Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Running HDMI Cable in a 2012 Itasca

After selling my toyhauler and Lance camper, I come to the forum with a 2012, 30A Itasca we just purchased and I'm looking for some possible solutions in running HDMI cable from front cabinets over the dash to the main TV. My diagram shows where the Dish Network receiver is located in the front and the large Visio TV is located mid coach.

From you experienced guys...... any suggestions on the best way to run this HDMI cable.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Follow the AC vent ductwork in the roof over to the shower. Remove the inside shower cap to get to the AC duct work. Now the AC ductwork does not go into the cab or the shower cap. You have to make your channel. Get a piece if 1/2" or 3/8" soft copper tubing and a propane touch. Heat up the copper and melt the styrofoam to make your wire passageway. Hopefully you will have easy acess to run your hdmi cable down the wall behind your tv. I did this with eze on my 2011 vista.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman-az View Post
Follow the AC vent ductwork in the roof over to the shower. Remove the inside shower cap to get to the AC duct work. Now the AC ductwork does not go into the cab or the shower cap. You have to make your channel. Get a piece if 1/2" or 3/8" soft copper tubing and a propane touch. Heat up the copper and melt the styrofoam to make your wire passageway. Hopefully you will have easy acess to run your hdmi cable down the wall behind your tv. I did this with eze on my 2011 vista.
That's one way to skin the cat...... but I think I'd like to run the cable down from the receiver cabinet, then down to the floor, then under the floor, and drill up through the lower cabinets under the TV. I'm hoping to remove some plastic panels around the windshield to run the cable downward
Old 06-09-2015, 01:05 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Remove the "A" Pillar cover and run the HDMI cable down to the dash then find an exit or create one down thru the floor or the firewall. From there run it under the MH.
I would run it down the drivers side frame rail to the near where the TV is.
Prior to doing this pull the TV and see where and which direction the wires that are there already run. This will give you idea as to where the run the HDMI cable to prior to bringing it back up into the MH. You may need a 40' or longer cable for this. Also while you are at it if it isn't already there run your IR extender also. That will depend on which type you get.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

A wireless solution might be worth consideration. I am using 2, IOGEAR HDMI wireless extenders in my home for tvs that are hard to wire. They work well, especially for close distances. It may take an extra 30 seconds to sync-up when turning on the TV. The cost might be about the same as a long HDMI cable. The transmitter and receiver are small and do require power. Also, 2 TV can be used from one source as long as one is hard wired and a HDMI splitter is used.
Just another option......

Here's one retailer:
IOGEAR Wireless 3D Digital Kit GW3DHDKIT - Newegg.com
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I use the iogear at home and the RV for 2 TVs - no sires to run and can satch on both TVs the same program. Even the remote works fine.
I was thinking ro run cables but this is so much simpler...

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Don't discount the AC ducts too quickly. That's how I did my satellite dome (it's mounted mid coach).

Winnebago will send you the roof drawings if you aren't quite sure where the ducts go (mine have some jogs near the bathroom).

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
KC
Winnebago Camper

Do you have a HD dish?

KC
Old 06-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Do you have a HD dish?

KC

Yes, it's a Winegard GM-1518 Carryout
Old 06-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I thought the GM 1518 was SD only.....i have one also and get SD only.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

DirecTV standard def

Dish network standard or High def
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #12
KC
Winnebago Camper

Nyrius ARIES Prime Digital Wireless HDMI Transmitter & Receiver System for HD 1080p 3D Video Streaming, Laptops, PC, Cablebox, Satellite, Blu-ray, DVD, PS3, Xbox (NPCS549)

Found this on Amazon. It is a little expensive but you not have to put any wholes in things.

KC
Old 06-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

56Nomad I assume the problem is your sat receiver does not have a component video output. Have you thought about using a HDMI to Component Video converter and then use the existing cable.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Nomad View Post
Yes, it's a Winegard GM-1518 Carryout
The Winegard GM-1518 is an auto locate, dome dish that can receive DirecTV and Dish Network based on dip switch settings under the dome. If subscribed to DirecTv, the GM1518 will NOT receive HD channels. It will receive most all of their SD channels. Dish programming is a mix of SD and HD with this dish. the GM 1518 does not have a stationary roof mount kit, but does have available a ladder mount kit. Winegards new version of the Carryout is easily mountable with a kit.
If HD programming is a must have, the Winegard Traveler is an open face, auto locate dish, that works with Direct or Dish and receives 3 satellites at once with a 3 LNB.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all of the feed back!

I did run a 40' HDMI cable under the floor running from the sat. reciever to the main TV. I'm glad I did as the former owner of the rig had accidently severed several of the audio and video wires when he was moving the TV out on its sliding bracket.

At some point in time, I'll sell the Winegard GM-1518 and replace it with an HD unit.

Tags
itasca