter that allows signal from the panel to the OUTSIDE TV panel? Darned if I can find it! This is for the Itasca U35 2002 version. Also the 2001 Adventurer U35 and perhaps others.

Help!!

Dean

Not the same model, but probably the same engineer put it behind my bedroom TV.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

This may be another thread sidetrack, but I am in the process of changing the front 25" GE boat anchor for a 32" Vizio LCD. The GE had a speaker output that was monaural connected to an amplifier shared with the radio. I am not too sure how the stereo radio functions in this setup? The real question is how to connect the stereo output of the new TV to the amp so as to get sound (hopefully stereo) at the rear speakers above the dinette and sofa. Anyone know of a stereo amp that could be used to make this work.

BTW I am also replacing the rear 19" with a Vizio 22" as soon as I get the front ironed out. Paid $200 for a 1080p WiFi equipped HD LED LCD at Costco. I think that was a great deal.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #14

RoadKing,

There should be a 3.5mm audio output on the Visio TV. Connect a 3.5mm male which will also have the White/Red RCA audio jacks (male) to this output. Then take the White/Red RCA jacks to the audio amp input.
If you want surround sound, you can use any system to accomplish the same thing. I just purchased a Samsung 5.1 with speakers, BlueRay DVD and wifi for $299.00 at Best Buy.

This is a pic of the cable sowing the single 3.5mm stereo male (TV end-Audio Out) and 2 RCA males (Stereo-Audio in)
Attached Images

dukenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Dukenrock,
Thanks for that information. The real issue is that while the output from the Vizio 3.5mm plug is stereo, the box the original TV was connected to has only two conductors (not stereo, Mono). It also has 12v fed to it, so I assume it is a powered amp. I am thinking the front speakers on the Vizio may be adequate without running audio to other speakers through out the coach. We'll see.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I replaced the original, huge, grey monster in our Voyage with a 32". It fits on the outside of the frame, and with the $30 Winegard HD device on the antenae, it works great.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post

Help!!

Dean
I found mine in the column behind the one-place panel in the hallwat.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking52 View Post
This may be another thread sidetrack, but I am in the process of changing the front 25" GE boat anchor for a 32" Vizio LCD. The GE had a speaker output that was monaural connected to an amplifier shared with the radio. I am not too sure how the stereo radio functions in this setup? The real question is how to connect the stereo output of the new TV to the amp so as to get sound (hopefully stereo) at the rear speakers above the dinette and sofa. Anyone know of a stereo amp that could be used to make this work.

BTW I am also replacing the rear 19" with a Vizio 22" as soon as I get the front ironed out. Paid $200 for a 1080p WiFi equipped HD LED LCD at Costco. I think that was a great deal.
what does a WiFi equiped tv do?
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Wi fi TV will pick up Nexflex off the campgrounds internet or if you have it in your coach. You pay 9 bucks a month and can go on line and pick out all the movies you want. They will be in what they call a Que or list and you can watch all the movies and tv shows you want as long as you have wireless in the campground or coach. I have it at home through my blue ray player and it works nice. I also have the dvds delivered to my home they are the newest releases . But if you are on the road they have a plan for just down loading the movies. Hope this helps . Thanks for all the help I will be getting the Vizio 26 tv for the front tv.
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:19 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Splitter for bedroom and outside TV

In my 2008 Adventurer 35A the splitter is mounted in the wall behind the panel with the tank monitor and thermostat.

South Carolina
Scott and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote