Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Servicing my 330 Cat

My 2004 330 Cat has about 49,000 miles and I am now only putting about 4 or 5,000 miles on it a year. Every November I change the oil and oil filter as well as the fuel filter. I also service the 7500w generator (400 hrs) and lube the chassis. Is it necessary to do all this or am I overdoing it with the fuel filters, generator and chassis lube?

Thanks, Hank

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Servicing my 330 Cat

Hi Hank,

I have the CAT C12 and the interval for oil and fuel filter service is by mileage or months.
I only put 6-8K miles a year on my Affinity so I do the service by time interval, every 12 months.
Does that seem excessive? Maybe, but it is way cheaper than a new engine, transmission, gen set or most any thing else.
Onan uses the hours or months intervals. Again for me it's once a year for service.
One could probably use an oil analysis service and extend the oil interval, but I don't, I just change the 9 gallons of oil in the CAT once a year. Same with the few quarts in the gen. I replace all the filters, lube the chassis and in general just follow the regular maintenance intervals for everything.
So, in answer to your question, I don't think you are over doing it at all. Follow the manufacturers recommended intervals, and all should be well.

Luck,
Bob

Bigbluedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Hank

I am in the same boat as you, however as my generator usage is very low per year I do it every other year.
One thing I have done is I found a very qualified RV/dieasel mech. that comes to my storage facility and services everything onsite.
I prebuy my oil/filters at wallmart/freightliner/Cat/Onan.
He has a flate rate of $120.00 labor for oil change, complete lube, and fuel/water separator change, plus vehicle inspection.
So for abot $200.00, slightly more when the genny oil is changed, its not so bad and he shows up right in front of my motorhome by appointment.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Hello Hank, we have an 04 CAT 330HP. The trick with this vintage CAT is the Heui pump which is lubricated by the oil. I change my oil myself, which is easier than my truck, and I do it at every 5K regardless. I know some may consider it overkill, but clean oil is the key to prolonging the life of the Heui pump which has a 100% failure rate, if you keep it long enough. I recently ran into a CAT certified journeyman mech. that said 5K miles was a good benchmark. We put 10-12K miles per year, i.e., 2 oil changes per year.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
Hello Hank, we have an 04 CAT 330HP. The trick with this vintage CAT is the Heui pump which is lubricated by the oil. I change my oil myself, which is easier than my truck, and I do it at every 5K regardless. I know some may consider it overkill, but clean oil is the key to prolonging the life of the Heui pump which has a 100% failure rate, if you keep it long enough. I recently ran into a CAT certified journeyman mech. that said 5K miles was a good benchmark. We put 10-12K miles per year, i.e., 2 oil changes per year.
Thanks for the advice. I think I will continue with my annual service program. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hank

Tags
cat