Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How to tell if accumulator tank (small-24oz)is working properly? I think the blatter in mine may be torn inside. Any help would be appreciated! art--- 2001 Journey
arthurval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

How to tell if accumulator tank (small-24oz)is working properly? I think the blatter in mine may be torn inside. Any help would be appreciated! art--- 2001 Journey
Old 09-18-2005, 03:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Explain any problem you are having so we can determine if thats the problem. I have never heard of a bladder being torn. These units are pretty much fail safe. There are number of other issues that maybe related.

Radarr
Old 09-18-2005, 02:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Your accumulator tank will keep the pump from cycling frequently. After you shut the water off, the pump should continue to run for a few seconds and then shut off. When you turn a faucet on, you should have water flow for a little while before the pump cycles back on. The larger the tank, the longer the duration before the pump cycles. I had a two gallon tank on my boat and I could draw water for maybe ten seconds before the pump cycled.

The bladders for a fact can tear. In the case of the larger tanks, there is an air fill valve - does yours have one? The bladder needs to have a certain air pressure in it for the water to push against.

Welcome to the forums!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the above two replies. How I got where I am ---- Sporadic water flow problems--found crack in strainer housing and replaced--all ok now. BUT,in messing around with water system,decided to check air pressure at air fitting on top of accumulator tank and found zero psi(should be 20psi) Aired it to 20psi, checked it and was back to zero. Thought I would ask about it on this forum. Pump starts immediately upon opening faucet,will stay on 5 to 10sec after closing faucet. This is what messin around does!! All replies appreciated.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It does sound as if you have an internal failure. Just as a thought, have you thought of contacting the folks at shur flo. In my dealings with them, they have been very willing to be helpful. 800-854-3218

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

CW has the tank for $36 if repair is out of scope.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?deptID=&skunum=2290&src=FPC

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:36 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Does sound as though your tank is watterlogged.

Just to double check the procedure, be sure when you checked the pressure and added the air, you shut off the water pump and opened a faucet. If the air did leak out through the shrader valve and the tank filled with water, you'll find that it will take very little air. Since water is non-compressable, a small shot of air will pressureize the tank if the faucets are closed. Since such a tiny bit of air can be added, it will usually just escape again when the pressure is checked again.

By trying to add air with the faucets open and water pump and city water disconnected, the air will push the water out of the tank and empty the internal bladder inside the accumulator if it is still intact. Once the tank is empty, you now pressurize the tank and to 20 PSI as a pre-charge on the tank. After precharging the tank, when you turn the pump back on, it will pump water into the tank compressing the air until the tank pressure reaches the cut of limit of the pump. Once pressurized, you can then flow water until the tank reduces to the turn on pressure again of the pump.

Good luck with it.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all. Interior bladder torn--Camping World-$36.--I'm on my way!! Art 2001 Journey