Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 11:22 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Replace cargo bay door latch

I need to replace the latch shown below and would like any tips from those who have done that job ...... or something like it. (The broken/missing slide plunger [that used to be visible on the right] was plastic, so I'd wager a LOT of guys have run into this.)

At first glance, I thought I was going to drill out pop rivets, but on inspection I see the latch is attached to its mounting plate with machine screws .... with some kind of special low-profile nuts. It appears that the mounting plate was then bonded to the inner face of the door.

SOooo, what is the best way to de-bond that mounting plate? I'm thinking a heat gun and a putty knife + a lot of patience. Maybe heat the plate and heat the blade of the putty knife as well?

Hmmm, I guess maybe with a gazillion slams from 3 owners over a 10 year period isn't such bad service at that...........but I don't think I am gonna enjoy this repair much.

TIA........ ed s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cargo door latch copy.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	173143  

youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Those look like pop-rivets to me.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #3

Can you just replace the plunger and leave the housing alone .
Old 08-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #4

Have you tried "E-Z-Out" drill bits ... (a left handed drill bit) to remove the screws...

They used to have them at Home Depot and Ace hardware

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #5

A call or email to Winnebago Customer Service might get you the information you need to replace the unit. I've found them to be very helpful in situations like this.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Just an update-

Got the new parts from WGO today (2 latch assys) and called the tech line.....but not a lot of help there (unusual....they are usually very knowledgeable.)

I have added some annotation to my original (iphone) photo..... I am reposting it below. BTW- Click on the image to enlarge..... either once or twice (Mac.....I dunno)

Another photo (2nd one?) shows machine screw threads clearly sticking out of a threaded (aluminum I believe) bushing in the currently installed latch.

A third photo shows one of the mounting holes in the new latch assy.....with no threaded bushing pressed in ...... just a hole. Hmmmm

Looks like I have to remove the mounting plate somehow and then hope there are 4 flat head screws that I can remove to release the assy from the mounting plate (called a spacer in the parts list). Probably the heads are full of Plexus or other bonding agent, knowing my luck.

I envision punching out those threaded aluminum bushings and pressing them into the new latch assy and then install new screws and re-bond the thing to the door face. Backup plan: Just thru-drill the thing and thru bolt it with a SS pan-head "torx" type fastener that won't look to lousy from the outside (with a little touch up paint.)

I may get all kinds of surprises......but I will post back when I am done. For now I at least have one latch holding the door locked (sorta) so this job can wait a while.

Thanks all..............................
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Latch.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	173233  
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Those look like pop-rivets to me.

Just drill them out and install new rivets. No need to remove that spacer. That's there so the latch will clear the door frame/molding. No need to drill all the way through the door.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #8

Why can't you remove the plunger from the new latch assembly and install it in the old housing so you don't have to worry about those special low profile nuts and special bonding glue ?
Old 08-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Since you said you are going to wait a while before you do the repair, you might email WBGO with your question (s). Sometimes due to the summer crush of RVing the phonez can get backed up, meaning a long hold, much less provide a detailed answer quickly.
I have received spot on answers, including specific diagrams as attachments, going thru email route. Usually answered on second day. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe it's a pop-rivet like this:

Old 08-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In any case, I would drill out the current fasteners and use pop-rivets for the new one.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzel View Post
Can you just replace the plunger and leave the housing alone .

tizzel- The way the latch is made, the only way one could just replace the plunger is to take the top off.....it won't come out the end, unfortunately. In the pic below, you can see that the body is like a bent up "hat section" (pretty heavy guage sheet metal too) and the end is closed off by bending the sides in 90 degrees. No way to straighten that out. This is one sturdy latch, for sure. One could take the top off by removing the assembly rivets installed by the latch mfr..............but then there are the fasteners WGO installed too and they are actually the crux of the matter. GRRRRRR

BTW- all the guys were right. What I thought were screw threads were really just tool marks from the pop rivet tool! Old eyes, I reckon.

I got the latch off today and I plan to write an update this eventing. I have some work to do as I "buggered up" the filon (at the attachment points) getting the "back half" of the pop rivets out.

Safe travels............. ed s
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hat Section.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	173327  
Old 08-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #13

The next time you have to replace a latch, use the right size drill bit, and the "back half" of the rivet will just fall away from the hole. There's no need to get them out. Just install your new rivets.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I removed the end of the pop rivets there at the latch today and removed the latch. I then found that the rivet bodies did not want to move much ...... they were kind of locked up in the foam in the door. (The storage bay doors, of course are really a filon "sandwich" with foam in the middle.) And the filon is mighty thin.

I decided since I wouldn't really be able to get the "blind" part of the rivet out of the way to install new ones, I would just try to pull the rivets out and hope for the best........... didn't happen. Pretty well clobbered and cracked the filon face in the immediate area of the rivet hole. SOooo, I will end up with a new spacer which will actually be a much larger "mending plate" bonded (and probably pop riveted) to the face of the door....to which I will attach the new latch.

It appears the pop rivets used were the "open" type. Makes sense as the load was spread over a larger area than regular closed end pop rivets would have provided. Just for grins, I've included a pic of the "blind end" of the rivets which I clumsily yanked out like wisdom teeth. If I pop rivet my new (larger) mending plate/spacer as planned (plus bond it) I think I will order some of those open rivets. The rivets must just "scrunch up" the foam filler in the door and it seems to have worked fine for a long, long time.

I'll get there, in any event.

Thanks guys..............ed s
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spacer Plate.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	173348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blind Side.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	173355