Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #1

Seriously Considering the 2015 Itasca Ellipse Money Down Insight Please

I came across what I consider a fabulous opportunity on a 2015 Itasca Ellipse 42HD. I only have experienced this coach online but love the floor plan. From reading posts, it seems that there has been problems with the slide system Winnebago uses and some Aqua Hot motor issues. Are these issues valid? Should I have a concern? Is there anything else I should be made aware of before I sign the papers? Thank you in advance.
Desiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Desiday, congrats on the upcoming deal, it's a fine coach.
Regarding the slide issue....the problem concerned the fixed track Schwintek design, not the Powergear ram design. The specific slide to have the problem was the heaviest kitchen/lounge slide. This was typically on the curbside forward most slide, such as the QD model. It was just too much weight for the system to handle.
The remedy was the floating slim track design. This track is about 5/8" square with teeth on it, and not screwed to the slide wall, but floating over it.
If you see the floating design on the slides, you have the upgrade. I believe the upgraded design became standard on the 2016 models, but, yours may be a late '15 model, and received the upgrade during production.
Best luck, let us see pics when you get the coach!
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:39 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've been FT for 4+ years - still like everything about the coach. Ditto re: Electra 225's comments on the slides - our gears/motors were replaced and now work great. Recommend you also have the batteries tested and get the chassis, engine, AH and generator serviced if not done recently (with hard evidence in hand).

A 4-corner weight will help establish the best running tire pressures - should be done once you load the coach and with full fuel/FW tanks and empty waste tanks.

There are a lot of QD owners on <IRV2> and <winnieowners> - keep the questions coming. See you on the road...
Old 02-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
I came across what I consider a fabulous opportunity on a 2015 Itasca Ellipse 42HD. I only have experienced this coach online but love the floor plan. From reading posts, it seems that there has been problems with the slide system Winnebago uses and some Aqua Hot motor issues. Are these issues valid? Should I have a concern? Is there anything else I should be made aware of before I sign the papers? Thank you in advance.
Great choice. I have the 2012 JD, the reason I have this model is because it has the quintessential floor plan for us and 2012 was the only yr they produced this (JD) model. We fell in love with it. So far the only problems I've had we're changing the tires (finally after 7 yrs) and my front door kwikee steps Motor, which gave out on me after 7 yrs, but it was an easy fix, I ordered the motor and gear assembly (harness) online (for $183) and replaced it myself in 45 min, and saved $465. CW quoted me $648. Anyway, I've had no problems with my rig so far, the slides and water heater have been fantastic and after 7 yrs all is well. No complaints.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:40 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
-YES YES YES
Only serious issue is the "Swintek" slide system and the failure of the "in wall" slide motors that fail, over and over. Last I heard was they are on the 4th revision and still not corrected. The only way you can sell a coach with this system is to sell it to someone that does not know about it. 2011 was the last year with the good "PowerGear" system for slides. After that "Swintek" bought "PowerGear" and cheapened it also, so it is no longer reliable. Lwasouth

lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:16 PM   #6

Your Aqua-Hot motor is a pretty easy thing to replace...mine lasted 9 years before it crapped out.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Last May I bought the 2015 Ellipse 42QD. I love the lay-out and how it drives. It is a very comfortable coach. I think the previous owners were full-timers and there were several items to be fixed at purchase. None huge, wear and tear items mostly.
1. front end alignment
2. water pump on clothes washer broken
3. gear on the sat dish. Was stuck upright
4. bushings on roof a/c
5. infotainment system screen goes black. Frequent restarts. This was not originally identified. TOTAL PAIN. The original is no longer being made and the replacement is $1850. Extended warranty considered it an upgrade and did not pay for it.
6. motor on bed died and had to be replaced.

I love the coach and would buy it again. However maybe I would try to negotiate it a bit harder.
Check every switch. Run every system. Have them service it also. Or have an RV inspector go through it.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We lost our 2008 Winni Destination to Hurricane Harvey. I purchased our present 2105 Winnebago Tour 42QD, the sister to the Ellipse.
Look at the rails on the slide. If they are the wig-wag S type they are schwintek. If they are the rack and pinion type (square gear) they are the power gear type. I believe that the upgrade for that big kitchen slide was to replace the system with the power gear type and floating track. That is what I have and may have been done by previous owner.

Some things to remember and are important. (This is from the company (LCI)) When extending or retracting the slide keep the button pressed for a minimum of 5 seconds after the slide stops. This is to keep the motors in sync.

Originally when I first used the system I did not do that and it may have contributed to a motor failure that I had to have fixed. At LCI during replacement they reiterated that information.

On the AquaHot 450D (Don't know the model you have), once a month (every 6 weeks seems to be okay) turn the burner on and let it run through one cycle. That is, when it reaches temperature it can be turned off. The blower will continue to run for a few minutes cooling down the system. I was also told by AquaHot to cycle the exchangers (Thermostat to make them come on) at the same time. This is to keep the valves working.

I'm not sure about the HD configuration but my AquaHot is very difficult to get to. Therefore I prefer to spend the bucks and have it done by a professional. I watched the last service performed and it was not something this old body could do.

I removed the tailgate package for more storage space.

We love the floor plan of our 2015 QD.

Go for it and enjoy!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca