Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Satellite TV

I'm sure lots of you have answered this question before, so here goes. I'm considering satellite TV. We have a small house in S. Cal. for the winter, but spend the rest of the year in our 2007 Adventurer, which came with a dish installed on the top. Is there a system that we can use in the winter in one location, then move the receiver to the M/H for the rest of the year? Will the dish I have work for reception? I've heard that it will not get HD TV, but that does not matter as I still have the 1,000 lb. Sony with the digital converters. What satellite provider do you recommend? Is it easy to move the receiver from house to M/H? Is it easy to use the satellite in various locations around the country? I know trees can be a problem with reception, but can live with that. Thanks for your feedback!
Ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.

There are many threads here that will give you answers to all your questions, in detail. Start by reading them.
You can move the satellite reciever back and forth between the house and RV.
The 2 biggest satellite companies seem to be Dish and DirecTV, check them out and see what you want to pay for, the more you get, the more you pay.
You can get satellite reception almost anywhere in the country, but getting the local channels where ever you are is a little tricky.
As for the dish on your RV roof, you would have to be more specific, there are many types of dishes.
Many people use the satellite for most channels and cable (most parks have it) for the local channels.
My suggestion is to find out what you have for equipment, what you want from satellite tv, and contact the companies to see what they offer.
Personally, I like DirecTV, I have it at home because I like the channel lineup better, so I have it in the RV too.

Good luck, we've all been there.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I currently have Direct TV. I have HDDVR receivers in my house. Since my winegard antenna on my Adventurer won't accommodate the receiver(s), I use a simple receiver that is left over from years of RV'ing. They are available with very little cost on line or at a second-hand store. Be sure to get the ID card with the unit.

I take the receiver with me when I travel. Prior to leaving for the winter, or any extended trip, I simply call Direct TV and have them activate the receiver. Call it a "bedroom receiver" they don't seem to carel The cost is only about $6.00 per month for that additional receiver. If I am using the motor home a lot, I simply Cowboy up and leave it activated all of the time.

Here is the rub: If you simply activate another receiver or take one from your house, you will not receive your "home" or Network stations when you travel outside of the "footprint" area. Roughly, it's about 400 or 500 miles or so from your broadcast area. You will always get the cable stations, no matter if you exceed the "footprint" area.

With Direct TV, unless it has changed over the past two or three years, you have to sign an RV waiver and they will broadcast either East or West Coast Networks to you on that receiver. You may want to check with them.

Dish Network advertises an RV special in the RV magazines. When I called about it for a friend, I found that the "Vendor" who handles it in my area was totally uninformed. He said that I had to buy the system for my house before I could have the RV system. (Just like Direct TV)

Having used both systems, I personally prefer Direct TV because I like their menu much better. You will get identical cable channels with either provider, so you may want to talk to both of them to judge for yourself.

I hope this helps. I also hope that I am current with this info. It changes often.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have been using Dish for years now. The RV special is a way to have a receiver and then when you want to use it call and activate it or call an turn it off and only pay for the use while you use it. The pay is the full subscription costs for what ever you chose. Since I have Dish at home with my subscription I just purchased an "extra" receiver for the RV and have it activated all the time. This cost is $5/7 per month, depending on SD or HD added to my Home charges for Dish. I find the "extra" monthly cost for an RV receiver is cheaper for me than using the Dish RV special.
A side note: if you have the King Dome on the roof (like I do) it will need to be programed to work with Dish receivers, it comes factory standard set to Direct. The programing takes a special unit most King Dome sat installers have on hand. See your King dome user manual for info on this, or go on line and down load the manual.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffman View Post
You will get identical cable channels with either provider, so you may want to talk to both of them to judge for yourself.
I used to think that too but found it wasn't true when I went to watch an RV specific channel. Local cable had it, but DirectTV didn't.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustamiata View Post
I'm sure lots of you have answered this question before, so here goes. I'm considering satellite TV. We have a small house in S. Cal. for the winter, but spend the rest of the year in our 2007 Adventurer, which came with a dish installed on the top. Is there a system that we can use in the winter in one location, then move the receiver to the M/H for the rest of the year? Will the dish I have work for reception? I've heard that it will not get HD TV, but that does not matter as I still have the 1,000 lb. Sony with the digital converters. What satellite provider do you recommend? Is it easy to move the receiver from house to M/H? Is it easy to use the satellite in various locations around the country? I know trees can be a problem with reception, but can live with that. Thanks for your feedback!
We use DirectTV at home and in the RV and have been pleased with it. When we go camping we take either a HDDVR that has recorded shows or one of the regular receivers with us along with a small satellite dish with tripod, and extra cable. Many times the roof satelite won't pick up a good signal and it also does not work with the HDDVR because it requires two connections. The regular receiver works fine with the RV satellite dish as long as we can get a good signal. If needed, for the second cable required by the HDDVR, there is a flat cable connector that fits between a window and the window frame which allows you to close the window. In addition you may be able to use your built in aux. satellite connection for one cable and your cable connection which is usually located beside the aux. connection for the second cable. As was mentioned by someone there are lots of posts if you do a search and so many users have developed creative solutions.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I have DirecTv in the sticks and bricks and use the receivers from home in the MH.

After lugging the receivers back and forth for about 6 months I just ordered 2 extra HD receivers and pay an extra $5 monthly for each one. Now I just leave them in the MH all hooked up and ready to go.

I have a roof mounted Wineguard Travler SK-3005 Directv HD dish and a portable non- HD dish for the ocassional times when the roof dish is blocked by trees.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all who responded! It makes the decision a lot easier with the feedback you all have provided!
Ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch14me View Post
Many times the roof satelite won't pick up a good signal and it also does not work with the HDDVR because it requires two connections. If needed, for the second cable required by the HDDVR, there is a flat cable connector that fits between a window and the window frame which allows you to close the window.

You need more than just 2 cables to get HD with DirecTV, you need a dish that can skew (rotate). There are a couple of them on the market you can mount on your RV roof, the Winegard Trav'ler SK-3005 was mentioned earlier, it's all automatic, wish I had one. Still saving up my nickels.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite