Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2016, 05:11 PM   #1

Short Term Storage

Need some advise on short term storage. Keep coach parked next to house with electric available. I leave slides in until ready to pack, then open to arm up for the trip. Questions are these - should I leave electric on with batteries on? Electric plugged in with batteries off?
Have coach leveled - does it hurt to leave struts out? Do they require any wipe down or external lubrication for either longevity or corrosion?
Would appreciate any thoughts or experience, fairly new at all of this!
Thank-you in advance.

Captain's Quarters
Winnebago Vista 36Y
2007 Honda CRV Blue Oxed TOAD
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HI
I would leave it plugged in and the batteries connected. As long as you have a decent charger that will drop to a maintenance level you will be fine.I also go out every couple of weeks and start the engine, generator and AC and run them for fifteen minutes or so.
The jacks should go down enough to take some of the weight off of the tires. If they are hydraulic then the pistons get sprayed with WD40 and wiped.
Many people have opinions on this and you could hear more but this is what I do. Have fun!
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You say short term storage, how long is that, a couple of weeks won't hurt. It's almost like using it except the batteries will always be charged.
As far as the jacks, the manual says to periodically wipe them down to remove debris, I believe.
I can say as I always like to say read the Owners Manual and the supplement manuals. They are what the warranties are based on for normal use and maintenance.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post
Need some advise on short term storage. Keep coach parked next to house with electric available. I leave slides in until ready to pack, then open to arm up for the trip. Questions are these - should I leave electric on with batteries on? Electric plugged in with batteries off?
Have coach leveled - does it hurt to leave struts out? Do they require any wipe down or external lubrication for either longevity or corrosion?
Would appreciate any thoughts or experience, fairly new at all of this!
Thank-you in advance.

Captain's Quarters
Winnebago Vista 36Y
2007 Honda CRV Blue Oxed TOAD
Plugged in and batteries online, this way they are always ready.

Wiping down the hydraulic ram rods will increase the lifespan of the seals, the WD-40 is a great way to keep them clean, but some will say only use the same type hydraulic fluid in the system.

As far as starting the engine and idling it for fifteen minutes, I would rethink that.

Unlike actually loading the generator by running the A/C and other electrical systems, your main engine will never fully develop operating temperature in fifteen minuets at idle.

What does happen is, it will develop (moisture) in the crank case, and the exhaust system as a by-product of burning fuel.

This in turn creates an acid in your engine oil that takes years off it's useful life.

I would not start and run the engine unless the coach was going to be driven at least 10 miles, and that minimum is following a long warm up period.

Driving and putting a load on the engine, raising the temperature, blowing, and evaporating the moisture out of it's crank case and exhaust system is the proper method for longevity.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Short term means different things to different people, but I never start the engine unless I will drive the coach long enough to get it to operating temp. I have cars that sit for 2-3 months at a time and I treat them the same way. If you have a smart charger that will not over-charge the batteries I would leave it plugged in and batteries on. If no smart charger, trip the battery disconnects and do not leave it plugged in. In that case, I likely would plug it in a day before I was going to use it to get everything charged up. I don't see a year on your coach ID so can't say on the jacks. Mine are HWH, and they have told me no harm to leave them down and no need to wipe or spray the rams unless there is a problem. Mine have never been touched, and have been down for months at a time. They have never given me a problem. If you have another brand, follow their instructions.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage