Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Have you had a problem with your Schwintek Slide where a visit to a Dealer was needed
YES 168 58.95%
NO 117 41.05%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #201
Winnebago Owner

Got my slide to come 3" at a time this morning. With the help of Brian at Country Coach he helped me resync the slide. It went out fine this morning when we got back to our site south of Seattle. Now for the 3rd time since December my check engine light came on. First time in December Ford sent me to Tallahassee Truck repair only to get it back 3 weeks later with a dash full of acorns, radio and camera wiring destroyed, and the air and Heat ducts destroyed. $2,800 later at Camping World in Midway, Florida I got it back. When I went to leave the radio did not work. Took it back and went lunch. Came back and 30 miles down the road the cameras quit. Had to drive 100 miles to get them fixed the next day. Left Florida Panhandle on March 29th for Seattle only to have the radio and cameras quit before we we could get out of the State. Headed to Forest City to have both Power Gear slides repaired and added the radio and cameras to the repair order. I received a call from the Shop asking if I knew of a rodent infestation under the dash. They found the camera and radio wires chewed and repaired with tape holding them in to their connections. Also removed a bunch of acorns. They gave me the chewed wiring that I paid to have replaced. Asking for Winnebago's help with Camping World as all calls go to voice mail with no call back. Now in Seattle so can not see anyone now to talk too. The second check engine light was #2 cylinder misfire. Nothing done except to reset and send us on our way.
It seems everyday another problem. Currently talking of dumping our RV and look for something in retirement that is less stressful and costly. 2016 Vista LX 27N.
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #202
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

Sorry to hear of all your troubles, however the factory does fix the schwintek slides very well. They fixed mine when at the factory.
As far as your rodent problem that isn't Winnebago's fault but your fault so I can't see why you want to get rid of your coach. I would crawl underneath your rv and plug up all the holes that rodents can get into your coach with steel wool and metal tape.
You know people always complain about their RV's and what they should do is put 6 wheels under their house and see what breaks when you go down the road. Granted Schwintek has a problem but the rest of the problems happen in every other brand of RV too.
Yes you have to a little handy and check your coach out every once and awhile.

Good Luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #203
Site Team

My 2013 Winnebago Sunstar and my 2017 Adventurer have worked flawlessly.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #204
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
My first side, the bed slide, motor assembly broke while the coach was under warranty. The second, the full wall slide, motor assembly broke out of warranty about a month ago. It was two months out of warranty. I do wonder if Winnebago would have stepped up to the plate and covered the charges had I not had the extended warranty.

As far as "6 wheels under a house" goes, we all get that. I had about 50 items of which about three quarters of them resulted from poor assembly/craftsmanship at the factory and not because of bouncing down the road. Last summer, I spent 35 days of down time out of a 130 day trip dealing with issues only to get home and three days later the coach goes back the shop for another five weeks. 24 of the days last summer were at the factory and that was really telling. At least these issues don't discriminate between diesel pushers and gassers.

After 13 years and towing 92,000 miles in two 5th wheels, I never went through what I have experienced in 14 months of ownership of our Winnie.

By the way, we love our floor plan and feel it offers a lot of bang for the buck. The Ford chassis exceeded my expectations.

I would also like to say that it is good to hear that some have had only relative minor issues.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:07 AM   #205
Winnebago Owner

New coach with no holes. Checked it when I bought it. When you leave your coach at a Ford authorized Repair Center and they keep it for 3 weeks for a check engine light you should get it back without squirrels. Told me they we're waiting on a part. When I got it back only a lot boy was present and got me the keys. Opened the door and found a large shop blanket partially on the doghouse with grease on the carpet. Under the brake pedal I found 4 acorns and by the time I drove 10 miles more than 50 fell from under the dash. XM Radio didn't work and all three cameras. While they had it I know they left the doghouse partially or totally off which allowed the entry point. I left the a nearly new coach so what did I do wrong. Ford said not their fault. Insurance said not covered and service center said prove it. Florida State Department of Consumer Services has closed our complaint after getting no response from Tallahassee Truck Service after two attempts. what would you do?
You can't check your coach when it is always in the shop. In my first year I have easily had over 30 repairs. My 27N weighs 1,440 lbs more on the right rear and sat 4" lower on that corner. Two trips to the factory and 6,000 miles of fuel and now I sit here with my third broken slide and the check engine light on again. I totally built my own 5,500 sq foot home from a pole barn and have a degree in Diesel Mechanics so I am handy. I bought new to enjoy retirement not sit in service centers. Again what would you do.
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:01 AM   #206
Winnebago Owner

Wew! As the old saying goes, "you just can't make this stuff up".
Old 05-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #207
Winnebago Camper

I don't get it Winnebago has had problems with slides at least back to 2014. If you go back to 2007 with the original powergear slides there were very few problems. My coach has never had a slide issue and we are full time. Winnebago should revert back to the original powergear design.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #208
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
I don't get it Winnebago has had problems with slides at least back to 2014. If you go back to 2007 with the original powergear slides there were very few problems. My coach has never had a slide issue and we are full time. Winnebago should revert back to the original powergear design.
X2. The tech that repaired my coach says that he gets a lot of comments saying the same thing. The new systems save space and weight, ibut n my book, reliability trumps both of those so called "benefits". I had older ram systems on both my 5th wheels with over a thousand cycles with zero issues.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #209
Winnebago Watcher

Looking at a new coach? Don't get full wall slides. Better to have 4 slides and eight motors than one large slide with two motors. If the coach uses Lippert/Schwintek for the slides don't buy it. It's just that simple. I'm real handy but finding documentation to help you put the puzzle together takes hours of research. My full wall slide had a motor go out with it extended. Tech states, "Your in the Keys so I can't get there until Tuesday." This was on a Saturday and I had to be back to work on Monday. I had to recruit 7 people from the campground willing to help me push it in. This was after I removed the molding, removed the locking screws, pushed the motors out of the slots, and unplugged the controller. Had to use the slide lock I thought and prayed I would never need to use.

The slide haunts me every time I use. It's like PTSD. I depress the button and pray. The first couple of times after this was repaired I would also sweat profusely. When it's just you and your wife there's no way you could ever push a full wall slide back in.

Always get 3 to 4 slide outs. This way it does not take a small army to help you.
Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:16 AM   #210
Winnebago Owner

Same here about the Slide PTSD.
Drivers slide repaired three times and counting.
Get nervous every time. That is why we are going to down size.
To what not sure.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #211
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1219 View Post
The slide haunts me every time I use. It's like PTSD. I depress the button and pray. The first couple of times after this was repaired I would also sweat profusely. When it's just you and your wife there's no way you could ever push a full wall slide back in.
Always get 3 to 4 slide outs. This way it does not take a small army to help you.
"PTSD" -- the perfect analogy. Well said.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:08 AM   #212
Winnebago Camper

Update on trip to factory ( unbelievable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccents View Post
Well just read all post on this forum since I am on my way to WB Iowa to hopefully have my back two slideouts repaired !
Was told that I could sign up for a non appointment since they are booked through July ! Just have to wait at factory till they have time .
I have already spent over 2000 $ in trying to have problem fixed in Ca. First ordered four new motors from WB each one cost 280.00 x4 then the repair service time only to find that they could not fix !
Will keep you posted on my experience at factory , please say a prayer for quick service .
Oh , one last item , CW extended service insurance is a joke !
So , on our way to Iowa to hopefully have slides fixed , on I 80 eastbound around Rawlings, Wy . Check engine light came on ,
pulled over to check engine and found diesel fuel spraying out along with coating our car which we are towing !

Called in for roadside service through Good Sam , no help so I called on my own for roadside service . Mechanic arrives and tries to diagnose problem , after two hours decides it is fuel line into one cylinder.
Now we need a tow into garage to be fixed .

Waited till 10:00 pm for tow truck when it finally arrived the real fun begins! Tow truck operator is alone so I try to assist by holding flashlight for him . Around 2:00 AM after lying on road holding light ( temp is around 30 degrees) while he fights to disconnect drive train to tow , finally gets the drive train in place and we arrive at garage parking lot at 3:00 am .
After three hours sleep wake up with a cold !
Next have to get hotel room and wait for new part arrives , then snow storm hits on Wednesday delaying part arrival till Friday .
( I 80 closed for two days !)
Part is installed by late Friday and I excitedly go to do a test drive in hopes of leaving to continue trip to factory !
Well , what does not kill u can only make you stronger , right ?
As I drive the RV down a country road I hear an odd sound , then the mechanic who is riding shotgun says , do you hear that ?
As he says it I lose power and come to a stop in the middle of road !
Of course by now you probably guessed that drive train was not reinstalled properly and now sat in the roadway !
Today is Sunday and as we wait for Monday to find out why and when we will be able to resume our trip to factory to get slides fixed I wonder about how one can spend 300,000
On a 2015 RV and have so many problems ?
To be continued!
Ccents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #213
Winnebago Watcher

I have the Schwintek on four small slides. So far no problems. I had a rig once with a full wall slide. Although no problems with it just seemed to big to be sliding in and out in my opinion.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:11 AM   #214
Site Team

Sorry to hear about all your troubles. Best of luck on getting to the factory without anymore issues.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #215
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Sorry to hear about all your troubles. Best of luck on getting to the factory without anymore issues.

Thank you for message ! Sitting in waiting room to get bill for repairs [emoji33]
Old 05-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #216
Winnebago Owner

Let us know.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:47 AM   #217
Winnebago Camper

5000.00 but ended up paying 850.00 since Cummings paid warranty !
Of course does not include the hotel fees for the last eight days .
The good news is.. hitting the road this morning to continue our trip !
Decided not to go to Winnabego factory now due to upcoming Memorial Day which would delay our arriving in time for my daughters upcoming due date and the arrival of my grandson !
Either I will find a repair shop after the event or head to factory on the way back to California.
The best laid plans of mice and men ?
Old 05-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #218
Site Team

Glad you are back on the road and that Cummins backed their warranty! $5K! Wow!

Tags
slide