Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2005, 03:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I spent a few hours yesterday on the roof of my MH washing off road grime and performing a topside inspection. All seams, joints and penetrations looked good. While up there I cleaned and lubed my TV antenna. I am very pleased with the condition of the area, with 2yrs of age and 14,000 miles of travel. The reason this is posted is to remind everyone to check out this critical part of their MH,

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I spent a few hours yesterday on the roof of my MH washing off road grime and performing a topside inspection. All seams, joints and penetrations looked good. While up there I cleaned and lubed my TV antenna. I am very pleased with the condition of the area, with 2yrs of age and 14,000 miles of travel. The reason this is posted is to remind everyone to check out this critical part of their MH,

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 05-02-2005, 04:24 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We are having warranty work done in two weeks and one of the "extra" items (meaning I'll pay for it) is a roof inspection. I'd like the dealer to inspect all the seams to make sure they are in compliance with Winnie requirements.

Come to think of it, if they do need to be recaulked, is that something that would be covered if it is still under warranty or do they treat caulking as a service item like an oil change?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:32 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Don, I do not think this would be an "extra" item (roof inspection/caulk touch-up) if you are within the 12 mos. coach warranty. It was done on mine at no charge. What's important is that the task is listed on the work order so that you had a record it was done by the dealer. After the 12 mos. warranty period, you are responsible for the costs of inspection, touch-up, and repair.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:42 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
Don, .......What's important is that the task is listed on the work order so that you had a record it was done by the dealer. After the 12 mos. warranty period, you are responsible for the costs of inspection, touch-up, and repair. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what I had in mind.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I had my roof perimeter seal inspected at Lazydays at 12 and 24 month intervals. At 24 months (11000 miles), they found 4 areas that needed resealing (about $150 as I recall). And I'm having another inspection at Winnie during GNR (7 months since last insp).

Captain Bud is right; keep an eye on that roof--they've been known to peel off.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Without knowing exactly how much work they did and how much caulk was required it is hard to evaluate the cost.

It sure doesn't sound expensive though. A friend with National recently had his roof and all windows and anything else with caulk redone (pulled out all the old and put in new) and the cost was over $1,000 - which left me sitting on the floor with a stunned look on my face.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Another suggestion I would like to make, if you are cleaning your roof be careful of what you are using to clean it. I personally use a Soft Nylon brush, the type that fits on the end of an adjustable handle that has a trigger grip to allow fresh water to flow thru the handle and out the brush head. That is all I use, no detergents no cleaners just fresh water and when the grime flows down the side I dont have to worry about cleaners attacking my sides. I have found this the safest way to clean my roofs, I have done this on rubber roofs and fiberglass and have had excellent results. Remember up on that roof is a lot of different materials that could possibly have an adverse reaction to cleaners. JMHO

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 05-02-2005, 10:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Just remember, wether it is you or the dealer who does the inspection, that the only true way of doing the inspection is to push on the side of the roof with your finger or thumb where the caulking is and check for separations between fiberglass and caulking. Just "looking" at the seam isnt going to tell the true condition.
Mike

And to add to what Captain Bud said, I use the same car wash mixture on the roof that I use on the sides. That way it helps break up dirt and bird droppings, etc. without harming the roof.
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Roof-Roof, I have a 02 adventure, garaged from day one, and has 23K miles. Just started the roof recaulking, after I read all the problems
with the calking and roofs blowing off. Was at
Snyder RV in Va.Beach last mo. salesman said
they had one in back that had lost half of roof,
and it was at the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay.
My story is that the caulking seems to be good
and it took about an hr. to remove about 3ft.
Now the question is I guess do I continue to
remove good caulking, or just replace what I
have removed? Removed with a X-zacto knife, and
acatone. Maybe because the MH is garaged 95%
of the time my caulking will last 10yrs. like
the last MH I had!! WHAT SAY YOU??? COOPCOLT
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Coopcolt,
Like ISLAPP said, just go down the sides of the roof and push on the edge of the roof where it tucks into the channel. If you can move it and create a gap, it needs attention. If it's solid, don't waste time fixing something that ain't broke.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

My second step in cleaning my rig was accomplished yesterday, I have a 12' step ladder that I use to reach up and over the roof area. That particular area that I call (in boat parlance) the "tumble home" gets hand washed annd waxed. and a detailed inspection is performed. Every inch was examined and no caulk problems discovered. My last cleaning and inspection were my rims and tires and a check of the air pressure. I use to different dial guages to compare readings and after checking the 6 tires I discovered that the only variance was a minus 3# in my right front. I run my tires at 90# front and 85# rear. Todays operation will be loading clothing and foodstuffs, tomorrow will be fueling up the MH and toad and prepping the toad for pulling. I neglected to state that while cleaning I am lubricating various points with, WD40, 3in1 oil and /or Lubriplate.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 05-03-2005, 04:48 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Ssssssiiggghhhhhhhh. So much more fun getting set to leave than unloading when you get home. Since our MH goes in for warranty service next week and we don't know how long it will take, DW decided that everything should come out. What a job that is. Next step is to clean up the road grime on the outside from the 1600 mile trip home. Then do a number on the interior since we spent 5 months living in it.

Frankly, I'd rather be out in it somewhere than having it sit on the pad behind the house or at the dealer. Much more room in the brick house - but who likes to cut 2 acres of grass, tend a swimming pool (have to open it soon) and do all those things? Not me. Travelling would be more fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Captain Bud:
My second step in cleaning my rig was accomplished yesterday, I have a 12' step ladder that I use to reach up and over the roof area. That particular area that I call (in boat parlance) the "tumble home" gets hand washed annd waxed. and a detailed inspection is performed. Every inch was examined and no caulk problems discovered. My last cleaning and inspection were my rims and tires and a check of the air pressure. I use to different dial guages to compare readings and after checking the 6 tires I discovered that the only variance was a minus 3# in my right front. I run my tires at 90# front and 85# rear. Todays operation will be loading clothing and foodstuffs, tomorrow will be fueling up the MH and toad and prepping the toad for pulling. I neglected to state that while cleaning I am lubricating various points with, WD40, 3in1 oil and /or Lubriplate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-03-2005, 07:49 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Follow on to gettin ready; I out to start loading the MH and I looked at the tire that was 3# low yesterday and now it looked really low, checked the pressure and it was below 50# so I run out my air hoses and at that time my trusty old air compressor decides to give up the ghost and quits. I borrow my neigbors little compressor and I could only get about 75# of air. So it's off to Sears and I pick up a nice self contained compressor on sale for $100. I get home put on air quick connects and proceed to fill up the tire, when the crummy cheap coiled hose that comes with the compressor breaks. So it's back to Sears and get a new hose. All of these shenanigans because the stinkin' valve in the stem was loose. If you have a loss of air ,first check that valve.....anyway I got a nice new compressor to carry in my MH..

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 05-03-2005, 08:30 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Captain Bud,
OOPS!!
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:27 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Much more room in the brick house - but who likes to cut 2 acres of grass, tend a swimming pool (have to open it soon) and do all those things? Not me. Travelling would be more fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>After ten years of dealing with our 2.5 acres, pool, fish pond, extensive landscaping, et. al., we are throwing in the towel and putting the house on the market next month. We are going to full-time for a couple of years and then figure out what to do next. The stick house has been a blast (as well as the work shop), but it is time to move on for a while.

John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:39 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

We did the unloading in 1998 when I retired. We just didn't do it right because DW wanted another large lot that she could have a garden on. Now we are captive to the &^$%& garden.

We unloaded a 3.2 acre property with full L pool, artificial grass tennis court (sand filtered in) with lights, 300 huge trees and an outbuilding/workshop with two bays that was 20 x 40 (my two older sons filled it with racing cars). We sold that and scaled down - just now down far enough. She wouldn't think of "leaving" her garden.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:39 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

triplicate
Old 05-03-2005, 02:40 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

triplicate
Old 05-03-2005, 03:38 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Hi. Capt. Bud -
I wondered why your rig was moved. Have fun at the rally!
Ed de-winterized our MH and we are thinking of trying to see if I can travel again.
Pegdiver