RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #15

Ok thanks, mines a 2002 journey and took a dump so I'll probably be better off just replacing it with a new one.

819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2018, 07:41 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
RVP 6537 again

First, yes the 6535 is directly replaced with the 46515. Only difference is that outlet duct is shifted about 3.5-4". Should be an easy fix.

As for the 6537, talk about being between a rock and a hard place!! There is actually nothing out there that will replace it and spare parts are like hens teeth.

With all the 6537's around, I am curious if anyone has considered a 110 V home mini split (or two)?? Would it survive the rigors of the shake, rattle and roll??

Personally I am at the point where I might consider a $3000:- gamble.
Buy a 46515 and evacuate it. Get some sheet metal work done, adding an extension on top. Relocate the Evaporator Coil to the extension and recharge the system.
This is a somewhat oversimplified description, but I am confident it can be done. All the work can be done outside the RV and dimensionally it would be a direct replacement for the 6537. Any warranty would of course go out the window.
My biggest concern is serviceability after the modification. Reaching the Indoor Fan might be a problem and access from the end might have to be added. Any thought will be appreciated.

Nalle

Nalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:06 AM   #17

My unit was failing as well

If the compressors are still good, most of all the other parts are availible. I replaced motors, berings, compacitors. Cleaned up the rest, bench tested and it has been working fine.

But some this unit come in different sizes so check the dimensions before laying out a bunch of $$.
Also these units have two 110 volt compressors and some replacements come as a 240 volt unit.

RAB

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
RVP 6537 issues

If I could find replacement compressors and reversing valves I could probably just rebuild. Anyone out there with the Panasonic or Tecumseh part numbers??
The RVP numbers do not help - brings nothing on a search.

I had the unit out about five years ago and replaced the outside blower motor and a pile of capacitors. It has been running fine since. Now it is very noisy and I would just like to have new stuff in there. I believe in preventive maintenance - fix or replace before it breaks - don't want to ruin a perfectly good fishing week with a bum heat pump.

I am in contact with RVP about my idea to modify a 46515. Main concern now is condensation from the Evaporator coil. Don't want it raining on the inside motor. Pretty much everything else has been solved.

Nalle
Old 03-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalle View Post
If I could find replacement compressors and reversing valves I could probably just rebuild. Anyone out there with the Panasonic or Tecumseh part numbers??
The RVP numbers do not help - brings nothing on a search.

I had the unit out about five years ago and replaced the outside blower motor and a pile of capacitors. It has been running fine since. Now it is very noisy and I would just like to have new stuff in there. I believe in preventive maintenance - fix or replace before it breaks - don't want to ruin a perfectly good fishing week with a bum heat pump.

I am in contact with RVP about my idea to modify a 46515. Main concern now is condensation from the Evaporator coil. Don't want it raining on the inside motor. Pretty much everything else has been solved.

Nalle
There's a lot of us with 6537s out there--looking forward to seeing what possible solutions you come up with!

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:07 AM   #20

I like the idle of referbing the older basement air.
Does anyone have input on what all the major parts
that are available would cost, verses a new basement
air? .....coopcolt
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Sorry, this should work: two-ton-he-install-instructions 46515 Series

The original link was supposed to bypass the need to select 'Download'--it worked when I posted it (for me, at any rate) but doesn't any more.
That works Thanks!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Nalle- had the both fan motors and capacitors replaced on my 6537 this summer.
You refer to your unit being too noisy. Are the compressors noisy, or is it higher pitched like from the fan motor shaft bearing/squirrel cage?
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #23

6537 parts

I posted my last reply on the road and did not have access to my doc's.

I will take a look at my file and post where some of the parts are available.

I ended up using a local air conditioning parts shop to order the parts.

When I had my unit checked out by tech who had serviced my home ac, he stated that this type of ac unit he can work on as it was used as a apartment ac unit with 110 volt per compressor rv change.

RAB

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Old 03-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #24

Parts

I found parts at ARV PARTS, I am trying to upload the parts list.

Coleman says the compressor part # had changed from 1450-22297 to 1450-2149.

RAB
Attached Files
File Type: pdf coleman_mach_6535-671_parts.pdf (666.8 KB, 30 views)

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Old 03-13-2018, 06:43 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Rvp 6537

Hi All,

Lots of good feedback from everyone...

As far as the cost of rebuild vs. a new unit, I guess it will be close to the same. I can see advantages with both approaches. If compressors and reversing valves are available and the coils are good, I would probably prefer a rebuild. One advantage with a new unit is getting away from R-22 that is getting expensive and scarce

I am currently on hold here, waiting for a reply from RVP - both on the 46515 conversion and Manufacturers Part Numbers on the compressors. Found Panasonic on line and they do have 1 ton - 110 V compressors. Question is if they will work here.

I had hoped to get this project done before heading out for the summer. However, departure date is fast approaching and I will have to keep my fingers crossed and hope that the old 6537 will last until we return in October.

I'll continue to pester RVP and will keep you posted on any progress.

Nalle
Old 03-11-2019, 11:51 PM   #26

So Nalle, its been about a year now since your last post, what did you end up doing? We are also wondering about replacing our 6537 with a 46515 and a little creative ductwork. Did you give it a go or just repair the 6537?
cmwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:55 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Rvp 6537

I hate to tell you, but I am still running the old 6537. All attempts to modify other units have failed due to space limitations.
Most parts are available for the 6537 and if I can find someone to help with the rebuild, that's the way I will go. I could do most of the work myself, but need help to evacuate the old system and then recharge and test when rebuilt.
This past year an overheating engine became the main problem and the priority. As usual, there is no limit to the fixes needed on a 15 year old RV.

Nalle
Old 03-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalle View Post
I hate to tell you, but I am still running the old 6537. All attempts to modify other units have failed due to space limitations.
Most parts are available for the 6537 and if I can find someone to help with the rebuild, that's the way I will go. I could do most of the work myself, but need help to evacuate the old system and then recharge and test when rebuilt.
This past year an overheating engine became the main problem and the priority. As usual, there is no limit to the fixes needed on a 15 year old RV.

Nalle
Curious where you are in Canada. I am from there and can recommend an excellent Tech in Medicine Hat, Alberta. After numerous attempts at various shops in Canada and the US I came across this fellow.. Done Right RV - Gord... Tell him Pete recommended him.. He will do you rite.

Tags
heat, heat pump