RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Running on 30 Amp instead of 50

Hi All,
Trying to figure out what the restrictions are when hooking up to 30Amp shoreline when we have a 50 amp system. As I understand it, my Powerline system will adjust by shutting off various components so I do not blow breakers.

But I would like to know some real world experiences and what others have learned from doing it. Being that it is summertime, my main concern is running the AC, in my model (2006 Meridian 39K) I have the air source heat pump built into the central air conditioning system. Currently, when connected to 50 amp shoreline it keeps the coach nice and cool. Will it do the same when connected to 30amp? I noticed when running on the genset and I start the AC, I see it pulling about 20 some amps, but not sure about the startup current draw and if that would exceed the 30amps? Then we have the other thing like running a coffee pot in the morning and microwave.

Also, I already have the 30-50 adapter, but does anyone know if I could use my 50a Hughes autoformer on this setup?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 07:15 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Running on 30 Amp instead of 50

In our 50amp coach when on 30 amps can only run one AC and need to watch running other high watt appliances. You are going from 12,000watts available to 3,600watts so some conservation is required.
The Powerline assuming it has the ability to shed loads will take care of things for you for the most part.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:04 AM   #3

Our rule of thumb is when we are on 30 amp, we can use two things such as the A/C and the microwave or the water heater and the toaster. You get the idea. If we exceed the two big ticket items, the Powerline will take over and do it for us. I'm not too keen on having an electronic gadget do something that I can do just as easily myself. We also keep an eye on the loadmeter. I read somewhere that if you exceed the max load by 80% for a certain time period, the system will shut stuff down for a cool down period.

Stan
Old 06-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your Meridian should be able to run BOTH AC compressors on 30A service, with some power to spare.

The PowerLine system probably sheds the water heater first, followed by the 2nd AC compressor, the high speed fan, and the fridge (at least mine does).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have used the 50amp auto former on 30amp hookup with no problems. We have basement sir and we flip off the breaker for the second compressor and rarely do we got 30amp. If we do (water heater and microwave) the system sheds the water heater until microwave is done. If we do a/c, microwave and toaster on 4 slice setting then we go over 30amp but our hybrid inverter kicks in to supply the extra amps to keep the campground draw under 30. Magnum 3012H inverter.

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
We found on 30 amp with both A/C compressors running not to use the microwave or the washer/dryer. Maybe not a toaster or hair-dryer, either.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #7

lajuene, you are just showing off, now. Don't blame you, the hybrid inverters are a great improvement in livability.
blevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No biggie... just have to be somewhat mindful about the "heavy load" appliances. And like everyone says, when on 30a you can't have as many of those running at same time. We don't find it to be that troublesome to switch off the coffee pot when the toast goes in... for example.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blevtr View Post
lajuene, you are just showing off, now. Don't blame you, the hybrid inverters are a great improvement in livability.
Yeah, I guess so but to upgrade to it I had to dowse my old one in black water when I overflowed it while flushing it out. In this case I'd rather still have the old one. Haha

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:25 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have always been able to run2 A/C's on 30 amps, in Florida that's pretty important but I will also fire up the generator when we need another unit for cooling or even cooking
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we're at a 30 amp site I'll typically only run one air conditioner.

Where is south central Pennsylvania? I'm from Williamsport.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:36 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Appreciate everyones advice, on our rig, we have a single heatpump unit, that's located in the basement, no roof top A/C's.

Still trying to figure out how to put a load monitoring setup on the rig, so I can monitor it when connected to shoreline. If I run the genset, I can see how much current I am using, but shoreline it goes away.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #13

Your basement unit has 2 compressors. On 30amps, turning off the #2 compressor will provide you more amps for other loads.

When we are on 30amps, I usually run both ac's. I turn water heater to LP. We have residential fridge which runs off inverter. The inverter will also provide power to the microwave and the outlets on the kitchen side of the coach if we exceed 30 amps. I will also usually turn my battery charger down to 10%. Drawing from the batteries to use the microwave/convection oven will increase the battery charger draw to a level that will turn off the #2 ac compressor.

The main thing, IMHO, when running 2 ac's on 30amps is to keep an eye on your voltage. Low voltage can be problematic to your compressor circuits.

On 50 amps, you have 100 amps to play with, and your EMS assumes that is sufficient. If you do manage to draw more your breakers or the pedestal breakers will/should trip.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the Hughes 50A hardwired into the service bay and it works fine on 30 or 50A. If we are on a 30A circuit, which we are alot, and we need the a/c, I will put refer and whtr on gas just for my peace of mind and to prevent the Powerline system from cycling in and out so much, but that is just me.

One thing we do with the a/c: If it needs to run all night, the basement unit can get quiet "hummy" back there and I tune into that when trying to sleep. Now, at night, since the heat of the day is no longer beating down on us, when we go to bed, I'll kill the compressor #2 and it still keeps the coach cool at night without the additional compressor humming. I will admit, that we live mostly in a non-humid part of the country, so I can't say if I would still be able to to that in the southeast or midwest.