Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Residential Refrigerator

I am going to order a new Adventurer motorhome and considering the option of a residential refrigerator(Whirlpool 2 door). I know new refrigerators run a lot so am concerned about noise in the same room as watching TV or reading a book or sleeping not too far away. Appreciate any comments on residential refrigerator noise in newer RV's
smith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
I am going to order a new Adventurer motorhome and considering the option of a residential refrigerator(Whirlpool 2 door). I know new refrigerators run a lot so am concerned about noise in the same room as watching TV or reading a book or sleeping not too far away. Appreciate any comments on residential refrigerator noise in newer RV's
Our MADP is not new but the Samsung fridge is. It is much quieter than the one in our house. When it goes out, I will probably replace it with a bigger version of the RF18.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

We purchased a new RV this past year with a Residential Refrigerator and is working out very well. In fact it is the high point for the wife and visitors. I did not even think of the noise issue until your post. It may be an issue with different manufactures, but one should be able to listen to a model prior to ordering.
The issue I was most concerned with is the battery bank capacity to effectively run the unit during dry camping. In our case we have 3 (4D) batteries for the coach alone. The RV also has an 8KW auto-start Generator. With this combination, and without other power being used the Refrigerator will draw the batteries down to Gen. auto-start in about 24 hours.
Hope this helps...Bob
rmbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We can hear our Whirlpool ED2FHEXVS (side-by-side with water and ice dispensed in the door), but it is very subtle. We don't even notice it is running unless we are right next to the fridge. It's just white noise. HOWEVER, it makes quite a racket each time that it dumps ice in the bin! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

PS. The fridge stays cool for a long time (unless you open the doors). We turn ours off when we are boondocking and going to be out of the coach for the afternoon. Our motivation is battery preservation and not noise control, but this solution would work for you, too.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We love having our Maytag French door 22CF. Will never go back to a No-Cold. Never really thought about any noise until this question was asked. Our makes very little except when the ice dumps, but rarely notice ice dumping anymore. Like what was already stated, a fridge will stay cool for many hours after shut down, if doors are not being opened. We are trying to make an Alaska trip this summer and planning many boondocking nights. I have no concerns about draining the batteries. If they need charging that is one of the reasons for having my generator. I see people saying they have to run generator(not in this thread), as if that is a big problem. That's why I spent all the thousands of dollars to have it, so I could use my coach anyway I want. If you attend any of the big rallies everyone is using generators. Using the generator is better for it than not using it. My long winded way of saying do not worry about draining batteries. Do recommend you get as many batteries as you have room for. Some have 3-4 coach batteries, I have 6, and some have 8 or more.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Our Whirlpool res frige is very quiet and it's fairly close to the bedroom. I actually have to walk up next to it to see if its on. It's a two door, freezer on the bottom, frige one door on top. Temp gauge's are accurate. My only wish was that you could switch over to gas when boondocking, but we have solar to offset that.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have Whirlpool 2 door residential in our Solei 34T, never really thought about the noise until you mentioned it. it is a much better choice compared to the rv type fridge, it cools down a lot quicker and certainly is better looking. you will love it.
EdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

X2 on EdMan's recommendation, we have the same unit. It has the best ice maker of any fridge we've ever had (RV or home!).
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
The new compressor technology is so very quiet. We are hardly aware of our Maytag French Door model. Once in a while we hear the water run to fill the ice trays. We have very happy with the residential style refrigerator. The other advantage is that they do not draw much power. If we don't have to use the heavy draw appliances much, toaster, microwave, coffee maker..., the house battery will not need recharging very often. Maybe once in 12+ hrs on my rig. We now have LED lighting which helps the battery bank. Your new rig may come with them as standard or option. And the room you gain in the residential frig is another great advantage. Another plus is the lack of recalls. I don't know of any recalls on the residential refrigerators. There are many recalls for the standard RV frig and many rigs have been lost to fire because of the frig failing and going to flames.

Happy trails.

Rick Y
Old 02-11-2015, 07:04 AM   #11

Unlike what some Samsung Fridge owners have experienced our residential RF-197 fridge that has been installed since April 2012 is very quiet. The only time I hear any peeps out of the thing is when the defrost cycle is running I hear a few clicks similar to when metal is heating up plus it has to be extremely quiet to hear that.

I seldom know that it is running at all. The compressor makes NO noise whatsoever.

The only time I really hear the fridge is when the ice cube tray is dumping freshly frozen ice cubes.

The advantages of having a residential fridge in a RV versus the old NotSoCold absorption fridge is 1000 times better. Our food is always at a constant temperature of 36-38 degrees F and the frozen food is ALWAYS frozen instead of partially frozen.

I was throwing out hundreds of dollars of spoiled food every year with the NotSOCold. I have saved that and more so the fridge has paid for itself in no time.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

No worries! I have to listen very closely to tell that our Whirlpool is running ...while I could much easier hear the Norcold it replaced. I believe it pulls 3-4 amps normally.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

We installed the rf197 last year - no only thing I hear now and then is the ice maker dropping ice in the bucket - I would never do back to no-cold
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Cannot tell the residential fridge in our bus is even on unless ice drops into the bucket from the auto ice maker. you should be just fine
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

3-4 Amos is exactly right and only when compressor is running. Very little compressor noise in our 38q with a Kitchen Aid residential. We aren't very avid boondockers so can't comment on that except to say 3-4 amp draw when running. The 38Q has a 100 watt solar panel to help with battery drain. Also, the 2000 watt inverter, powers the fridge while traveling and charging with engine alternator. We think it was a good choice. Never liked the absorption fridges from Norcold and dometic.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator