Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Restringing day/night shades

I have a question about the day/night shades in our Adventurer. I have a small one in the bedroom that has broken and I'm going to restring it myself. I have looked at videos and written instructions from several sources and all install only one string. While looking over mine I noticed that all of them have a double string installed. My question is are double strings necessary or is one supposed to be for a spare? Could someone with a similar coach check theirs?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The double strings are for day/night shades. 1 string is for the day shade and the other for the night shade. You should have 4 strings, 2 on each side.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I bought my day/night shade repair kit from my local RV dealer. The kit was distributed by the Dirty Blind Man. Here is a link to his web site.

RV BLIND & SHADE

The repair kit comes with a computer disk containing instructions. Often the reason strings break is because the plastic string guides wear out. This kit has replacement nylon guides.

It wasn't too difficult to repair. I printed out the instructions I needed for my shade and had them handy. It took me about an hour but the next one will be quicker.

Safe Travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I have restrung the small shades on a few of my coaches with one cord in each never had any problem. Actually they worked smoother with one cord just make sure the plastic grommets are inserted in the correct direction. In my opinion they used 2 cords in each for strength. There is one hole in each end just follow the diagrams the small shades are much easier to do than the larger 4 hole livingroom shades. Try FIX MY BLINDS.COM
Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

When I restrung our small shades which had double strings I, too, only used one string and have had no problems since. The original double string was just looped through the end of the spring and both ends were even at the end. When using the single string I made sure I knotted it several times to the spring, but was also careful that the knot was not too big so it would still fit easily in the channel.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Our coach has four windows that have day-night shades ... three of them are wider than they are tall (these have four "single" strings) ... one window is much taller than it is wide (this has two "double" strings)
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I bought my coach two months ago used. Some of the day/night shades had broken cords. I just finished taking them to a local repairman who re-strung them for $50.00 per shade, which I felt was reasonable. I've always felt, do the things you're good at and that you feel comfortable with...leave the rest to someone who knows how to do it.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I restring my own day night pleated blinds by using a single string. I use 130 lb. test dacron fishing line from Cabela's. Once you restring a blind with this, you don't have to worry about the wimpy original string breaking.