Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

We got back from our weekend trip. This was the second time we drove this Highway with the Winnebago, and I've made the same trip with our previous 5er a dozen times. The road is fairly narrow in parts, and had a new layer of asphalt put on a year or so ago. On this trip the side to side rolling feeling seems pretty extreme. Never felt like I was going to roll over, but sure did feel like it was bouncing side to side at times. I plan to weight the rig and check my pressure compared to the actual weight.

But this feeling is a concern to me. I'd like to stiffen that up while hopefully not totally making the rig drive like a school bus. Is this something air bags would help, or shocks?

We had 2/3 fuel, about 18 gallons of black and 25 gallons of grey water - empty fresh water. Also had the ATV trailer hooked up.

Any thoughts? I'll be going the same route in a couple of weeks so I'm curious once I weight and adjust the air pressure in the tires if that helps or not.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We got back from our weekend trip. This was the second time we drove this Highway with the Winnebago, and I've made the same trip with our previous 5er a dozen times. The road is fairly narrow in parts, and had a new layer of asphalt put on a year or so ago. On this trip the side to side rolling feeling seems pretty extreme. Never felt like I was going to roll over, but sure did feel like it was bouncing side to side at times. I plan to weight the rig and check my pressure compared to the actual weight.

But this feeling is a concern to me. I'd like to stiffen that up while hopefully not totally making the rig drive like a school bus. Is this something air bags would help, or shocks?

We had 2/3 fuel, about 18 gallons of black and 25 gallons of grey water - empty fresh water. Also had the ATV trailer hooked up.

Any thoughts? I'll be going the same route in a couple of weeks so I'm curious once I weight and adjust the air pressure in the tires if that helps or not.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Weighing, adjusting the load if necessary and correct air pressure will help. When my rear tires are low I find when I am stopped in the left lane and cars/trucks passing on the right the wind effect is more severe. Correct air pressure lessens this...Also try filling the fresh water tank when you travel 100 gal x 8.3 lbs = 830 lbs.
Now I don't want to start a war or major argument..but really,,how much better mileage are you gonna get with a empty water tank..as I said before I prefer the ride...Get the correct tire pressure and add the water and see what happens. If push comes to shove you can always add front and rear track bars...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks seems like I'm on the right path with the scales. Wish I could get a weight on each tire, may need to see if my friend at the concrete plant could help me out, if not a standard weight will be better then nothing.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Now,, again I really don't know how much differance it will make but in the Workhorse Manual they tell you to use the 1/2 the distance between the tires as the midway of the coach when weighing the four corners ..
I would assume that you would want to use this for front and back weights also..

I always used the total length of the coach divided by two as the center for weighing evidently I was wrong...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Not to sound mean or anything, but could it be that you're over-compensating in the steering? I found myself doing this when I first bought my Class A. I was trying to get 'er to perform like a car and when it strayed just a bit, I would turn the wheel in the opposite direction.

Finally, when I let the coach be a motorhome, it seemed like the swaying stopped! It was me.
Mach428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mach428:
Not to sound mean or anything, but could it be that you're over-compensating in the steering? I found myself doing this when I first bought my Class A. I was trying to get 'er to perform like a car and when it strayed just a bit, I would turn the wheel in the opposite direction.

Finally, when I let the coach be a motorhome, it seemed like the swaying stopped! It was me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are on the right track. When you are in a motorhome your seat bottom is almost 6 feet above the road and your head is almost 8 feet above the road. The effect is similar to being in the crows nest of a ship and any swaying is amplified due to the height.

Aftermarket sway bars can help but there may be some trade-offs with harshness under certain road conditions.