Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Riverpark Infotainment GPS

My in-dash Rand McNally GPS has worked well on our current trip till a couple of days ago. It is "lagging" to the point it is unusable. I updated the SD card using Rand McNally Dock. The program updated and it said my maps were current. The update made no improvement. I called Riverpark and after an eternity, I was disconnected. I called back and left a message for technical support with the recording saying I'd get a call back that day. I didn't and called and left another message today.

I've called previously and was attended to quickly. Is there a system-wide issue that's causing my problem and others as well. That would explain the long wait time and unreturned phone calls.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #2

Our Riverpark Infotainment GPS is working ok in a 2015 Journey. You might try a factory reset. This is kinda like a reboot. Riverpark had me do that onetime when I was having a problem with it not loading right.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:45 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
My in-dash Rand McNally GPS has worked well on our current trip till a couple of days ago. It is "lagging" to the point it is unusable. I updated the SD card using Rand McNally Dock. The program updated and it said my maps were current. The update made no improvement. I called Riverpark and after an eternity, I was disconnected. I called back and left a message for technical support with the recording saying I'd get a call back that day. I didn't and called and left another message today.

I've called previously and was attended to quickly. Is there a system-wide issue that's causing my problem and others as well. That would explain the long wait time and unreturned phone calls.
Riverpark used to give outstanding service. Recently I have found that they don't do call backs and their response is very poor. Very sad to see great service falling down.

Several weeks ago my SD card went bad again. This time it was shipped from Rand McNally not Riverpark. It was missing the file that the Xite unit uses for WIFI. Also, the traffic subscription was lost. Riverpark referred me to RM whose tech department seemed confused about the Xite unit and finally xfered me to their software group which resulted in music followed by a dial tone. Have not had time to try again.

While it may not help in your particular issue, I mounted a muffin fan blowing directly on the core unit (DVD player) which resolved many intermittent problems.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:13 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I kept trying every day and left messages every day. Yesterday after only 30 minutes on hold I got a tech. After explaining my problem, Chris said he'd ship me a replacement SD card. He said I had to give him a credit card and return the old card. If they didn't get the old card back I'd be charged the cost of the new card, $200. I then told him I thought their customer service was lacking with the hold times and not returning phone messages and that I'd return the card but I thought $200 for an $8 SD card was ridiculous. I followed up with I knew he didn't make the rules but I thought Riverpark was doing their customers and themselves a dis-service with that level of poor customer service. Chris said he wasn't going to listen to me bashing him anymore and I said goodbye. I wonder if I have an SD coming. I never had an issue with my old Rand McNally portable unit.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #5

Quote:
I kept trying every day and left messages every day. Yesterday after only 30 minutes on hold I got a tech. After explaining my problem, Chris said he'd ship me a replacement SD card. He said I had to give him a credit card and return the old card. If they didn't get the old card back I'd be charged the cost of the new card, $200. I then told him I thought their customer service was lacking with the hold times and not returning phone messages and that I'd return the card but I thought $200 for an $8 SD card was ridiculous. I followed up with I knew he didn't make the rules but I thought Riverpark was doing their customers and themselves a dis-service with that level of poor customer service. Chris said he wasn't going to listen to me bashing him anymore and I said goodbye. I wonder if I have an SD coming. I never had an issue with my old Rand McNally portable unit.
The $200.00 is not for the SD card, but for the software license from Rand. I had to do the same when my SD card was too small for an update.

It is a bit hard to get a hold of the them, but I found them to be pretty accommodating once you get them on the phone. In addition to the card, I've had to call them about DOCK and to get a new IPOD cable when I munched mine.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After no return phone calls to messages and numerous days and hours on hold, I was not in the best mood and $200 for an 8 GB card just gave me something else to gripe about.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:06 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiken rver View Post
Riverpark used to give outstanding service. Recently I have found that they don't do call backs and their response is very poor. Very sad to see great service falling down.

Several weeks ago my SD card went bad again. This time it was shipped from Rand McNally not Riverpark. It was missing the file that the Xite unit uses for WIFI. Also, the traffic subscription was lost. Riverpark referred me to RM whose tech department seemed confused about the Xite unit and finally xfered me to their software group which resulted in music followed by a dial tone. Have not had time to try again.

While it may not help in your particular issue, I mounted a muffin fan blowing directly on the core unit (DVD player) which resolved many intermittent problems.
As a follow up, I did reach RM support today and my Traffic Everywhere subscription was transferred to the new SD. Each card carries its own serial number. When you install a new SD card you will also lose your set-up preferences and history and saved addresses. These files can be copied from your old SD card if you are computer savy and the card is still readable. I make a copy of my card periodically for safety. The last time it died I was able to copy the last backup I made back unto it and continue. The backup the Dock software makes does not include all of the files and may not fix a card that has gotten scrambled.

We do use co-pilot as a backup GPS but I like having the big screen on the Xite unit.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same problem and after several attempted card updates Riverpark sent me a new card and that corrected the problem.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:35 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trynforpar View Post
I had the same problem and after several attempted card updates Riverpark sent me a new card and that corrected the problem.
Hopefully my new card will show up in the next few days.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:30 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
After no return phone calls to messages and numerous days and hours on hold, I was not in the best mood and $200 for an 8 GB card just gave me something else to gripe about.
Not to make any excuses for the poor C.S. but you are paying for the subscription on the SD card not the card itself. Riverpark pays Rand McNally for every license it uses. You have 2 licenses until the old one is returned.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's a great explanation. I wish you were on the other end of the phone conversation with Riverpark.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I also have a lag, it will tell me to "turn in 700 ft", about 200 ft after the intersection. It popped up after an update in early spring 2017. The new update I did last week on the Dock listed fixing the lag in the update list. I am off to Florida in a couple of weeks, see how it works then.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoater View Post
The new update I did last week on the Dock listed fixing the lag in the update list. I am off to Florida in a couple of weeks, see how it works then.
Good luck, I did an update within the last two weeks and it did not fix the lag you describe.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The replacement SD card came yesterday, p.m. Not traveling it's not a definite yes, it's fixed but it seems to be responding better to inputs. It seems this is the "fix." I'll send the old card back today but there was a note with the new card, that said if they don't receive the old card within 20 days, my credit card will be charged $267. It's going back Priority Mail, today.

Tags
gps