Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2005, 05:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

The Magnadyne RV radio in my dash loses about 10 minutes every 2 weeks. In a recent post several others said they had the same problem. I called Magadyne today and they told me to ask Winnebago to replace the radio. My Horizon is still under warranty. Has anyone attempted this? Or, are all the radio clocks inaccurate?
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The Magnadyne RV radio in my dash loses about 10 minutes every 2 weeks. In a recent post several others said they had the same problem. I called Magadyne today and they told me to ask Winnebago to replace the radio. My Horizon is still under warranty. Has anyone attempted this? Or, are all the radio clocks inaccurate?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I had the radio replaced last year after only one season cause the CD part wouldn't work. Don't reemeber if the clock kept ok time then or not. But on the new radio, I have the same problem you do. CD is ok now, but clock isnt the greatest. It "appears" to keep better time when I have the switch to house batteries rather than coach battery.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Rex,

There is no technical reason why a battery powered clock couldn't be as accurate as one powered from the wall socket.

It is all about time bases - a 5$ AC powered clock can be extremely accurate because they use the 60 cycle (hertz) from the line for synchronization. The power company keeps the line frequency very accurate.

With no readily available accurate frequency source like the 60 hertz from the line, the designer/electronic engineer of a battery-powered clock must create one. Sometimes they use a crystal-based oscillator and a bunch of other parts. Usually the temperature of the components GREATLY affects the accuracy/frequency of the oscillator. If it is a poor design or one designed to a certain dollar figure lots of compromises are made and the accuracy suffers.

Where accuracy is critical, the crystal will be actually be in an "oven" where its temperature is carefully regulated. You would never see this in consumer electronics (well - almost never.. some ham radios have them)

The battery powered clocks that use the National Bureau of Standards time broadcast (WWV) can be extemely accurate because they correct their cheap internal time base every so often with the time hack from WWV.

Back to your problem - 10 minutes in two weeks is unacceptable to me. I'm okay with a minute or two a month. Find out if Magnadyne has a specification for their clock accuracy. Call Winnie!

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Mine gains about 5 min in 2 weeks. If we average it out, we'll only have a net 5 loss

I'm way out of warranty, but I'll ask Winny while attending the GNR at the Foundry.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Hi LK,
I have called Magnadyne too and I am in the process of changing the radio. My dealer was well aware of the issue as it has already changed 6 of these in the last 3 months. Winnebago is sending the radios to the dealers and the defective one back to Magnadyne. According to Magnadyne, there is a software issue on the RV radio that has been fixed. Just take to your dealer and ask them to take care of it.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I called the local Winnebago dealer today and they will order a new radio after I provide my model number and serial number. My coach is still under its one year warranty.

I found you can get a radio removal tool from Auto Zone that will allow you to take the radio out from the front dash. It is the same tool used for Fords.

I still had to open the top of the dash because the attachment wires did not have enough slack to come out the front.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I dont know what MAGNADYNE was doing befor they were making CHEAP radios, but they need to return to what ever it was! I have my second cheep-cheep piece of *%^@ radio. tenn.vol.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">LK23 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Regarding the removal tool, mine came with one in a plastic bag in the owner info bag.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Mine came with two.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote