Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacing the Tv in my motor home

The unit is a 2008 Winnebago Vista with a RCA brand picture tube style of tv. Removing it will not be a problem for me. What I want to know from the forum is what brand of flat panel tv has worked out for you. I know the Jensen tv are made for the RV market but they seem to be very high in price for the size. I'm going to make a mount that will allow the tv to be removed from it's mount while traveling.
Bbspinstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have wondered about that myself. I think the Samsung TVs are the best picture, but will a regular LED hold up in an RV?
I would think vibration might be a factor.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

My 32" samsung LED tv has travelled many thousand of miles mounted up on the front -it has excellent picture and fair sound
FWIW Don
Don/Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
JC2
Winnie-Wise

If my memory is correct, most people have used the Visio brand in the front an back to replace the OEM boat anchors.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #5

Not impressed with Visio

I put a 37" LG LED in the front and a 26" Visio LED in the back.

The picture on the LG is WAY better than the Visio. I think Samsung & LG use the same screens.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

LED / LCD which type of TV holds up better..what is the best set up for an aftermarket
TV replacement... Do I make it removable/mount it in rubber... Trust me I need help.......... might need a helmet if my wife can't watch her Judge Judy or Home Shopping.................. I need to move fast on this project so helpful hints might save me some time not to mention keeping me from being a speed bump or a human penyata .

Dave
Mich
53Stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

E320VT - LED LCD HDTVs | VIZIO

tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

We only buy Samsung's (6 so far), the only one we've had a "problem" with was the one I knocked over and it skidded out the door of the MH. I thought I had it located in a good spot while installing it, but it wasn't!! It still works even with the gouge in the screen. Most are LED's except the one I knocked over and it's an LCD.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for your replacement TV suggestions. I have decided to go with a JVC brand LCD 32 Class model JLC32BC3002. I found it at Costco for $274.99. Also I found a mount that will allow easy removal of the TV while we are on the road. The brand of the mount is Simplicity Universal Large TV wall mount model SXDP5-B1 at Costco for $88.99

Thanks again,
Bbspinstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We bought the dynex 32". I have been searching for install ideas for weeks, and the previous post on you tube looks like an easy and secure install. Anyone else have any video's on installs?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #11

On the other Winnebago forum at RVForum.net, there is a sticky thread where us members there have removed the boat anchors and installed LCD/LED TV's in our Winnebago motorhomes. I just finished replacing the Sony CRT front TV with a 32" Vizio LCD tv, and included pictures of the install on that thread. I didn't use any type of articulating mount as I wanted my TV to fit FLUSH against my front facia without rattling or moving, so I mounted the TV directly on a piece of plywood and some metal that I bought at Lowes. Pictures are on the thread below.

You must be a member to view the pictures, otherwise "guests" can only read the text. Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I will always recommend Samsung. It's also one of the top Consumer Report's picks on a regular basis. Both my RV TVs are Samsung. 2 of three in the house are as well.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #13

I liked the picture on the 32" Samsung LED I saw at Costo, but the speakers are horrible and face backwards. Also, it was $100 more than the comparable Vizio.

I was interested in:

1. A fairly inexpensive TV,
2. Front firing speakers,
3. Variable audio output as I also use my Sony surround sound.

Vizio fit all those requirements for me as you can see by my pictures in the thread posted above.
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I installed a 32" Sony and it has performed very well. I'm sure you will get many responses as to who thinks what is best. If it works for you it is no doubt the best.
captgadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #15

Please read this link.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/tv-r...ml#post1172462
WH347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I installed two Sanyos in my 06 Allegro Bay and they work great.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
We bought the dynex 32". I have been searching for install ideas for weeks, and the previous post on you tube looks like an easy and secure install. Anyone else have any video's on installs?
You can see pictures of the 32 inch TV installation in my Sightseer HERE.

You can remove the oak frame around the TV by prying out the wood plugs (6 of them I think) and taking the Phillips head screws out.The TV is held in place by a strap arrangement. There are two nuts that must be removed to disassemble the strap. Not much access room so it took a while to unscrew the nuts - one on each side.
The TV weighs about 55 pounds so it might be good to have two people to take it out but I did it alone.

Winnebago uses a steel cage in the cabin area made of rectangular steel tubing. The steel framework for the overhead cabinet is attached to it.

I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.

The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.
I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, BlueRay DVD player, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax, and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.

A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back to protect the TV face.They (the pictures) aren't real good but they make help you get started and know what is behind the existing TV.
You can watch the TV fine with the hold downs in place so I don't remove them until we are stopped for a while and want access to the storage area.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

MH TV replacement

I replaced my bedroom tv for a Sansum 26" build in march 2012, and was the best choice I ever made, works great and nice to watch Jud Jury, and I do plan to replace the front one with the Sansum 32 is very ligth, and relief the MH front some weight,

Dinkie
dinkie0720 is offline   Reply With Quote