Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #15

eBay? What is that? Never heard of it.

[emoji3]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
I don’t need to replace my pump, just the mattress. Do I need to take my bed completely apart? If not, how far do I have to tear it down?

As far as having either a single or dual control, we have just 1 remote control and it is wireless.

If I find that I do not have those 2 plastic caps, & all of the air comes out, no harm to the mattress, right?

Just re-inflate when finished?

Sleep Number support number is 888-411-2188 They have been great to deal with on my part.

Any chance you still have those pictures?

The guy that I talked with at the Sleep Number store did not sound too friendly.

I’m not sure what MY bed is labeled as. The sticker at the foot says “Vantage Point”.

My question was meant to ask if you had a left and right air chamber or just 1? If you have dual bed chambers you will only need to replace the side that is leaking. I have no experience with the single mattress. All my experience has been with the dual air chambers. Sleep Number's support number is 888-411-2188. Call them and they can help answer your questions. They were great for me to work with.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #17

My bed has a left & right air chamber.

However, I don’t think that we have an air leak. The unlevelness is not the entire side of the bed. It’s as if 1 single, odd-shaped body laid down on the bed, at a weird angle. The majority of one side is really out of shape, & about half of the other side is out of shape.

I took a few pictures of the bed, but you really can’t see what I am referring to in the pictures.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #18

Quote:
But, can you buy just the mattress?
If you mean the air chamber, yes, I believe you can. The price he quoted you of $1700 is for a whole new mattress, not just the air chambers.

You do have to unzip the top, pull back that and the layer of foam underneath if there is one. There are your air chambers. Just disconnect the air hose and take them out. It is ok to totally deflate them.

You may find the problem while you're in there. A piece of side foam could have fallen under and made it lumpy.
happy cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #19

Replacing Sleep Number Bed Parts

I now feel kinda foolish.
I found the problem. After unzipping the mattress cover, & removing the different parts, I realized that the problem wasn’t with the Sleep Number bed after all.

The structure underneath, that supports the bed, has wood that runs alongside of the structure to give it support. These wood pieces are STAPLED to the structure. Apparently, as they began to come loose, the PO did a crappy “rig” job to correct the problem.

I am now on my way to the local Home Depot to get some hardware to REALLY fix the problem.

I’ll keep y’all updated.

(I’m glad that I found the problem. The DW was using this issue to get me to install a more traditional bed. The SN bed, to me, was just 1 of many selling points of this motor home.)
Old 06-19-2018, 06:57 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Moxxi;

Thanks for posting your update . I am happy for you that you found your problem. You saved a bunch of money also. Now that you see how the bed is put together you will not be afraid to work on it again if needed.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 06-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #21

My phone will not let me post any pictures. I will have to use my laptop to send them.

I will post “before” & “after” photos later tonight when the job is done.

BTW, the DW is excited that we will not have to spend a lot of money to make the fix. She’s so excited, she gave me the go ahead to order a new mattress cover. Before she changed her mind, I called SN customer service, & placed that order.

In DW’s own words, we have no idea as to WHO slept on the bed before us.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:17 AM   #22

Quote:
I now feel kinda foolish.
I found the problem. After unzipping the mattress cover, & removing the different parts, I realized that the problem wasn’t with the Sleep Number bed after all.

The structure underneath, that supports the bed, has wood that runs alongside of the structure to give it support. These wood pieces are STAPLED to the structure. Apparently, as they began to come loose, the PO did a crappy “rig” job to correct the problem.

I am now on my way to the local Home Depot to get some hardware to REALLY fix the problem.

I’ll keep y’all updated.

(I’m glad that I found the problem. The DW was using this issue to get me to install a more traditional bed. The SN bed, to me, was just 1 of many selling points of this motor home.)
Well, the problem was temporarily fixed. That structure is coming apart again. The DW wants to get a traditional mattress, & I want to keep the SN mattress. So, to be able to keep this mattress, I need to find out where to purchase the tilting part that goes under the mattress.

I called WinnebagoParts.com, & they were no help.

Any idea as to where I can locate this part? It is directly under the mattress.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:20 AM   #23

Until I can find this part, I will probably place a sheet of plywood between the mattress & it to keep the bed from sagging.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:12 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
For future reference - sleep number beds are not just a mattress. They are made of an outside cube (mattress shaped), in which is a series of foam pads and air chambers. You may or may not also have mattress pads that are within the cube - like a gel pad or egg crate pad. Most times it is a single component that needs to be replaced, not the entire mattress system.

We have a SN at home and got one for the MH last year. It was fairly easy to assemble. We did have a problem with the original pump, which SN helped us trouble shoot over the phone. They were VERY helpful and shipped the new pump to us overnight so that we would not be inconvenienced any longer than needed.
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:24 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Moxxi;

When I replaced my SN air pump I also noticed some loose structure under the bed. I strengthened the base and so far it is worked well. If your bed came from WGO with a SN bed I believe they manufactured the bed frame to accommodate the SN mattress. It would not have a part number.

You may have to rebuild the base the mattress lays on. On mine I had to remove the struts holding the bed platform. I than took out the screws that held the sheet of plywood to the frame structure and slid the plywood back which gave me room to install the new pump under the radio by the bed. That was when I found the week structure. WGO tries to hold down weight and material costs and sometimes it causes problems for us down the road. For what it is worth my DW and I both appreciate the SN bed and neither of us wanted to give up on it. That is why we installed a new pump and wireless controls. Good luck with your project and keep us posted on how everything works out for you.

Don
Old 07-31-2018, 10:35 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Sleep number matress replecement

First: A standard Queen is 60" wide by 80" Long.
The bed can be disassembled very easily.
Let the pressure on both sides down to about 20. Next unzip the cover all the way around and remove. A large foam pad will be covering the total surface. How thick it is will depend on the model of the bed. Around the perimeter you will see long pieces of foam (1 each top and bottom and 1 each left and right) and one in the middle. The air chambers are in the middle of the foam pieces If all pieces look in good condition, carefully reassemble. The most likely piece to replace would be the large foam pad. This can be purchased at many stores. I would suggest a 3 inch memory form pad. Will cost less than $100
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #27

First, here are the dimensions for RV mattresses.

RV Mattress Sizes
Bed Size Bed Measurement
Standard Queen 60" x 80"
Short Queen 60" x 75"
RV King 72" x 80"
RV Short King 72" x 75"

Secondly, We had a very difficult time trying to buy components for my Sleep Number bed, since I was not the original purchaser. I needed a bladder and an outer cover. We wound up purchasing a new Short Queen from Personal Comfort, a direct competitor to Sleep Number. It WAS NOT CHEAP, but it's the best sleep I have had in years. Closest thing to our water bed, which I love, without water.

Lastly, if you are going to access the pump, under the head of the bed, I found that if I removed two of the screws from the access panel, and put them through the plywood bed platform, into the bed frame, at the foot of the bed, one near each corner, the bed would still be aligned when trying to re-secure the access panel. The first time I opened the access panel I didn't do this, and the gas pistons that hold the bed up when accessing the under bed storage, pushed the bed platform towards the foot of the bed enough that I couldn't get the access panel in it's proper place. Wound up disconnecting the pistons in order to properly position the bed platform/access panel. Just remember to remove the two added screws afterwards. It's embarrassing to try to raise the bed if you don't! LOL!
Steve-n-Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #28

let the air out

Do not forget to let the air out when you travel at a high altitude like to Flagstaff. They do not blow but you will get pin holes.
JGrosman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts