Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
rubber window trim installation

I will start the installation of the new rubber trim above the windshield on my 2002 35U in the morn...I have all new parts with the sticky back on them and will be replacing them too. what should I be aware of while doing the job..?? tks Terry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #2

New parts? Are you talking about the wide vinyl piece that covers the gap between the windshield and front cap as well as the piece it snaps into? Make sure all the rust as been removed from the frame work and treated to prevent further rusting. Also make sure the windshield to metal framework is sealed up, urethane is the correct adhesive/sealant for mounting windshields.

I had a leak there as well as from the marker lights above. I bought some 3M auto trim adhesive tape. Look like thick gray tape and comes in several widths. I applied that to the inside top of the trim piece. After mounting the trim piece the tape is adhered to the cap and the trim piece. Been almost a year and no leaks. You may want to add that to keep water from getting behind that trim piece in the first place. Once water gets in it's pretty much trapped in there and eventually can cause rust again.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
the 3m tape is a spot on idea where did you purchase the tape..I have received the rubber trim piece and the 2 pcs that hold it in the cavity ...((109.00 includes shipping from Lichtsinn rv ,,)) today and am in the process of installing it...I had 2 very small rust spots which I an in the process of treating them now. I will hold off to completion until I get an answer as 2 where the adhesive tape was purchased.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboss619 View Post
the 3m tape is a spot on idea where did you purchase the tape..I have received the rubber trim piece and the 2 pcs that hold it in the cavity ...((109.00 includes shipping from Lichtsinn rv ,,)) today and am in the process of installing it...I had 2 very small rust spots which I an in the process of treating them now. I will hold off to completion until I get an answer as 2 where the adhesive tape was purchased.
I discovered on another post that one of the big reasons we get rust on the window frame is because Winnebago uses open cell foam tape tape to attach the carriers to the frame..
The problem here is that open cell foam absorbs water and holds it, all the while it is setting up rust on the frame..I bought some closed cell foam tape from AZ and will be using it for my install..this is the red wrapped tape used to install trim on auto industry..
Old 12-19-2017, 03:52 PM   #5

The closed cell trim adhesive is what I used. Available at just about any auto parts store. 3M brand, comes in different widths. Stuff is sticky, so be careful, don't want to stick it to the wrong spot. I applied it to the trim piece and mounted it. Then pulled the red tape out and pressed trim piece firmly against the front cap.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #6

Just finished up a write up about this issue on my blog today. Has some links to resources that help with this issue.

Weather Proofing... | Chaos Leaves Town

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
The closed cell trim adhesive is what I used. Available at just about any auto parts store. 3M brand, comes in different widths. Stuff is sticky, so be careful, don't want to stick it to the wrong spot. I applied it to the trim piece and mounted it. Then pulled the red tape out and pressed trim piece firmly against the front cap.
I had a lot of trouble trying to attach it to the rubber as it was always trying to wrinkle so I applied it to the chassi instead and it worked like a charm pulling the red tape off as you press the rubber in the carrier strip..installing the rubber tab into the carrier is not all that easy but after I had it installed I learned the a little windex on the littl tab makes it a lot easier.

Its not a bad job just be patient and have a couple cool ones standing by,,thats a glass of tea Im talking abt..

Tags
install, window