Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I often mumble to myself when folks (LOTS of them) don't post back re resolution of a problem. SOooo, I'm posting back with my repair to close out this thread. That way it will be archived in case it will help someone in the future decide on their repair approach.

I am not real "swift" on posting pics..........can't seem to make them appear within the document, proper; they always show up at the end. Hopefully you can click on them to enlarge, but if they end up being thumbnails ..........maybe not.

After I drilled the heads off the pop rivets (and removed the spacer/shim) I "extracted" the rivets (and "buggered up" the filon door face sheet in the process) so I bonded a mending plate (that I made from a square electrical box cover [from HD] ) to the face sheet of the door. When I next repair one of these latches I will attempt to drill the rivets out as is usually done (and Mich F suggested) but I don't believe it will work real well, as there is no cavity for the old rivets to "fall into" ......... it is solid foam back there behind the face sheet. I bonded the plate with Plexus epoxy (a "pricey" favorite at the WGO repair facility in Forest Bend) but any brand of "Epoxy for Plastic" would work as well, I believe. The plate is also mechanically attached with "peel-type" pop rivets similar to those Winnebago used as OEM (Winnebago installed them thru the switch body mounting holes and a clearance-drilled spacer and then into the filon face sheet.) These peel-type rivets are a lot like the rivets shown on the dwg that cbeirl posted. This type of fastener provides a larger load-bearing area on the backside of the very thin filon face sheet. I got my rivets at rivetsinstock.com ..... I'm including a (backside) pic of one that I experimented with.

I attached the new latch assy to the installed mending plate with sheet metal screws so I can replace it easier the next time the plunger breaks. That way I have the option of just replacing the plunger as tizzzel suggested. BTW- There are plungers machined from an aluminum billet available online...at reasonable prices.....might be a good option, dunno.

The PO of my coach told me that Winnebago advised him that these latches are the "slam" type and to just let the door fall from about 1/2 way open..........so that is what I have been doing to date. Going fwd, I plan to ease them into the latched position with a knee or my thumbs....hoping for a longer "mean time between failures".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compl Latch Install'n.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	177739   Click image for larger version

Name:	OEM Rivet..jpg
Views:	48
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	177740  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Peel Rivet Blindside copy.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	177741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rivets Removed .jpg
Views:	46
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	177742  

youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
ace, door, replace