Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-19-2007, 03:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Do any of you have a king sleep number bed? Our MH came with one from the factory and I have a question about the platform that supports it. Ours is not the full dimensions of the bed. The edges of the platform are 2-3 inches short on the sides and 3-4 inches short at the foot. Our dealer says this is the way they come from Winnebago; Sleep Number folks say that the bed should be supported fully; Winnebago isn't quite sure??? So what do my trusted advisors from the forum think?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Do any of you have a king sleep number bed? Our MH came with one from the factory and I have a question about the platform that supports it. Ours is not the full dimensions of the bed. The edges of the platform are 2-3 inches short on the sides and 3-4 inches short at the foot. Our dealer says this is the way they come from Winnebago; Sleep Number folks say that the bed should be supported fully; Winnebago isn't quite sure??? So what do my trusted advisors from the forum think?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Dave and Fran ..

We have a factory installed queen size sleep number bed. Our platform is slightly wider (probably 2 inches) than our mattress and the same length as the mattress.

We have an '04 Journey
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have a queen size sleep number as well and the platform is the same size as the mattress. We also have a sleep number at home and it is also the same size as the mattress. Sounds like the Winnebago folks placed a King mattress on a Queen platform.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

This is why I love this forum...straight answers the first time. Thank you all so much for verification of your bed set-up. I'll contact the dealer and suggest they ship me the correct mattress. Thank you again.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Add me to the list of having a platform slightly larger than our Sleep Number mattress.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I doubt that the platform was built for a Queen Size. A full king mattress is 16 inches wider than a Queen and is the same length. 76" X 80"
If it's a Cal King then it's 72" X 84" Either way 2-3 inches doesn't seem to add up to the mismatch. It's probably Winnie saving space.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:17 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

The foundation of our sleep number bed at home goes full side to side, and I would think it must be that way in the RV too or the edges will begin to break down. Rather then have them get a Queen sleep number I'd request they replace the platform with a king size one. If you remove the mattress, close all sides then you can see if it would hit anything when closed - if it would you have a different problem and may have to go with a Queen. We have a Kink non-sleep number and I would be pretty upset if I had to go to a Queen when I wanted this unit since it had a King. Good luck.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #9
B K
Winnebago Camper

I had to open up my bed and there's foam supports around the perimeter surrounding the bladders. I would think the whole mattress should be supported.

B K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do any of you have a king sleep number bed? Our MH came with one from the factory and I have a question about the platform that supports it. Ours is not the full dimensions of the bed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have the king size sleep number mattrass and it is completely supported by the platform. No overhang at all either on the sides or rear.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We bought a 5000 series (has an extra foam pad on top) and installed it in our '04 Suncruiser. The platform on that coach model and our current coach model did/do NOT extend out length- or width-wise of the mattress. I believe Winne only makes bed supports for short queen beds...no one is supposed to be that tall, I guess.

If (biggie IF) they would change it out for the proper size, I'd love to know about it.

Rose
Old 10-20-2007, 02:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Yguy has it right. I too would be very upset if I had to settle for a smaller bed..
Check to see if there is room for a larger foundation and keep the mattress you have, if at all possible. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We recently bought our motorhome and are having our first experience with the sleep number bed. I hate to say so but so far I fail to see what all the hype is about them. I don't think they are that comfortable. I have tried setting it at 45,55,and 65 and so far haven't found it that great. The only advantage I see so far is that it is a lot lighter to lift up to access the underbed storage. HELP!! What am I missing???

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Paul, I would highly suggest going to one of the many Sleep Number beds at the many malls or other locations. Their staff can assist you in finding your correct sleep number and not guessing at one. I started off at a 35 and have moved to about a 40. I would love to have one in our coach, but for now I'll continue to enjoy the one at home.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We have the king size sleep number bed. The board under the mattress is fully supported by the frame. The mattress is the right size. BUT, it moves around on the board and must be "re-centered" once in a while.

2008 Saturn Vue toad
mpatte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

OK...Winnebago is going to send out another mattress that is a queen, which should fit the platform. We are fine with the queen size instead of a king and so this solution is OK by us. Question I have for you guys out there with these beds that are factory installed: where does the air pump sit? Is this something that I could change out easily or will I need to deliver it back to the dealer (120 miles one way) to have it installed.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

We have a 39W Journey (bed is crosswise) ... the pump is located at the back of the little nite stand on the rear side of the bed on our coach ...

Take out the drawer and you can see it at the back ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

We have a full queen sleep number bed, but the platform is the shorter queen size, so it is shorter than the bed and not quite as wide. It has not presented a problem, but we don't sit on the foot of the bed because of it.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Forgot to mention that I put heavy duty velcro to keep the mattress from sliding around the platform. Works great!

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
In our Journey 34H the Sleep Number mattress was a "short queen" only 75 inches long instead of the standard queen length of 80 inches. Even at that the plaform was too short and narrow and the mattress was hanging over in all directions.

We have memory foam at home and we never did get used to the Sleep Number mattress. So we sold the Sleep Number bed and replaced it with a custom order memory foam mattress only 74" long from RV Interiors in Vancouver, WA. We are sleeping much better now.

Also, keep the matress from sliding around on the platform with a roll of RubberMaid rug gripper fabric. Works perfectly and nothing has to be permanenly fastened to any surface.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote