RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2018, 06:56 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Slide Catching Cabinet

2003 Ultimate Advantage 40a ... A few days ago when I bought the large galley slide in, it caught the end cabinet behind the slide and began to push the forward edge inward. After removing all the small drawers in the stationary cabinet and inserting my upper half under the galley sink and into a small access hole I found the primary problem to be a large metal box/clamp that is fitted around the plumbing, drain, etc hose cluster that moves with the slide. The metal box forces a 90 degree turn to behind the sink. As the slide comes in, the box twists slightly and catches the rear edge of the side panel on the stationary cabinet. By holding the cluster slightly forward I can easily help it clear. Over the next 2-3 days, about 1/2 day at a time, I spent a good bit of time trying to disagnose & fix the problem. It appeared a number of large cable ties had loosened and allowed the hoses to shift. I removed loose ties and replaced them, rearranging the hoses as I went. I loosened the box and twisted it to get it back straight. For extra insurance, I added a sheet metal skid plate to bump the metal box over the edge where it was catching. It was a failure ... when I tried again to bring in it, the box began to twist as it approached the critical point and bent the sheet metal enough to catch it.

Back to square one ... this time I plan to bring the slide inward almost to the critical point where it will be right at the access hole, totally remove it, bend it back into shape, and attempt to reinstall it so it is straight up at this critical point. I am thinking also of a thicker steel skid plate, just thick enough that it cannot be bent.

Suggestiong? Anyone had a similar problem? I would hat to have to totally dismantle the stationary cabinet, or even to remove the counter top (which would be a major chore)...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #2
Commercial Member

ask winnebago service. im sure they have seen this problem before.
winnebago designed that part, so im sure they will be able to help.
paul

azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:47 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Would you post a picture of this area that might give us some ideas. I have the UA40J and the sink drain is in the slide.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by depchief View Post
Would you post a picture of this area that might give us some ideas. I have the UA40J and the sink drain is in the slide.
Best description I can provide right now with pictures is on my site at Slide Catching Cabinet
Old 12-30-2018, 06:08 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Looking at the pictures do you feel this issue has been since new. I would guess the box and the other piece of steel have moved to the left. Can you see how it is fastened, possibly crowbar it back to original position

Question please: Have you ever removed your Valances, looking at mine the angle is attached to the wall, but the part on the Valance I cannot feel any screw heads under the fabric
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 12-31-2018, 08:48 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The box has been scraping the cabinet side for some time from the scars, but I think it became a problem because the cable ties got a bit loose and allowed the bundle to shift just a little. The clearances are pretty close, so it wouldn't take much.

The metal box/clamp is comes into two pieces, held together on the top by two screws. Part comes off, and the part that stays is cable-tied to the bundle along the top in one or two places. I took the box apart and could feel a bend in the arm going along the top of the bundle (the arm makes the 90 degree turn). I bent it back into position as best I could, and reassembled the box. Believe now I will have to totally remove both parts of the box to ensure it is totally straightened, and that it is is correctly positioned when cable-tied back in place on the 90 degree bend.

Yes, I have removed my valences/Lambriquins when I put up MCD shades. I used a right-angle screwdriver to remove the screws holding the angle brackets to the wall. Once the shades are removed (screwed into the top) I can see either the screws holding the valence to the bottom of the cabinet, or in the bedroom, larger angle braces that the valence top rests on and is secured to, and the screws attaching the valence to the angles.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:39 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
UPDATE

I figured out how to pull on the hose cluster while DW pressed the switch to bring the slide in, and continued our travel to visit kids & g-kids through the New Year.

After returning to our Texas home base I figured out how to dismantle the under counter drawer cabinet so I could see and get to the hose cluster and clamp better. After totally removing the clamp, I found it badly bent & distorted. I straightened it and straightened the hose cluster & added cable ties. I was not comfortable with the very tight clearance of the metal clamp as the hose cluster coiled & uncoiled between cabinets, so I figure out how to move the rear mounts for the drawers about 3/8" over to make more clearance.

After lots of trial and error I got the cabinet back together and everything working smoothly. Due to moving the rear glide mounts I had to make the front of the cabinet slight off square so the drawers would properly close & latch. I doubt that 99% of people would notice the difference, and whether they do or not, it is worth it to know there is more clearance under the cabinet than there was!!

More description of what I had to do along with several pictures is posted on my personal site at the following direct link ... Galley Slide Problem --- Catching on Stationary Cabinet
Old 01-26-2019, 06:16 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Glad you figured out the issue and contorted yourself to make the modifications.
I assume the hoses where OK and not chafed from the movements
Good Job Paul

"Everyone Goes Home"

Tags
cat, slide