Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Roof Side Seam Sealing

I have done several searches for information on sealing the side seams and saw numerous suggestions on the type of sealant but could not find any information on the best way of removing the old sealant without damaging the paint. Any suggestions on the best tools to use and the best way to use them to remove as much of the old sealant as possible and use of any special solvent to clean the surfaces to maximize the bond to the roof and channel. Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought a small hobby tool from Harbor Freight that has a very flexible razor edge on the blade with a wood handle. The blades are replaceable. I force it along the edge of the fiberglass and cut the sealant from the fiberglass as well as the outside edge along the channel. I then pull the old sealant out of the channel and clean the channel with denatured alcohol. After removing all the questionable sealant, I re-seal all the channel where I had removed the sealant.
This method has worked for me for a few years, on my second Winny.

Safe Travels,
David
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
As said above you can cut the sealant, I use a razor knife and I make what I call wooden sticks I have some oak scraps milled to 3/4 x 3/4 then when ready I cut a 45 in the and cut the other side to a 45 so there two ends to work with, use the wooden oak sticks to run along the side and remove the sealant then clean and reapply.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can buy plastic razor blades for next to nothing. They work great for many of the RV caulk and sealant jobs.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #5

I was able to pull mine out, by getting a starter piece cut loose. Then I pulling it gently in the direction from where I cut it loose. It causes the sealant to stretch and shrink and pull loose from its contact areas.
I was able to do several feet at the time this way and then start this process over again. It took maybe about a hour to remove all of it. I believe this procedure only works on the elastomeric type sealant which stretches before it breaks
Old 05-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used a sharp metal putty knife and mineral spirits. Just go slow. I never harmed the paint.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal