Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rv insurance

Need some help please. Time to renew the insurance on my Rv, quote from progressive went up 400 with no claims. Making the annual premium over 2500. Does that come close to other annual cost?
Thanks for the info
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 08:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Progressive wanted another $300 from us this year too and we haven't made any claims in a long time.
We bundled our RV with our home and auto carrier and were back to our 'normal rate' for the RV.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #3

My Progressive second year renewal went up $30 to $1670. Full Timers coverage and had new windshield installed in January. Very happy with their service——so far—working on wind caused fiberglass roof damage claim right now.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4111.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	201993Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4134.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	201994
Old 05-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow, I'm a bit shocked at the rates you guys are paying. I understand that rates are dependent on many things; past claims; driving record; zip code, full-time vs part time; make model and year of coach and whether insured for ACV or Agreed Value, BUT:

I have an ACV value policy with high limits of liability, zero deductable on glass, full comp, and 500 deductable; and roadside assistance, and am paying under $600/year and think it's way too much.

So I just got a new policy quotation in the mail today, from another company, and it actually has higher liability (250,000/500,000), is also an ACV policy, everything else the same as my present insurance policy, and the rate is (keep in mind my coach is a 2002); $384/year, and that also included roadside assist/towing, which I don't need since I already have CoachNet.

I'm a bit hesitant to switch, as I don't want the "new" company, who I also have other insurance with, to jack my rate up at renewal. My present company is also my homeowner's, and several vehicles, umbrella, and more. Been with them for more than 40 years. Not sure what I'll do.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #5

I checked a lot of companies including brokers and I felt I got a good rate for full time with an agreed value of $80,000. No accidents and no tickets. Would love to know who is quoting you these rates. Can’t even insure my car for those rates and have been with State Farm for 51 years. I must renew by June 15th with Progressive and would love to save $1,000
Old 05-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
I checked a lot of companies including brokers and I felt I got a good rate for full time with an agreed value of $80,000. No accidents and no tickets. Would love to know who is quoting you these rates. Can’t even insure my car for those rates and have been with State Farm for 51 years. I must renew by June 15th with Progressive and would love to save $1,000
Try national general (old gmac )
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:05 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We're not full-timer's; not even half-timers, and they DO ask how many days a year the RV will be used. With us, it typically is less than 60. On one quote, I notice that it says use less than 120 days use per year, so that will make a difference. And if you choose ACV, the rate drops considerably. The current ACV of our coach, according to USAA, is $26000. If I want to insure it for Agreed Value, one number I used was for $50k, and the rate quote went from $384 to $590.

I think the biggest obstacle you will have to lowering your rate is that it is your full-time residence, so you have much more exposure than someone who uses it recreationally, for a few weeks at a time, and then stores it in a secure, environmental controlled building on his own property.

One other thought; a friend of mine, who does full-time in his 40, is a retired US Navy vet, and has his insurance somehow connected with them, and financing through the Navy Credit Union. Maybe you look into that.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #8

Had National General on last RV. Our quote for our 2004 was higher than Progressive for less coverage and a lower agreed value. State Farm does not offer Full Timers coverage so my best bet is to renew with Progressive. Using it for at least 270 days a year I expect to pay more.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #9

I switched to Winnebago RV insurance 3 years ago. I've never submitted a claim, so can't comment on that.
I used to have Good Sam RV insurance until it got too high IMO.
The actual policy is issued by Nationwide, through alliedinsurance.com
I renewed in April; premium was about $500 less than Good Sam for the same annual coverage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:49 AM   #10

i have state farm... stated value of 80k i think i am around 700 a year
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I switched to Winnebago RV insurance 3 years ago. I've never submitted a claim, so can't comment on that.
I used to have Good Sam RV insurance until it got too high IMO.
The actual policy is issued by Nationwide, through alliedinsurance.com
I renewed in April; premium was about $500 less than Good Sam for the same annual coverage.
Neither Winnebago nor Good Sam insure RV's. They act as agents for insurance companies, just like any other agency does. In my case Winnebago put me with Progressive because they picked up that we have cars with Progressive and could bundle the RV for a lower rate. Our usage is listed at 150 days per year and includes roadside assistance for $540/yr.

The RA seemed not quite up to that offered by others, but since we already had AAA on the cars, adding the RV was only $25 more and on paper looks to cover everything that Good Sam or Coach-net does. Hopefully one or the other will find help for us when we need it.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:42 PM   #12

Winnebago RV Insurance is our agent and also put us with Progressive. Increased a few of the coverages and have an agreed value of $79,000. $1,660 is what we paid last July. Have been with State Farm for over 50 years and maybe it is time to package with the RV. Our State Farm agent warned us not to use them for the RV due to much lesser coverage. Still asked for a rate and was quoted higher than Progressive. I pulled my policy out and found I paid
1. Comprehensive with $0 Windshield, $500 deductible and $79,000 agreed value was $693
2. Collision with the same as above was $514
Add in $67 for Full Timers. Add in about six other line items and you have around $1,600. Where can I cut to get below $1,000????
Old 05-10-2018, 11:45 PM   #13

Should have said the car is insured with State Farm now and package with Progressive
Old 05-11-2018, 06:44 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Auto/RV Insurance has become Legalized Extortion. Farmers has been the worst for rate increases in this area.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance